VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I mentioned that my sister is a photographer in another thread (link)

I dabble in film photography. I have a collection of vintage film cameras that I'm pretty proud of (you can see some of them here). Unfortunately I don't have any of my images scanned in. I'm not very good so most of them are not spectacular, but some of them look as if they were taken by a professional with a DSLR 😀

The film I use is mostly off-brand super-cheap B&W stuff since I don't have any money and I don't want to make my father pay for my stupid hobby 🤣, but once in a while I splurge on some color film.

TL;DR---->

[rant] Now I want to say something about color film. The vast majority of it these days is color negative, which means when the film is developed you get a strip of film with the colors reversed, which is usually scanned and the colors switched back digitally. In the early days of widespread color photography (early 40's), the most widely available film was Kodak's Kodachrome. This film is color positive, i.e. you get a filmstrip back from the developer with the colors correct and not reversed. The film is then cut and placed into slides, which are viewed on a slide projector. We still have color positive film today, but my point is this: Kodak's first iteration of Kodachrome was (and this is subjective) the finest film ever created. Photos taken with this film display a sharpness, color tone, and general appeal that has never been replicated with any other film or digital filter. It was also used for a lot of movies ("Technicolor"? Just Kodachrome by another name!) I'm talking about the first iteration, not Kodachrome II, X, 25, or 64. The best photos were processed directly by Kodak, back when they wouldn't let any other company process their film. In 1954 the government decided to break this up instead of encouraging competition, and something about the developing process changed. The photos no longer had that special quality. They were still excellent, excellent photos, still not surpassed by anything, but something was lost with that process change, most notably a little of the softness of the color tone. Oh well. If I ever have the opportunity (like if I end up a billionaire with money to burn) I will try to recreate the original Kodachrome and the original K-1 developing process. [/rant]

OK sorry for the rant. So, anyone else do digital or film photography here?

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 1 of 8, by Anonymous Freak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As an amateur, absolutely. Got hooked on photography in high school, after taking our photography class. Got to borrow cheap SLRs, develop the film and print the pictures in-school. (Had a nice BIG darkroom, with 3 photo printing stations, two that could do up to 8x10, and one that could do much larger, I don't recall how large.)

Here are a couple of the photos from my first roll of film: http://imgur.com/a/Cfkq1

While in college, my aunt gave me her ex-husband's Canon AE-1 (he left suddenly, and left his whole fancy camera setup behind!) Body plus 4 lenses of various types. Really nice setup, that was my main rig for a few years. Took a day trip to the Grand Canyon with a couple college friends (yes, we did the "to the bottom and back up in one day", which there are numerous signs warning you *NOT* to do,) used up six rolls of film, got half a dozen "good" pictures. Went to the "50th Anniversary of the US Air Force" airshow at Edwards Air Force Base, likewise took a couple hundred pictures, got a few good ones. Edit: Here are a few of Gen. Chuck Yeager's supersonic fly-by and landing: http://imgur.com/a/HJ5eO

Went digital in 1999, buying a Sony DSC-F505, a very unique-looking camera. At the time, most digital cameras were designed to look like standard "point and shoot" film cameras, the F505 had a truly "only possible with digital" design. Thinking digital was the future (now!) I got rid of my film camera. (Gave it back to my aunt, as she had decided to become a professional photographer - her 4th "career".) Yeah, should have kept it. The F505 was nice, but digital cameras didn't really get much better than that for years. I kept buying new ones, with higher and higher megapixel counts, and they never got much better. (I couldn't afford any of the early DSLRs, sticking with "prosumer" non-SLR digitals.) I'd say it was only 2009 or 2010 when I finally got a "takes as good pictures as my film camera did" non-DSLR digital camera. Then a couple years ago, with the advent of mirrorless interchangeable-lens cameras, finally got a truly good digicam - the Nikon 1 AW1 (WATERPROOF with swappable lenses! And part of their "Nikon 1" line, so I have other (non-waterproof) lenses to go with it, too.)

And, going with the cat theme, here are photos from my other mentioned cameras over the years: http://imgur.com/a/KU9wP

Reply 2 of 8, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hipster power...... too strong!! 🤣

Nah jk.

I've had the hobby on-and-off for a few years. I'll get into it and go on photography trips for a while, then not take a single photo for months, 20 GOTO 10.

Initially I built up a huge kit of film and digital gear, but later sold off most of it once I worked out what I use the most. It's nice to have loads of gear to scratch your "but what if I want to.....?" itch, but in reality most of it gathers dust most of the time, and the economics just didn't add up for me.

For shooting film, I have a Canon AE-1P, almost exclusively used with a 50mm f/1.4 FD mount lens. I also have an FD 70-200 f/4 that barely gets any use (mostly because the 50mm lens on full-frame is just so damn USEFUL!), and a creaky-squeaky Canon T70 body with data-back that I'm going to service and use "some day".

As for which film, Fujifilm Superia 200 and 400, Kodak Ektachrome 100,and sometimes Fuji Velvia 100. Fujicolor Pro 800Z if I'm feeling a little adventurous (the grain is actually rather endearing for something so fast, also surprisingly generous latitude), but overall nothing really exotic. I've used Ilford 125 and the famous Tri-X 400, but unless I'm developing the film myself, I'm not fussed on B&W.

For digital, I have a Canon 1100D, which is mainly used with a Tamron 17-55 f/2.8 or Canon 70-200 f/4L. Both lovely lenses with plenty of practical application.

I have a Canonet rangefinder there too, but haven't touched it in a while, the film door foam needs re-doing. Might sell it some day, haven't decided yet.

I have a flickr account with a fair bit on it, but it hasn't been updated in yonks. I may share it some day! 😜

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 3 of 8, by Anonymous Freak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As for "hipster power" - earlier this year on a lark I bought an Argus C3 from a thrift shop! Can take surprisingly high-quality pictures if you get the settings dialed in.

Reply 5 of 8, by seob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Use to photograph a lot, but nowadays i don't shoot that often.
This weekend i took this picture with my iPhone.

image.jpeg
Filename
image.jpeg
File size
2.05 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

My wife is a parttime photographer.

Reply 6 of 8, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not really interested to go deeper, and I have rather shaky hands due to my previous alcoholism (I have been totally sober though). Still, I like to take some photos here and here if the scene was interesting.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 7 of 8, by ScoutPilot19

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'am a photographer - it's my profession and the main passion in life. Of course I prefer Film phorography. I have a Minolta Dimage Scan Elite 5400 film scanner for 35mm films. I like all kind of films - BW, C41 Color NEgative and E-6 Color Slide. Especcially I preferr slide. I gain money by digital photography, but nearly hate it) ... The day they stop produce films I'll throw all my cameras in a lake - like the Excalibur (joke)...

SO about films. In BW I like Ilford - especcially PAN 400 - which I often develop as 1600 or 800 iso in D-76. Then PAn 100, fp4+ ... Sometimes, Kodak TRIX-400 or 125+. About the color - in many cases I like simple, cheap, nonprofessional FUJI SUPERIA 200. But it's stable, gives a good picture and can be pushed to 800 iso - in many cases it's as good as professional films. When I have money I buy also EKTAR-100)

And in E-6 - Fuji Velvia 50, Velvia 100 and Provia 100. Few years ago I used Kodak slide - but it's or discontinued or no more sent to Moscow...

That's it... I have strange opinion about professional "portrait" films - but its a big discussion...

And here's a link - ChaosConstruction, retrocomputer party in St. Petersburg on Fuji Superia 200 as 800 iso.

http://imgur.com/a/MCSNu

Reply 8 of 8, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like taking photographs and more recently making small movies outdoors, but I'm not as good as what I see other people creating.

I especially like the sky pic a lot 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!