VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Most VR headsets include features like 3D displays and motion tracking. These features usually require the use of special drivers and often require that the software/game be specifically written to work with them.

Are there any VR headsets (new or old) that can plugged into a desktop computer and used as just a dumb display, without installing the special software or using those extra features?

Why would I want this? Well, I once played the Virtuality arcade games and I liked that once you put on the helmet, you couldn't see the real world any more, you could only see the game. At first it seemed crappy, like you were looking through a tube, but by the end of the game, it really looked like I was standing inside the game. I've always wanted something similar for use at home. However, the 3D and motion tracking features aren't important to me, I just want the display. Why?

3D - I'm completely blind in one eye, so no 3D display is ever going to work for me. As far as me personally, it's a useless feature.

Motion Tracking - I'd like to be able to use it with ANY game, even DOS FPS games in DOSBox and those games aren't going to support motion tracking. Maybe if it emulated a mouse so that the game would respond normally, but that's really not important to me.

I would just like a VR type headset that I can plug into a desktop machine (I have VGA, DVI and HDMI outputs on my video card), load up any game and play it while viewing it in the headset.

Does such a thing exist?

Reply 1 of 6, by vladstamate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes. For HTC Vive you can get "Virtual Desktop" (and I think there are other software on Steam as well that do same thing). While it IS 3D, you can ignore that. It will effectively make your Windows 10 appear in front of your eyes when you wear the headset. Then you can run DOSBox and bliss!

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7HbC_nq8t1S9l7qGYL0mTA
Collection: http://www.digiloguemuseum.com/index.html
Emulator: https://sites.google.com/site/capex86/
Raytracer: https://sites.google.com/site/opaqueraytracer/

Reply 2 of 6, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vladstamate wrote:

Yes. For HTC Vive you can get "Virtual Desktop" (and I think there are other software on Steam as well that do same thing). While it IS 3D, you can ignore that. It will effectively make your Windows 10 appear in front of your eyes when you wear the headset. Then you can run DOSBox and bliss!

In other words, it needs special software and does not function as just a dumb display.

I want something that can be used on virtually any desktop regardless of age or Windows version, as long as it has whatever type output the headset requires. I don't want to have to install special software to use it. I basically just wanted a small display mounted in a headset.

Such a device would probably take about 5 minutes for a tech guy to rig up from a small OEM LCD display module, but I don't have the faintest clue how to do that. I once watched a video on YouTube that claimed you could take the LCD display out of the viewfinder of an old camcorder or digital camera and use it to make your own headset, but it was a lot of "Look for the active signal and trace it back to the Chroma output, then just use your scope to isolate the Luma..."

Reply 4 of 6, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I/o glasses can. They're old, in fact one could call them the first vr head set for computers.
I have a set, they're not that bad.

They even have dos drivers not that you need them. And they have separate screens for watch eye. The tracking can be set to emulate mouse movement

If you want to use them on a PC with tracking your need the PC version.

Reply 5 of 6, by Anonymous Freak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Most "VR headsets" made before 2014 are really just dumb displays.

See the Sony Glasstron (How I lusted over those when they first came out.)

Reply 6 of 6, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Oculus DK1 uses DVI or HDMI for video and just acts as a second head. You can mirror or span your main display on it if you like. The tracking, etc. stuff is done via the interface box which connects to USB. Bonus: they're dirt cheap right now.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!