VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 24, by calvin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
spiroyster wrote:
I just find it strange use of terminology used to publically name a version, since it gives no merit to end-testers/users. Its a […]
Show full quote
calvin wrote:

RC is the stage after beta - they just keep releasing RCs until they think it's good enough to ship, at which point they take the RC label off and call it stable.

I just find it strange use of terminology used to publically name a version, since it gives no merit to end-testers/users. Its an internal phrase for a non-regression tested beta, but its still a beta? Where I work, distinguishing it as a beta (as opposed to release) is also important for liable reasons, i.e we cannot support, nor be held responsible for non-release (beta) versions.

Seems like MS have been doing this years (trying to figure what the phrase means that is) 😀
http://www.informationweek.com/analysts-micro … /d/d-id/1046790

The difference is in the development cycle. In the RC, you won't be seeing any more changes but bug and security fixes. Betas and alphas are more volatile.

2xP2 450, 512 MB SDR, GeForce DDR, Asus P2B-D, Windows 2000
P3 866, 512 MB RDRAM, Radeon X1650, Dell Dimension XPS B866, Windows 7
M2 @ 250 MHz, 64 MB SDE, SiS5598, Compaq Presario 2286, Windows 98

Reply 21 of 24, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I recently ported an old game to modern Windows. I started with VS2013 but was never able to get it to build an EXE that would run on XP, no matter what I tried. In the end, I gave up and switched to MinGW.

Visual Studio is overrated. I think I'd rather just use GCC + Eclipse CDT everywhere.

Reply 22 of 24, by calvin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Never liked GNU utilities, usually find other stuff like the BSDs' utilities higher quality; but alas, GCC was unavoidable for a long time though.

I can't take anyone who likes Eclipse seriously though.

2xP2 450, 512 MB SDR, GeForce DDR, Asus P2B-D, Windows 2000
P3 866, 512 MB RDRAM, Radeon X1650, Dell Dimension XPS B866, Windows 7
M2 @ 250 MHz, 64 MB SDE, SiS5598, Compaq Presario 2286, Windows 98

Reply 23 of 24, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've worked with C++ in both Visual Studio and Eclipse CDT. My experience is that the former has horrendously arcane menus (as opposed to CDT's moderately arcane menus) and extremely lazy code indexing that results in more delays when attempting to navigate code relationships and/or open new code files.

I also end up having to hand-massage Visual Studio's project/solution XML files more often than not, which I've almost never had to do with CDT.

The main reason I use CDT, however, is that I do most of my C++ coding on Linux, and there just isn't a better C++ IDE available there (I've tried several).

Reply 24 of 24, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't imagine the head fucky-ness involved with writing and debugging a WPF/XAML app in Eclipse CDT 😵

Yes VS does have its intellisense quirks, and VC slightly lags behind GCC wrt the c++ standard sometimes, but the profiling tools and debugger are some of the best around on the windows platform imo.