VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I hope I'm posting in the right place after the recent forum/categories changes... If not, I did try 🤣

So, I really don’t know why I haven’t posted this earlier…

Long story short: I used to run a BBS (link for the younger among us 😀 ) in the early 90s. Things moved on of course and the first sparkles of dial-up Internet were enough for me to forget everything about it.

Until ~2013 when, while going through some old boxes about to have a close encounter with the recycling bin, I found some backup CDs of mine. One of them had the BBS directory!

I used DosBox (plus a lot of tweaking) just to get it to run one more time locally and the feelings… Oh. My. God. The feelings.

That was an era guys, a special era. I couldn’t just pass. (Big parenthesis: this thing http://www.bbsdocumentary.com/ is the best thing ever if you want to learn about BBSs or recall those years. I’m telling you, it’s excellent)

I had to get it back online. So I did 😀

First of all, the goals: This was not going to be of course an active BBS, operating like 20 years ago. I envisioned it as an “attraction”, not a live system. A BBS demo if you want, being online for everyone to learn what a BBS is, or revisit one. A lot of outdated things had to go. For example message boards, time banks, connection limits, FidoNet, BlueWave… Did I ring a bell for anyone or not yet? 😁

The most important goal was to keep the feeling of what a real BBS was. Things that had no meaning anymore were indeed removed, but others like Menu navigation methods and popular Doors all are authentic, exactly as they were back then!

So back to reality, it had to be accessible over the Internet, which means Telnet. And probably some web site because I’m not sure everyone would go through the Telnet thing just to see some ANSIs.

And it is,

Old Time’s Sake BBS is available through:
1) Its web site: http://otsbbs.eu
A nice HTML5 WebSocket plugin does the rest. Should be working even for mobile devices, no money-back guarantee for this though. (Obviously click "Connect"!)

2) Direct telnet at konchoulias.no-ip.org, port: 2323
A proper Telnet client which can display ANSIs correctly is attached below (doesn’t even need installation, and yes, Windows telnet client sucks big time):

Filename
mtelb12.zip
File size
137.63 KiB
Downloads
66 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The web site is perfect for anyone who just wants to see what all this is about, whereas direct Telnet is highly recommended from a real retro-PC.
Trust me, it can't get more real than some pure DOS PC running mTCP and Telnet-ing to konchoulias.no-ip.org:2323 for a full screen ANSI orgasm!

Finally and for once more: Don't expect to find a live community here with people exchanging messages. This is only a sight-seeing, a dead-but-real snapshot of what a BBS looked like in the early 90s.

The "Guest" account/username is completely unrestricted, anyone not really interested can log in with it and browse around. But hopefully some will go thought the process of creating a 100%-no-purpose-account, just for the "Old Time's Sake" of it 🤣

In case anyone is interested more in the BBS scene, http://www.telnetbbsguide.com/ is essentially the ultimate guide for it nowadays.

OK, since the advertisement is over I'd really like to read some comments. BBSs were a huge, elusive for many and determinant for others subject.

Thanks for reading all this! 🤣

Last edited by konc on 2017-01-25, 16:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 12, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for a great read and well done getting this back online! I'm at work ATM so no BBS for me, but will check it out when I get home.

Ah the pleasure and pain of the BBS days! I had a friend who's brother ran a reasonably successful BBS so was lucky in that he upped the permissions on my account to get access to all of the good stuff, but more often than not it was just easier to walk to his house with a stack of floppies and grab it the old fashioned way. Connection limits, people picking up the phone, and the never-fast-enought dial up modem were an excersise in frustration.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2 of 12, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I see you are using mTCP Telnet ...

I get an occasional report on incompatibilities with some Telnet servers, especially BBSes. I've got a few fixes in but if there are more problems out there I'd like to nail them down.

Have you noticed any weirdness when using mTCP Telnet? Any screen rendering problems?

Reply 3 of 12, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mbbrutman wrote:

I see you are using mTCP Telnet ...

I get an occasional report on incompatibilities with some Telnet servers, especially BBSes. I've got a few fixes in but if there are more problems out there I'd like to nail them down.

Have you noticed any weirdness when using mTCP Telnet? Any screen rendering problems?

Well I'm not really using mTCP Telnet (although I'm abusing the FTP part of it, a big thank you!) since I can run the BBS locally to do any maintenance/testing, which is always better of course.
But I've tried it a couple of times just to experience full screen ANSIs under pure DOS again and I can tell you it was more than satisfying.

I'd position the BBS somewhere in the upper part of ANSI complexity and control codes density. Apart from static stuff it also uses a number of utilities that implement "animation", cursor-controlled menus with bars, door games... mTCP manages 99% of it, for comparison Windows telnet displays correctly a generous 10%.

As an example of the (very) few visual glitches I've noticed so far, the following is the "checking for new messages" ANSI which runs after login. It's one fancy ANSI, "animated" with a progress bar "checking" and progress is "updated" after every step. (try to ignore the stretched/deformed windows CMD prompt screenshot)

mail_correct.jpg
Filename
mail_correct.jpg
File size
92.57 KiB
Views
File license
mail_glitch.jpg
Filename
mail_glitch.jpg
File size
81.77 KiB
Views
File license

I've only noticed a few similar visual glitches, nothing compromising functionality until now. Static screens are all rendered perfectly

m1.jpg
Filename
m1.jpg
File size
95.76 KiB
Views
File license

But hey, what am I writing here? You're the expert, why don't you pay a visit to Old Time's Sake BBS and see for yourself? We'll be honored to host your account! 🤣

Reply 6 of 12, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also only messed round on BBS's for a year or 2.
Firstly with a hand me down 2400 bps Netcomm Automodem 1234 (and still have)
fs-252.jpg

Then for a litte bit longer after we got a 33.6 modem and the internet but don't think I lasted that longafter that point.

I always used the Communications package in Works 3.0
3x-win-093cb2fcb02d3a897672afe0633597c7-Microsoft%20Works%203%20Win%20-%20Menu.png

I'm not even sure how I found out to use that or any other software, remember no internet to look up how to do this stuff!
Even with the ASCI art there was something nice and clean about the interfaces.

Liked how the downloads link to era correct games, know I got a few shareware titles back then, took a weeks but was worth it

Reply 7 of 12, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tried this, but kept getting Unable to connect to konchoulias.no-ip.org:1123 message.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 8 of 12, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

hehehe thanks guys and please do enjoy your ANSIs 😉 To be honest I was expecting a lot more hype on this (don't get me wrong, I mean on the BBS thing, not mine in particular!) but apparently its a controversial topic. Some have fond memories of the BBS scene, others don't even know what they were.

@chinny22: wow, that's the first time I see this! Trust me, it wasn't common. Most of us were using pure DOS terminals 🤣 The 2400bps should have been good enough only for the first ASCII UIs. When complex ANSIs became the standard I guess it just became unusable (not even talking about downloading the first shareware doom!)

@ Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman: Sorry dude, I have no clue what's going on. Unless your IP starts with 60.165... If so, by having a quick look at the log and the time you posted your message, you're blacklisted in Spamhaus' DNSBLs for some reason. If this is not your IP just forget everything and stick to " I have no clue". Sorry again!

Reply 9 of 12, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

(Deleted, not relevant anymore 😜 )

Last edited by JayCeeBee64 on 2017-08-01, 02:10. Edited 3 times in total.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 10 of 12, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just for the record, what you're showing is the now freeware Biomenace, exactly as it is available for download from the official site, which still contains the original file_id.diz. But yeah, this was the case in most boards. A certain way to get calls and users 🤣
And because I can't pm you I'll write this here: I don't think it was very wise to make this public, even though this specific file is perfectly OK. I just threw a couple of files in there, just for something to exist. Now you'll make me go through all of those to see if they can be shared on not. I'd appreciate if you could edit your post, remove the photo and reword it a bit, just so that we don't have any references to piracy (even false ones) here.

Edit: Just saw you did it, thanks dude 😉 Better safe than sorry! No worries, the file was OK anyway but maybe others are not

Reply 11 of 12, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

(Deleted, no longer relevant anymore 😜)

Last edited by JayCeeBee64 on 2019-07-25, 04:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 12 of 12, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JayCeeBee64 wrote:
Yes, I know BioMenace is freeware now. I was just having a good chuckle about seeing something like that after so many years. So […]
Show full quote

Yes, I know BioMenace is freeware now. I was just having a good chuckle about seeing something like that after so many years. Sorry to cause any trouble about it 🙁

And since you're apparently upset with me now, I'll stay away. No use trying to excuse my indiscretion here.

Once again, I'm really sorry.

(Goes back to his cave).

Hey, relax! No harm done and of course we're totally good 😎 What you described was indeed very common back then and nowadays brings back those exciting memories. But that's the point with this BBS going online again, isn't it? 😉