VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So right now i'm hitting capacity on all of my drives for storage of stuff I don't use often. I've never used tape backup and from what I read it's not really a medium meant for accessing data often. What I would want it for is ISO files mostly. I'd like to have a tape with a complete gamecube, xbox, ps1 ISO set, etc. Maybe accessing each tape a couple times a month. Would this be practical or would it cause too much wear on the tape?

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 1 of 19, by vladstamate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why not Blu-Ray ? Much faster to access, they have a fairly long life and can store 50Gb per disk.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7HbC_nq8t1S9l7qGYL0mTA
Collection: http://www.digiloguemuseum.com/index.html
Emulator: https://sites.google.com/site/capex86/
Raytracer: https://sites.google.com/site/opaqueraytracer/

Reply 2 of 19, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I thought of that first, but I need terabyte or near terabyte capacities. That's why i'm looking at LTO-4 and LTO-5 tape. I'm looking at a dell powervault 124T right now.

Reply 4 of 19, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Fewer moving parts, less complexity, less vulnerability to physical shocks. If your data is worth it to you then tape is the way to go.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 5 of 19, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You just said you've reached capacity on your storage but you want to use tape for backup. Which is it? Is the tape a backup or will it be the only copy of your data?

Stating the obvious here, It's not a backup if there isn't at least one other copy.

Since you won't have the storage to test a full restore I recommend testing restores of a percentage of your data quarterly.
Review the documentation for the tapes and make sure they are stored and handled properly.
They are tape backups so don't be accessing them frequently to restore data.
Clean your tape drive.
Don't leave your tapes in the drive. It's a backup. Treat it like one.
I've been out of the tape game awhile but I believe there was functionality that was released that lets you access the tape drive as if it was just another drive. Can't remember the name.

EDIT LTFS is what I was thinking of. You may want to look into that since it may get rid of using proprietary software to access your backups, think you still have to load a client but the standard is open.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 19, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:
You just said you've reached capacity on your storage but you want to use tape for backup. Which is it? Is the tape a backup or […]
Show full quote

You just said you've reached capacity on your storage but you want to use tape for backup. Which is it? Is the tape a backup or will it be the only copy of your data?

Stating the obvious here, It's not a backup if there isn't at least one other copy.

Since you won't have the storage to test a full restore I recommend testing restores of a percentage of your data quarterly.
Review the documentation for the tapes and make sure they are stored and handled properly.
They are tape backups so don't be accessing them frequently to restore data.
Clean your tape drive.
Don't leave your tapes in the drive. It's a backup. Treat it like one.
I've been out of the tape game awhile but I believe there was functionality that was released that lets you access the tape drive as if it was just another drive. Can't remember the name.

No, the tape isn't exactly for backup. I want it for long term storage (i'm fine with duplicating tapes every few years). Basically what I want is a tape autoloader that can present each tape as an individual drive and reliably access tapes on a monthly or bi-weekly basis without destroying them. Access latency isn't an issue. You just jogged my memory and the term I need to add into my search query is WORM.

Reply 7 of 19, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nope, WORM designated a very specific feature on LTO tape.

Reply 8 of 19, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

[/quote]EDIT LTFS is what I was thinking of. You may want to look into that since it may get rid of using proprietary software to access your backups, think you still have to load a client but the standard is open.[/quote]

Yeah, that's definitely important. I always thought that was a native feature from the beginning of the LTO standard. So, now after I looked into it, LTO-5 loaders and drives are reaching the price range where it's beyond my current budget just like a RAID array. I found a loader for 200 + s/h but i'm not sure if it fully supports LTFS.

Reply 9 of 19, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IIRC, usually tape robots present full volumes (spanning many tapes) and select the appropriate tape to seek to the right spot and grab your file. FWIW, Amanda supports this functionality with the 124T.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 10 of 19, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

IIRC, usually tape robots present full volumes (spanning many tapes) and select the appropriate tape to seek to the right spot and grab your file. FWIW, Amanda supports this functionality with the 124T.

That sounds good. I'm not sure what amanda is though. The 124T is exactly the model I was looking at previously. Have you used that software and will it fully support a random access file system?

Reply 11 of 19, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Amanda is a client/server backup architecture. Based on a quick search, I haven't found a nearline filesystem implemented on top of Amanda, but specific files can certainly be extracted from a backup volume as opposed to a whole set.
http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/How_To:Recover_Data

I looked up the 124T because you mentioned it.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 12 of 19, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tape is good for backup and archival. But expensive in the capacity you require.

Honestly, I would get a few 2TB drives. make a raid volume and go nuts. I have 3 setups in my file server. 1 array of 24 1tb drives in raid 6, 2 1tb drives in a raid 1, and finally an 400gb tape drive that keeps the mission critical data safe. (family photos, tax documents, etc) The tape and raid 1 volumes are both encrypted. I found a few years ago a literal PILE of dvr's in a dumpster all with 1tb drives, all were 2.5" and low power and designed for 24/7 use. so they have served me well.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 13 of 19, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

Tape is good for backup and archival. But expensive in the capacity you require.

Honestly, I would get a few 2TB drives. make a raid volume and go nuts. I have 3 setups in my file server. 1 array of 24 1tb drives in raid 6, 2 1tb drives in a raid 1, and finally an 400gb tape drive that keeps the mission critical data safe. (family photos, tax documents, etc) The tape and raid 1 volumes are both encrypted. I found a few years ago a literal PILE of dvr's in a dumpster all with 1tb drives, all were 2.5" and low power and designed for 24/7 use. so they have served me well.

IDK about that 2TB drives are about 60USD each plus a decent array which is about 100+. So for about 280, lets say 250 I have 4TB of space. That's barely enough just for what I have planned ATM. Also, just about reaching my budget limit. Now add in the excessive wear adding drives to an array causes not to mention the cost of new drives. That's extra risk and certainly extra cost. Currently i'm looking at 200 for the autoloader and 15-20 per 1.5TB/3TB tape. So, I can get the same starting capacity, better if use compression. Moving forward i get about 70+ percent savings per TB.

Reply 14 of 19, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

But the advantage of hard drives is the availability. You say this will be accessed several times a month? That's going to be a pain in the ass with tape. Hell, you can just turn the hard drives off if you know they won't be used for a week. I found a 24 port sata raid card for like $80. it will actually turn the drives off when not in use.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 15 of 19, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's not the same tape format as the one you're using. LTO tapes, (apparently only modern ones) allow random access. Yes, there will be significant seek time but that's fine. If I'm burning or transferring a single or multiple ISO files then I'm not going to worry about a few extra minutes. I could have sworn there were ways to do this in software on old drives, like DDS and older LTO formats. Now that I know it's supported in the LTO standard I'm not worried about tape degredation anymore. So I think that's the route I'll go.

Reply 16 of 19, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well yes the problem with tape has always been cost. Cheap tapes are too small to be useful and large tapes are too expensive to be economical. Tape will probably never see widespread use outside of corporate environments.

(That reminds me, wasn't there a way of using VHS tape to back up computer data in the 1990s? Capacities were pretty good for the time IIRC.)

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 17 of 19, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote:

Well yes the problem with tape has always been cost. Cheap tapes are too small to be useful and large tapes are too expensive to be economical. Tape will probably never see widespread use outside of corporate environments.

(That reminds me, wasn't there a way of using VHS tape to back up computer data in the 1990s? Capacities were pretty good for the time IIRC.)

Late 80s and very early 90s. There were advertisements about ISA controller cards that "drive" your regular VHS recorders, though I never saw one in person.

Before CD recorders become economically viable (well, there was a time when an 2x recorder was about 2000+ USD), I used cheaper QIC tape backup units (250r something) a lot for personal long term data backup and I was happy. I never thought them as practical or economical today though. I have external HDDs on shelves and RAID 1 arrays in my PC for that purpose.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 19 of 19, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

This coming form someone that works with servers a lot for work. Tape is grate for long term backups and archiving.

Tape is slow, its not very user friendly to restore backups with tape, tape is grate for a system restore or a raid rebuild.
Tape is not for a "Opps I deleted something by mistake" backup restore. Its best used for log term back ups or part of a highly structured back plan such as a grandfather, father, son backup or ToH system.

Tape in my option of best used for restoring a system to day one or a grandfather backup. IE install/setup the system and use tape to image the system or a once a month/year backup, then put that tape in a magnetically sealed safe in a different place.