Common searches

Retro phone Nokia 3310

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 46, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am still using my Samsung flip phone from 2003, and it and the battery survived a round through the wash. I will use it until it's dead for good. I welcome the Nokia news because I finally have the option for a new replacement. I do not want or need a smart phone. I see how the youth today are glued to their phone and I would prefer to limit my time online. For the most part, when I leave the house, I leave the internet behind.

EDIT: Before the Saumsung flip hone, I did have one of those Nokia brick phones for around 4 years. I think it was a 5150. Before that I had an Erickson.

Last edited by feipoa on 2017-03-01, 10:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 21 of 46, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Humbly I find a significant amount of having this 'multipurposal' vision of things in today's life gadgets extremely unnecesary and even a productivity killer up to a certain degree. As a youngster I just see people spending almost their whole monthly salary bragging about 'the latest' and what I can see is distractions, distractions, distractions and unnecessarily over-engineered, rehashed, low quality, unreliable, made to be scrapped, overmarketed hardware.

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 22 of 46, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

Humbly I find a significant amount of having this 'multipurposal' vision of things in today's life gadgets extremely unnecesary and even a productivity killer up to a certain degree. As a youngster I just see people spending almost their whole monthly salary bragging about 'the latest' and what I can see is distractions, distractions, distractions and unnecessarily over-engineered, rehashed, low quality, unreliable, made to be scrapped, overmarketed hardware.

It would be enough to ask ourself what we really need for our daily life. I can understand that if our job requires some kind of tech it's difficult not to use it but in the free time things could be different.
In the 90s every tech innovations seems great but since many years now I can't see any technologies I'd need. The only usual common reason is speed and comfort? Speed why? The more speed you have with nowdays tech the less free time people seems to have. People don't even cook and buys ready-food cause "who got time nowdays".

Reply 23 of 46, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

I am still using my Samsung flip phone from 2003, and it and the battery survived a round through the wash. I will use it until it's dead for good. I welcome the Nokia news because I finally have the option for a new replacement. I do not want or need a smart phone. I see how the youth today are glued to their phone and I would prefer to limit my time online. For the most part, when I leave the house, I leave the internet behind.

EDIT: Before the Saumsung flip hone, I did have one of those Nokia brick phones for around 4 years. I think it was a 5150. Before that I had an Erickson.

I usually switch beetwen phones around same years a bit newer and I also see the net like a 56K modem did, you're connected or you're not.

Reply 24 of 46, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm all for simplicity and nostalgia but my smart phone - a second hand iPhone 5 - has become an essential part of my daily life. I avoid talking on it whenever possible because conversations on mobiles are painful, but MMSing, internet banking, google maps, camera, music, and Kindle all in my poket is just too handy to go back.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 25 of 46, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They already released a "new" 3310 more than a decade ago. It was called the 6300 and it had nearly the same specs as this one.

And then there were tons of "new 3310's" before and after that, by Nokia and almost every other phone maker, only they didn't have the name.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 26 of 46, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:

but my smart phone - a second hand iPhone 5 - has become an essential part of my daily life. I avoid talking on it whenever possible because conversations on mobiles are painful, but MMSing, internet banking, google maps, camera, music, and Kindle all in my poket is just too handy to go back.

Exactly. I still use "dumb" mobile phones until 2014 --using my smartphone solely for mobile wi-fi source while still using my laptop for internet. But then I found a nice little app in PlayStore called "HP Lovecraft Library", then I started using the smartphone for reading. Then people started using Whatsapp --including my clients, so I had to start using it as well. Then came Grab Car, which is cheaper than taxi, so I started using it too for my travel in another city. Now I'm completely dependent on the damn thing.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 27 of 46, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think there would be a lot of uses for a cheap phone like this. I have this Samsung clamshell that I got for free as a work phone and the battery life is simply amazing!

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Samsung-GT-C3595_id8522

I had it on for 36 hrs straight and it still showed full bars (only a few calls though). I had forgotten how much juice the old phones had when a smartphone barely last for 1 or 2 days of light use. It's nice to know you can be reached no matter what and you just leave the phone in your pocket for a week or two.

Reply 28 of 46, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sf78 wrote:

I think there would be a lot of uses for a cheap phone like this. I have this Samsung clamshell that I got for free as a work phone and the battery life is simply amazing!

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Samsung-GT-C3595_id8522

I had it on for 36 hrs straight and it still showed full bars (only a few calls though). I had forgotten how much juice the old phones had when a smartphone barely last for 1 or 2 days of light use. It's nice to know you can be reached no matter what and you just leave the phone in your pocket for a week or two.

I remember that phone you could find until some years ago with other models based on the same platform. There was also S5610 that imho was the latest good "feature phone" with a fast and reactive interface and hsdpa net too and with a good 5mp autofocus camera and a nice metal back cover.
But it seems they tried to reinvent the same thing every times cause feature phones when they're considered smartphone themself (S60 3rd) basically did already what the do today many years ago.
Sms themself were an ancient reason to need a phone in the 90s and I don't see any impressive "innovations" since that tech. Lately I'd imagine a better choice to have the original 3310 and a netbook more than any other mobile way.

Reply 29 of 46, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
386SX wrote:

Sms themself were an ancient reason to need a phone in the 90s and I don't see any impressive "innovations" since that tech. L

The only new tech I find useful in a phone is WhatsApp where I can send messages to different user groups and see from the ticks and responses who's received it.

Reply 30 of 46, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pre-Android era was more interesting though... You had mobile phones of varying shapes and models, instead of generic touch screen phones we have nowadays.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 32 of 46, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:

I'm all for simplicity and nostalgia but my smart phone - a second hand iPhone 5 - has become an essential part of my daily life. I avoid talking on it whenever possible because conversations on mobiles are painful, but MMSing, internet banking, google maps, camera, music, and Kindle all in my poket is just too handy to go back.

Also agree with this, mostly
I've actually been using a 6610 for the last 3 years for what was supposed to be a short term fix. Part of me enjoys not being distracted by constant emails, FB, etc and enjoying the moment.
But is a pain when your lost or need to quickly looks something up, or want to take a picture.
As long as you are with someone whos phone you can borrow its not that bad.

6610 isn't a great phone though, java based, calculator is hidden away and worst of all no snake! just crappy bounce. but I have about 10 of them lying around

Reply 33 of 46, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Munx wrote:

They already released a "new" 3310 more than a decade ago. It was called the 6300 and it had nearly the same specs as this one.

And then there were tons of "new 3310's" before and after that, by Nokia and almost every other phone maker, only they didn't have the name.

Yeah, there were a lot of "3310 based phone" after the original and they all shared similar hardware for years and obviously similar features. And that's the whole point why imho after those one real reason to build another 3310 but with this "name", should have been a "different clone" not another S30+ one that you could easily find in latest Nokia 2xx models or the newer 150.
But it was clear to me it would not happen when I thought about "who'd build the internal hardware" to be a sort of clone of the original. Nowdays few manufacturer build few "feature phone" hardware solutions and probably most of the last feature phones have these with o.s. based on its sdk/platform.

Reply 34 of 46, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BSA Starfire wrote:
I'm actually using a nokia 3310 as my only mobile. I have two, a standard 3310(blue) and the white one is a 3330(few small chang […]
Show full quote

I'm actually using a nokia 3310 as my only mobile. I have two, a standard 3310(blue) and the white one is a 3330(few small changes, but nothing really significant). I've been down the smart phone route but the crap reliability, battery life and distractions with crap put me off them for life.
I will be buying the new 3310 for it's even better battery life and the camera.
speaking of cameras, mine is a Olympus Camedia C-120 from 2002! 🤣
so yes, I guess I do like my devices retro.

P1010001.JPG

One question, do the 3330 has internet connection? If I remember it should have some sort of wap but maybe through GSM data not even GPRS.

Reply 35 of 46, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most older dumbphones have WAP, but whether it still works is another story.

The only two things I sometimes miss on my old Nokia 2600 (the battery seems to have stopped deteriorating some time ago and it's still working well for a 10 yo phone...) are a camera and GPS...well, mostly the camera actually.

Reply 37 of 46, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
notsofossil wrote:
creepingnet wrote:

An ARM based Nintendo Wii is just not as durable or robust as an old x86 processor based PC from the 80's.

The Wii is PowerPC based and is rock solid.

that's true though i tend to see them with failed disc drives. imagine that the mechanic parts that wears out. but, it seems fairly well built. idk if you can drop a CRT tv on it and have it still work like the old N64 but, it wasn't quite as crazy in side as say a 360 or ps3.

Will be interesting to see what kind of popularity and sales numbers this new retro nokia sees.

Reply 38 of 46, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No idea if you already heard about it, but LGR uploaded a video about the Nokia 3310 just a few days ago! ^^
What a coincidence, isn't it ? Just about a week after this thread had been created..
The video can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xNVmmJ0nZY

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 39 of 46, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote:

No idea if you already heard about it, but LGR uploaded a video about the Nokia 3310 just a few days ago! ^^
What a coincidence, isn't it ? Just about a week after this thread had been created..
The video can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xNVmmJ0nZY

After the official announcement of the new 3310 model there're lot of review of the old one like people forgot it until now. 😀
Anyway I hope to rebuild a 3310 with a new original cover and battery instead of buying the new one.