VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by lucky7456969

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Two use-case scenarios,
1st -> when working on the debugger, you probably would want to know if the data at the current address
is an image and also what type of image it is.

2nd -> when working with hooking, when I dump a certain handle, say HTHEME, how can you
tell which format it is in?

Thanks
Jack

Reply 1 of 5, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I suppose there should be header or something. After all, that's how one of my high school buddies extracted Star Control II's sound effects using hexadecimal editor --by identifying the VOC file header contained in the file. Of course, he had to known such header beforehand.

Anyone?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 3 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

TrID might work, though you would have to save the "byte stream" to a file first, and you might need significant quantities of data.
http://mark0.net/soft-trid-e.html

Reply 5 of 5, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

I suppose there should be header or something. After all, that's how one of my high school buddies extracted Star Control II's sound effects using hexadecimal editor --by identifying the VOC file header contained in the file. Of course, he had to known such header beforehand.

Anyone?

I suppose that would work with game files that use unmodified standard format. But about memory I dont think header are kept in there, why use a 4cc in memory? Lucky7456969 say he use a debugger, what I would recommend is to dump the memory to a file then print it on the screen. you could code a browser to travel thru the bit dump, eventually you will see stuff that look like patern. You then have to change the maximum width so the image will align correctly, eventually drawing something. Good hunting!

A trick about that is to make a screenshot of the game using a tsr so you would have the color palette wich can be usefull in this case.