VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Alkarion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As I'm one of those people who played through the entire Wing Commander series with a mouse, I don't know much about joysticks. But since nowadays you can buy old joysticks at a low price, I'm thinking about enhancing my Wing Commander experience. Since there are many different types of joysticks with different features I'd like to know what good all-purpose old joysticks there are. My priority lies rather in very exact control than in lots of buttons or fancy features.

Reply 1 of 6, by teamster1975

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd recommend any analogue joystick from Gravis, they're virtually bullet proof,and the trims are spot on.
I played Wing Commander 1 and 2 with my trusty Gravis, that was when I had the 286 with 640K of RAM so I couldn't get the fancy explosions!
It even survived my brother "borrowing" it to play Speedball 2!!

Reply 2 of 6, by Alkarion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the answer, but I already bought a Logitech Wingman Extreme (not digital, of course) from E-Bay for around 5$. Let's see how it works with Wing Commander.

Reply 4 of 6, by El nostalgico

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ehhhhhhhhhh joystick bleeeeeeeeee for what no no no

Yes i recomand analog one because many and many years ago father bought to me a digital one hehe. I have never configure it right hehe. And seriously I can tell you that i dont know any person whose have PC and play games with joystick.

On my old ZX i playd every game with joy but not PC.

I have already sliped my fingers to cursor keys.

I use four fingers this is my best nalogosdigitalos joistickos:
thumb - down
forefinger - left
middle - up
and finger next to little finger (i dont know right english name in my language it is prstennik - ring finger because weddings ring) - right

And remember your finger are for free(ware) 😁

Reply 6 of 6, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

These days I have a variety of joysticks. I never found just one that works for all games. I have a USB Logitech Extreme 3D pro that I use for flight games and Mechwarrior and the like. Then I have a dual action gamepad from Logitech that I use for the action/platform games. I also have an X-arcade I use for MAME and arcade games sometimes. Then I also have a steering wheel for the racing games. At least USB makes it easy to switch joysticks, and with DOSbox USB support works great for the classic PC games.