VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Recently I played Virtua Cop 2 while playing Command & Conquer soundtrack in foobar2000. The songs are actually better than the game's own soundtracks, especially No Mercy and Industrial.

Back in 2008, I was so infatuated with Delta Force games despite their difficulty. The games don't have in-game songs, but I really had a kick playing them with Red Alert soundtrack, especially Radio 2, Roll Out, Mud, and of course my most favorite song Bigfoot. Oddly enough, I didn't like Hell March too much to play the games. In any case, Bigfoot is always my most favorite song to accompany Delta Force gameplay.

I'm not saying Doom soundtrack is bad, but when playing Doom, the game's own songs pale in comparison to Mechwarrior 2 game songs. I found Silent Thunder / Rust Heart to be the best song to accompany Doom's gameplay, but all Mechwarrior 2 songs are also much, much better to play the game with than its own original songs.

Helicopter games like Gunship 2000 and Longbow 2 typically doesn't have in-game songs, but I really enjoy playing them with bass-heavy hip-hop songs like The Prodigy's Diesel Power.

Microprose F-117A doesn't have in-game songs, but I really enjoy playing the game with European-sounding songs like Blank & Jones' Consequences or Armin van Buuren's In And Out Of Love.

So, do you have similar experience? For example, do you prefer playing WarCraft II with Heroes II of Might & Magic songs to its own songs? Or perhaps playing Goldbox games with Ultima soundtrack?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 1 of 22, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Or perhaps playing Goldbox games with Ultima soundtrack?

ANY rpg soundtrack for Goldbox games, since they have no in-game music at all. 😀 But as much as I love the music of Origin games, I have found that if you invest 20+ hrs in any RPG with a soundtrack, that soundtrack will eventually become catchy. When I first started Lands of Lore, I didn't think much of the soundtrack, but after 20+ hrs playing it, I found myself humming the songs and looking forward to them during the next gaming session. Same with Might & Magic World of Xeen. I can take awhile to fully appreciate the effort and composition of unfamiliar tunes, but eventually I come to appreciate almost any DOS game that has a musical soundtrack. For me, it's part of that game's personality.

Right now I am 12 missions in on Wings of Glory, and its soundtrack is already ingrained in my brain.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 22, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just about ANY OTHER SOUNDTRACK for Gran Turismo 2 (at least the North American version.) While the intro track was good, the ingame tracks were OGOD WHY levels of poorly-chosen. No atmosphere, repetitive, no energy licenced generic drivelrock.
I probably put hundreds of hours into that one back in the day with the music OFF and my own stuff playing.

I understand the Japanese version had an original score but the slapped-on, licenced tracks in the one we got nearly ruined the whole thing.

"SLAAA-om in the back err muh - PICKUP TRUUUUHHHK" (if you've played it enough you probably know which song I'm transcribing wrongly 😜)

EDIT: hah, I just looked up who did the tracks on the soundtrack. It reads like an all-star playlist of music the 40-year-old white guys I used to do track days with liked. There are actually some decent tracks there, but ABSOLUTELY WRONG ATMOSPHERE for a high-energy racing game.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 3 of 22, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I used to play Stunts with CD-audio and we used to play Super Mario Kart with CD-audio as well (oftentimes something like Dire Straits or something 😜) as the usual SMK "OST" would start to get a bit too boring after a while 😵

I haven't played a lot of RPGs compared to some people here, but all the ones I played did have the more catching tunes that would be very atmospheric 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 22, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I replaced Morrowind's soundtrack with the music from Daggerfall. 😀

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 6 of 22, by zerker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xjas wrote:

Just about ANY OTHER SOUNDTRACK for Gran Turismo 2 (at least the North American version.) While the intro track was good, the ingame tracks were OGOD WHY levels of poorly-chosen. No atmosphere, repetitive, no energy licenced generic drivelrock.
I probably put hundreds of hours into that one back in the day with the music OFF and my own stuff playing.

That just about sums up every racing game with a licensed soundtrack for me (read: every Need for Speed game after Hot Pursuit 2, or Burnout series past 2). Yes, Hot Pursuit 2 has licensed tracks, but it also has some original stuff, and is mostly okay.

At one point I played Worms with the Quake soundtrack. That was generally pretty good, especially considering the Worms audio tracks are atmospheric too.

Reply 7 of 22, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unreal and Unreal Tournament with Crusader: No Remorse\Regret's music.

Some of Regret's files sound like Unreal's music to begin with.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 8 of 22, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:

Or perhaps playing Goldbox games with Ultima soundtrack?

ANY rpg soundtrack for Goldbox games, since they have no in-game music at all. 😀 But as much as I love the music of Origin games, I have found that if you invest 20+ hrs in any RPG with a soundtrack, that soundtrack will eventually become catchy.

Indeed. Stones, anyone?

clueless1 wrote:

Right now I am 12 missions in on Wings of Glory, and its soundtrack is already ingrained in my brain.

How good is it? I'm quite disappointed by Pacific Strike soundtrack. I mean, electric guitar? In 1940's?

leileilol wrote:

Quake with Frogger 😜

Quake with Heroes II of Might and Magic. 😜

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 10 of 22, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:

How good is it? I'm quite disappointed by Pacific Strike soundtrack. I mean, electric guitar? In 1940's?

Hmmm. Where is this song? The ones I remember are very period appropriate:
https://downloads.khinsider.com/game-soundtra … audio-cd-vol.-3

Regarding WoG, I like it a lot. Some of the missions are very challenging even with enemy AI set to easy. It took over 10 tries to beat mission 7, and I'm now working on mission 12 for at least the 5th time. I do like the story and the overall feel of the being in 1917. It's enough for me. Track 15 on the link above has a WoG audio medley.

edit: and if you decide to play WoG, whatever you do, do NOT talk to the cute French girl in the early missions!

Reply 11 of 22, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
zerker wrote:

That just about sums up every racing game with a licensed soundtrack for me (read: every Need for Speed game after Hot Pursuit 2, or Burnout series past 2). Yes, Hot Pursuit 2 has licensed tracks, but it also has some original stuff, and is mostly okay.

At one point I played Worms with the Quake soundtrack. That was generally pretty good, especially considering the Worms audio tracks are atmospheric too.

No kidding. The NFS series died for me when they stopped getting Rom di Prisco to do the tracks. I play the 2010 NFS:HP reboot with the music muted and a Rom di Prisco playlist queued. (Which totally counts in this thread. 😜 )

(Funny that, I became a big fan of Rom's music through the NFS series and listen to his current stuff to this day. I can't say I've ever 'discovered' a game because some mainstream top-40 artist did the music...)

DracoNihil wrote:

Unreal and Unreal Tournament with Crusader: No Remorse\Regret's music.

Some of Regret's files sound like Unreal's music to begin with.

You know Andrew Sega (Necros / Five Musicians) did a lot of the music for both the Crusader and Unreal series right?

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 12 of 22, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not really, he only made like two songs and both were adoptions of past works rather than being "made for Unreal". Alexander Brandon's heavily influenced by necros though

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 13 of 22, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ I thought he did more than that? Isotoxin and Mechanism 8 were in Unreal 1, but I can't remember if he did anything specific for UT come to think of it... Gonna have to look that up now.

Regardless, most of the other U1/UT musicians (Alexander Brandon, Basshead, Michael van den Bos) were all members of KFMF or FM along with Necros at one point. 😀 Even Skaven/(ex-)Future Crew did a track. It's like a who's who of good tracker music.

Reply 14 of 22, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:
clueless1 wrote:

Hmmm. Where is this song? The ones I remember are very period appropriate:
https://downloads.khinsider.com/game-soundtra … audio-cd-vol.-3

Ah, perhaps my GM soundfont is screwed up. Take a listen at this video (not mine). The riff starting from the minute 4:31 sounds like electric bass guitar/distortion guitar on my PC. The same riff could be found here (again, video not mine), could be found at the minute 2:57, 3:28, and 4:54.

Alright, from both videos, that riff does not resemble electric bass guitar/distortion guitar, although it does on my PC. Well perhaps my sound font, I'm not sure. Nonetheless, that particular riff is soooo not 1940's, regardless of whatever instrument it uses on that part. In fact, that particular riff is my biggest turn-off factor; it makes Pacific Strike sounds like 1980's cartoon instead of an epic World War II air war opera.

Reply 15 of 22, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

You know Andrew Sega (Necros / Five Musicians) did a lot of the music for both the Crusader and Unreal series right?

Actually the real reason is because alot of the music in Unreal use the same samples. I guess samples were constantly shared among musicians over the years.

Also yeah, what leileilol said: There were only two songs from Necros ever used in the Unreal series, Isotoxin and Mechanism Eight. Alot of the music for Unreal was spearheaded by Alexander Brandon and Micheal van den Bos, Basehead also had a few tracks made but only one of them ended up being used at all.

STINT.AMF reminds me alot of Unreal.

EDIT: I just forgot the Seeker series of songs and Enigma in UT99 were also composed by Basehead.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 16 of 22, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Alright, from both videos, that riff does not resemble electric bass guitar/distortion guitar, although it does on my PC. Well perhaps my sound font, I'm not sure. Nonetheless, that particular riff is soooo not 1940's, regardless of whatever instrument it uses on that part. In fact, that particular riff is my biggest turn-off factor; it makes Pacific Strike sounds like 1980's cartoon instead of an epic World War II air war opera.

Fair enough. But it is intended to sound like this:
https://downloads.khinsider.com/game-soundtra … ific-strike.mp3
That particular section you call out (from 11 seconds to about 22 seconds in the link above) does have sort of an 80s vibe to it, but it's really only a tiny portion of the entire song, most of which does have a 40s vibe (IMO). The general mood of the whole song is a sense of urgency, which is very typical of combat music in DOS games.

Reply 18 of 22, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
leileilol wrote:

Quake with Frogger 😜

That's actually a strangely good combination. 🤣

Lol, it is!

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 19 of 22, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had the Windows version of Sid Meier's Colonization but lost the CD. One day I went to play it and had the Age of Empires 2 CD in the drive, and it's music seemed to fit the the game pretty well 😀
These days I much prefer to play the DOS version with the MIDI soundtrack.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.