VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As the title says 😀

For me, it was Microsoft Golf 98 Lite (the one that comes with 98 Plus!) on my dad's old work computer, a slot 1 P2-400mhz, 256MB SDRAM, and S3 Trio 3D/2X and AWE32 Value sound card on an ABIT BE6 motherboard. Almost 10 years later it's my Windows 98 gaming computer 😀

I remember being frustrated because the game kept crashing for a reason I don't remember. I also found it amusing to get the ball stuck on a tree so the player kept swinging at a trunk for some reason 🤣 I was 6 years old and didn't know what i was doing.

I also remember tearing all of the 5.25 bay covers and side panels off to see the inner workings in action. I was smart enough to not touch anything and just liked to see the fans whirring.

Last edited by cj_reha on 2017-08-26, 20:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 1 of 53, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Super Mario/ duck hunt NES. We still have the full original NES setup my dad bought new

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 2 of 53, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dunno my memory is horrible. First console was the NES (that my grandpa bought) in the mid 80's but don't remember if I played on other consoles first.
Of course Mario and duck hunt came with it.

Remember playing Zork 1 in the mid to late 80's as well at someone's house. Don't remember what type of computer.
Also remember playing C64 games at a neighbors house likely earlier than when I first played Zork 1. For some reason I remember Track & Field even tho I hate sports games.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 53, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Been so long ago I really don't remember that well.

It was probably something like tanks or asteroids on an Atari 2600.

For the first computer I had growing up it was either Nibbles or Gorilla (QBasic games that came with MS-DOS DOS 5.0)

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 53, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmmm... the first was at my neighbours Atari 2600 and some car/F1 racing game - should be around '81. I tried to look it up but didn't find it. Around that time (give or take a year) I was with my older brother at his friends house and he had ZX-81 and showed some games - don't remember which.

When I got my first computer - Atari 800XL the first games were Pole Position, The Last Starfigher, Zaxxon, BC's Quest for Tires... On PC... I was at my friends and his father had some PC with green monitor (probably some 286)... he showed me Test Drive 😀 Although it wasn't until I went to the secondary school to actually sit behind a 286-12 and there were some games loaded - Ski or Die, Tetris. F-117A,... it was funny as I didn't know anything about DOS. Tried some Atari commands but none worked 🤣 Not long after that me and my brother bought a used 286-16 and my journey into PC world begun. Tried some games like Crazy Cars, Lotus, Pinball Dreams, F-29 Retaliator, F-15 II/III, Prince of Persia, Dune II, F1GP, Falcon 3...

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 5 of 53, by gca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can't remember my first game ever exactly (it was long ago) but it was probably on a Atari 2600. However over the years other systems come and gone so I do remember a couple of firsts:

Amstrad CPC464: Harrier Attack

IBM PC (a 286 PS/1) (DOS): Knights of the Sky

Reply 6 of 53, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm, memory a bit hazy, but the order went something like this:

1) Either a lightgun game, shooting sharks and saving deep see divers, or Space Invaders, shooting aliens and saving mankind - late 70s on some Arcade system.
2) Pac-Man on Atari 2600 - early 80s.
3) Some space shooter on a Nintendo Game and Watch handheld - early 80s.

Reply 7 of 53, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Asteroids, on an Atari ST with soft keyboard (tactile keyboard), in a computer exhibition in 1981. I was too small to remember the sub-model, but I do remember it was an Atari, but with 'flat keyboard' that was also the trend among pocket calculators of the era.

I also remember my mother cheering us me and my brother up) as we played. A good time indeed. 😀

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 9 of 53, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My first game was Mattel Football I handheld:
http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Mattel/FB.htm
I got it around 1978-1979. Then shortly after, our neighbors got an Atari 2600. I'd go over their house and play on it. Then shortly after, we got an Intellivision (still around 1979-1980). A couple of years later another friend got an Apple II+ and I'd go over his house to play on it. Then around 1983 I got my first computer, an Apple IIe.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 10 of 53, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Space Invaders on a sit down table arcade machine at a restaurant or maybe pong at a friends house down the street.

Hard to remember for sure

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 13 of 53, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Probably something on the Atari 2600. I also remember a visit to the arcades when I was very small and had to be held up to the controls to play. Moon Patrol sticks in my mind but I probably played other things as well.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 14 of 53, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
j^aws wrote:

Must've been another Atari besides the ST as they were released during the mid-80s.

You are correct, it couldn't be ST; it has 'CPU-in-the-keyboard-which-is-connected-to-a-TV' form factor. I remembet it thoroughly: it was not the Atari console either, it was a keyboard connected to a TV. However, it accepts cartridges instead of disks.

It also has membrane keyboard (I remember the correct name again); a very thin keyboard without movable keys. Many pocket calculators of that era used such keyboard as well. I did not touch the keyboard though, because I played with joystick. It was a thrilling experience, because each unit was connected to a big screen TV, and each TV was connected to a pair of big and loud speakers. I was playing Asteroids, taking turn with my brother, ehile the guy on the next unit was playing what appeared to be Space Invaders.

I remember it was Atari, because I heard the sales guy mentioned the name several times to my parents. However, now I realize it could't be an ST, because it wasv1981 or 1982 at most. But what kind of Atari model could it possibly be? It is a keyboard connected to a TV instead of a console; it has membrane keyboard similar to the one used in many pocket calculators at that time, and it accepts cartridges instead of floppy disks.

What is it? The curiosity now drives me crazy.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 16 of 53, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Errius wrote:

Sounds like an Atari 400

Ah, thanks! Will Google it.

Reply 17 of 53, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, that does sound like an Atari 400:

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=76

Always wanted its bigger brother - the Atari 800, but ended up going Commodore instead. Rivalry between those two companies back then was quite legendary...

Reply 18 of 53, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My first Game was Falcon Patrol and Ghostbusters on a C64.

The first Game on a PC was Day of the Tentacle.

Both were played at friends house.

My first game on my first own PC was WingCommander3.