VOGONS

Common searches

Ebay thread goodbye thread

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 21 of 205, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Found the eBay thread on vcfed.

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?565 … Spotted-on-eBay

I just wish the eBay thread could stay here. The color scheme of this forum is much easier on the eyes.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 22 of 205, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sad to see the thread I started 5 years ago die. Never believed it would grow so big. I do understand some of the reasons given as I've been following the thread daily since the start, but I do also think it could be avoided. What I'm very happy for is that the general audience in the thread kept the worst of the worst in check and everytime it moved on. I hope the mods reconsider and allow the thread to reopen in some form or another.

Got some good deals here. The discussion in the thread was also for the majority constructive and informative to the items being discussed. Trading and selling is a part of the community, and while not allowed directly on Vogons, it did allow us to discuss the value of items through what was linked here. I'd probably never follow the insane 3DO Blaster auction if it wasn't linked here!

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 23 of 205, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It was a good idea for a thread vetz and I had fun with it while it lasted, except for when I had my eye on something and then it appeared here 😵

kithylin wrote:

I'm definitely leaving.

I thought you did that already? 🤣

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 24 of 205, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

VOGONS isn't only the eBay thread ...
The admins made a choice - for good or for worse - there is no point debating or circle around it for long.
It's like the sales banning, there was some uproar, some people leaving but the forum went on just fine: good threads with lots of info still exist, help is given, projects get announced...

I won't particularly miss the thread as nowdays 80% of the stuff posted there were too new for me to consider retro - and maybe that's one reason the thread went away...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 25 of 205, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:

It was a good idea for a thread vetz and I had fun with it while it lasted, except for when I had my eye on something and then it appeared here 😵

kithylin wrote:

I'm definitely leaving.

I thought you did that already? 🤣

I said in that post that I was still here for the ebay thread to try and find deals and such. It was literally the only thing worthwhile on vogons left here.

Reply 26 of 205, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
kithylin wrote:

And now also I get to spend a few hours today and go back to find any of my old posts where I actually contributed any useful information and delete the posts. I don't want to contribute anything to this place after this happened.

kithylin wrote:
Welp, I didn't think you would actually close it. And now you've ended pretty much the only really good thread that kept the maj […]
Show full quote

Welp, I didn't think you would actually close it. And now you've ended pretty much the only really good thread that kept the majority of us coming back to vogons for anything. I'm pretty sure you're going to see the overall activity site-wide on vogons diminish now, and it's all your fault.

I'm definitely leaving. Already decided I would leave if it was closed and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I almost left completely before when that random idiot person from ebay came in and harassed me and the admins didn't do jack squat about it. Only reason I came back was the ebay thread.

Good job admins, you've killed your forums.

And I'm sure you'll just delete this so no one can see it and silence me but I don't care either.

This.

Oh and every link i posted to ebay were EPN links.
Make a few grand with the links wile being helpful at the same time 😁 and Im still making money off them.
Better delete the thread as I was not the only one.
Also check my ip logs.

I been banded about 20 times here. If im not comming back I may as well make a mockery of you piss poor staff here. I mean it would not be hard to fix the issues you posted.

Old acounts I had here.
Frisky dingo, saturn74, voodoo doer, 3dfxvoodoo are a few off the top of my head. And Id been useing the same freaking static IP address between them all. Enen used the same email on two of them.

Also the no traiding rule is a joke. So much trading going on with PMs. I know I was apart of it.

Reply 28 of 205, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MrEWhite wrote:

Don’t know why the people causing drama or anything weren’t just punished instead of ruining it for everyone else.

Because as long as people are arguing in threads and keep coming back to defend themselves and argue at the other side, it keeps driving traffic to the site. Please other spectators like to watch forum drama and.. again, others keep bringing traffic to the site to watch the arguments. So the admins don't do anything to stop it because people arguing helps the site in general.

And there.. I guess it's some sort of flood protection but for some reason I'm unable to edit any more of my old posts, what ever, don't care. At least I got my two big posts deleted.. the one where I finally figured out how to actually get PCI-Express gpu's to work in win98 and showed everyone how to do it, and the other big thread where I showed everyone how to edit nvidia drivers to add in entries for unsupported cards. I will have nothing to do with contributing to the success of this website any more.

If you admins were actually concerned with making this "An archive of information" then you would of coded the forums to have an ability for people to upload their own images to the vogons website to embed in their posts, right there in the actual posting editor. Overclock.net does this, every post you make on OCN forums has an image button right there in the post editor to upload to the site and embed in your post. This way images in posts are archived in the website for eternity so they don't get lost. I was going through a lot of my old threads and most of my old pictures I had to link in to the forums from off-site are dead and gone now. I think you do have a way to add a image in to the website and embed in our post but it's "not obvious" and we have to go find the other thread to even know this feature exists. Part of why going through older posts on this website I find a lot of dead images all the time in 90% of this website.

So now not only are you closing the highly active threads on your site that keep people returning, but you guys also can't even code your forum software to actually function as an internet archive like you designed the site to be.

I sincerely hope your decision to pull this stupid stunt of closing the ebay thread bites you in the butt and people stop coming to your website. Hopefully some day vogons will just die.

Reply 29 of 205, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

After seeing how this thread is going, I fully support closure of the other one.

I sincerely regret suggesting VCF as an alternative now. Jesus christ. 🙁

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 30 of 205, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What about the idea of a Be on the Lookout (BOLO) thread? If you're looking for that special something (hardware, software, ideas, whatever) for a project you're working on, describe what you need.

Sure, there's some overlap of the What Retro Are You Up To? thread which could probably be used for the same things, but it doesn't seem to be.

Any other ideas of how we could have some of the benefit of the Ebay thread (crowd-sourced bargain/retrotech hunting) without it being derailed by self serving eBay shills and people whining about their particular case of butt hurt?

And to said shills...
douchebag_new.jpg

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 31 of 205, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:

At least I got my two big posts deleted.. the one where I finally figured out how to actually get PCI-Express gpu's to work in win98 and showed everyone how to do it, and the other big thread where I showed everyone how to edit nvidia drivers to add in entries for unsupported cards.

It's always great when people delete valuable information and ruin the fun for everyone else just because they disagree with how a site is run.

To me as an outsider, this just looks like you are trying to force the moderators to reverse their decision with your actions against this website.
It's not a very mature reaction and I think it's even more of a reason for them to stick to their decision.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 32 of 205, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
gdjacobs wrote:
What about the idea of a Be on the Lookout (BOLO) thread? If you're looking for that special something (hardware, software, idea […]
Show full quote

What about the idea of a Be on the Lookout (BOLO) thread? If you're looking for that special something (hardware, software, ideas, whatever) for a project you're working on, describe what you need.

Sure, there's some overlap of the What Retro Are You Up To? thread which could probably be used for the same things, but it doesn't seem to be.

Any other ideas of how we could have some of the benefit of the Ebay thread (crowd-sourced bargain/retrotech hunting) without it being derailed by self serving eBay shills and people whining about their particular case of butt hurt?

And to said shills...
douchebag_new.jpg

The best course of action is to use another site. Reactions here and especially the overreactions show that this is not the right place for anything like that. I expect certain other threads being hit by the fallout and anything ebay related to be banned. I expect but I don’t know 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 33 of 205, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

More teenage drama, tantrums and bs from people that apparently have no place here. Good riddance to the ebay thread , your posts and your general VOGONS presence - just stop being a nuisance do your business and go away already. We don't need your lame pics or your attention crying posts announcing your departure... wtf are you people, 4 year olds that lost your lollipops?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 34 of 205, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I said my goodbye in the thread, but I'll repeat it here:

I'm sad to see it go, as it pointed me to items I may not of thought of on my own. While I never actually purchased any of the items I was shown, I came close to doing so on occasion. Farewell interesting thread, and thanks again to everyone that kept fellow Vogons members in mind while doing their own bargain hunting.

I'd also like to state that I find Qbix's actions on this extremely friendly and generous. I've seen thread on other forums closed without warning, and in many cases without adequate (or even any, in some cases,) explanation. Qbix, not only provided reasoning for the closing, they also provided 2 weeks notice of the closing as well.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 35 of 205, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Qbix wrote:
hard1k wrote:
Qbix wrote:
There are quite a lot of reasons as to why the ebay auctions thread was closed, so here is a small list of things that are fresh […]
Show full quote

There are quite a lot of reasons as to why the ebay auctions thread was closed, so here is a small list of things that are fresh on my mind:

• Advertising only accounts, or accounts which do mainly advertising. (or people cross-advertising, A advertises B, B advertises A. While "technically" allowed, it is clearly trying to work around the intention of the rules.). This has happened quite a few times.
  • The drama and it spilling over to the rest of the forum. The X is a bad person thread is fresh in my mind and suggestion to DOX the person was totally not okay in my book.
  • Vogons is (or at least intended to be) an archive with useful information, while the ebay thread contains a lot of useful information, most of the information and links are outdated because the auctions have ended.
  • At times Milliways felt like an ebay discussion forum instead of a part of vogons. (and no, I don't want to add an ebay discussion forum, as that is really far from the goals of vogons)
  • The thread became too large and became a forum of itself with its own rules, groups and it was a pain to moderate (and thus ended up being mostly unmoderated and aside from cleaning up the drama)
  • Did I mention the drama ? Let me mention it again.
  • It is counterproductive to the no trading rule, although it kinda went alright.

With all due respect: I can't understand even a single point of yours. Either because I just don't see that much misbehavioral content here or just because some points seems so outrageously overexaggerated...
Of course, it's entirely the staff's decision (and it seems the point of no return has been passed already) but the narrow-minded approach in this particular case seems way over the top...

Reply 36 of 205, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

When you are not here at the time of the drama, you are likely to miss it entirely

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 37 of 205, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hey kithylin,

To suggest going back and editing out your posts, those of which could potentially help others in the future... would be a waste of time and completely selfish. Is ONE thread REALLY that important to you to do such a time wasting activity? Come on, man. Yeah, I enjoyed that thread too but alas all good things must come to an end and he did give us several good reasons for its closure.

529343_640x360_large_20160617141205.jpg

I'm not trying to start shit or anything but really this place would be a lot better if some people grew up and thought twice before hitting "submit."

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 38 of 205, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:
Because as long as people are arguing in threads and keep coming back to defend themselves and argue at the other side, it keeps […]
Show full quote
MrEWhite wrote:

Don’t know why the people causing drama or anything weren’t just punished instead of ruining it for everyone else.

Because as long as people are arguing in threads and keep coming back to defend themselves and argue at the other side, it keeps driving traffic to the site. Please other spectators like to watch forum drama and.. again, others keep bringing traffic to the site to watch the arguments. So the admins don't do anything to stop it because people arguing helps the site in general.

And there.. I guess it's some sort of flood protection but for some reason I'm unable to edit any more of my old posts, what ever, don't care. At least I got my two big posts deleted.. the one where I finally figured out how to actually get PCI-Express gpu's to work in win98 and showed everyone how to do it, and the other big thread where I showed everyone how to edit nvidia drivers to add in entries for unsupported cards. I will have nothing to do with contributing to the success of this website any more.

If you admins were actually concerned with making this "An archive of information" then you would of coded the forums to have an ability for people to upload their own images to the vogons website to embed in their posts, right there in the actual posting editor. Overclock.net does this, every post you make on OCN forums has an image button right there in the post editor to upload to the site and embed in your post. This way images in posts are archived in the website for eternity so they don't get lost. I was going through a lot of my old threads and most of my old pictures I had to link in to the forums from off-site are dead and gone now. I think you do have a way to add a image in to the website and embed in our post but it's "not obvious" and we have to go find the other thread to even know this feature exists. Part of why going through older posts on this website I find a lot of dead images all the time in 90% of this website.

So now not only are you closing the highly active threads on your site that keep people returning, but you guys also can't even code your forum software to actually function as an internet archive like you designed the site to be.

I sincerely hope your decision to pull this stupid stunt of closing the ebay thread bites you in the butt and people stop coming to your website. Hopefully some day vogons will just die.

Drama and self defense threads don't really fit the scheme of a retro computing forum afaik. If the mods want the thread gone, then it's gone. I'm failing to see why this is so personal for you. You don't own this website do you? Your contributions are appreciated but surely some other users here have made posts that have helped you in trade, so running back through your history to delete anything helpful you done seems quite spiteful, as if other users who could use that information have done something personal to you.

Also, there is an upload attachment button right below what I'm typing.. I used it to upload a useless picture of homer simpson on the first page. Phpbb is free, it is what it is. Also, speaking of drama, I've avoided the news sections on ocn for years now due to it becoming a ridiculous haven of argumentative spam with no substance. Sure, it drives traffic and revenue to the board, but at the expense of being utterly clogged with millions of posts that are virtually useless. Pick your poison.

I liked the ebay thread, but I don't own vogons. It is what it is!

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 39 of 205, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do I understand the decision? yes. Do I agree. Not really, no. It strikes me as overkill.

-Thoughts- (in no particular order)

1. The standard os (cheap/special) was too low. 95% of the things listed weren't very special. So it was a miasma of boring items.
2. I think the shutting down of the thread was handled poorly. Making a random post in the thread saying it will be shut down, then effectively disappearing without a word for two weeks? Not the best of ideas imho.
3. The drama llama (TM) visits everyone. The more people visit a site, the more often the llama will make his presence known.
4. I like pie.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.