Common searches

Gold scrap metal rant

Topic actions

First post, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don`t know if most people collect all that hardware just for DOS games, newer games and such or other thing. Im doing this bcuz i just like the damn parts + im saving the hardware from idiots, morons and other plebs that destroy them, ones for the damn gold insade, others bcuz they don`t care, others brake hardware for fun i guess, or trow working computers/parts to the trash and that is not welcomed here from my side, specially the high end old parts, legendary ones like ABIT boards, some ASUS, 3Dfx, AMD, Intel, CyriX, IBM processors and other, and all type of good stuff that are not just trash or the gold inside..
That cavemans the scrap guys they destroy that hardware like is nothing, and other smart people years ago did spend even more time inventing all that parts, but is way easy to destroy then to create.........

From one thing i hate the most the greedy bastards that destroy the good stuff just to get the gold, specially working things, that have value, bcuz no one cares for ECS boards, asrock, acorp and other.
I even think there need to be some law against primates that kills old high end or precious pc or other hardware, and when the police get them they will be forced to pay big amounts of money for that, bcuz is retarded to destroy the computer history that is the thing that let us where are we today, and the computer history specially things like CyriX, 3Dfx and others that ddi change the world to be payed some f***king respect, not to be destroyed. As if was not 3Dfx the gaming industry maybe will not be the same, but the scrap people they don`t care at all damn uneducated greedy people..

There is way out there computer enthusiasts, old hardware collectors vs the scrap greedy bastards..

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 2 of 26, by TOBOR

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Radical Vision wrote:
Don`t know if most people collect all that hardware just for DOS games, newer games and such or other thing. Im doing this bcuz […]
Show full quote

Don`t know if most people collect all that hardware just for DOS games, newer games and such or other thing. Im doing this bcuz i just like the damn parts + im saving the hardware from idiots, morons and other plebs that destroy them, ones for the damn gold insade, others bcuz they don`t care, others brake hardware for fun i guess, or trow working computers/parts to the trash and that is not welcomed here from my side, specially the high end old parts, legendary ones like ABIT boards, some ASUS, 3Dfx, AMD, Intel, CyriX, IBM processors and other, and all type of good stuff that are not just trash or the gold inside..
That cavemans the scrap guys they destroy that hardware like is nothing, and other smart people years ago did spend even more time inventing all that parts, but is way easy to destroy then to create.........

From one thing i hate the most the greedy bastards that destroy the good stuff just to get the gold, specially working things, that have value, bcuz no one cares for ECS boards, asrock, acorp and other.
I even think there need to be some law against primates that kills old high end or precious pc or other hardware, and when the police get them they will be forced to pay big amounts of money for that, bcuz is retarded to destroy the computer history that is the thing that let us where are we today, and the computer history specially things like CyriX, 3Dfx and others that ddi change the world to be payed some f***king respect, not to be destroyed. As if was not 3Dfx the gaming industry maybe will not be the same, but the scrap people they don`t care at all damn uneducated greedy people..

There is way out there computer enthusiasts, old hardware collectors vs the scrap greedy bastards..

It is extremely difficult to take you seriously BECAUSE of your poor spelling, grammar and sentence structure. Please refine those skills in the future.

If the truth hurts, tough shit.

Reply 6 of 26, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Auzner wrote:

In this thread we talk about how melting a Pentium Pro might as well be as heinous as melting King Tut's mask.

Quite frankly, it's not THAT badless either.

But these rants are pointless as things are not so simple. Of course many people only care about the money, but the same goes for some dodgy sellers and for dodgy resellers. Or dodgy collectors or collectors who are only in it for bragging rights and the list keeps going.
There was even a gold scrapper who worked with collectors to identify collectible stuff so these items could be saved and this was mostly a lot of extra work for the guy.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 26, by Kubik

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It would be enough to explain those people that the particular piece of hardware they have in hand might have a value of two dollars in gold it contains, but they can as well sell it on eBay for ten or hundred times more.

Reply 10 of 26, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I understand both positions, and both have something to say about it I think and I think chances are good you already noticed not all retro computing and retrogaming enthusiasts share this opinion. But I do understand it.

You are correct generally speaking, but it's not the case that 90% of the parts are unservicable and that old parts are worthless by definition. Part of the problem stems from determining its correct value and sellability and while not sold, these parts need to be stored somewhere.

But otoh, many enthusiasts looking for parts are denied access to recycling centers and would've paid a multitude of the scrap value of parts that the recyclers don't even need to bother with. Let the searchers of old parts do the seeking and finding part and recyclers will not only get a better rep, but also more money and better standing with the retro computing community. See it as an invitation to symbiosis 😀

And let me be very clear that it's absolutely impossible to save everything. I mean, there'd be WAY more parts then people actually needing these parts. And where should we store all these parts? In our homes? Some people here have flooded with stacks upon stacks of parts, maybe even drowning in them. Of course it's a good thing that the better and more useful parts are saved, so these can remain part of this community, but there's virtually no collector that will actually ever need 500 pieces of EDO SIMMs or 200 broken proprietary motherboards. So I think recycling these is a good option. And yes, it's better these chemicals don't end up in the environment.
But to me (and this is me voicing my opinion) at some point protecting the recyclers against people who search parts so they have virtually NO option to search the mountains of parts before it's recycled, is going too far.
Noone should have a monopoly here.

So why not help eachother?

edit: There was some stuff deleted, so this reply seems a bit out of place but since I still liked the content, I decided not to delete the content and leave it as is.

Last edited by Tetrium on 2018-01-31, 03:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 26, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Also a lot of people don't understand the hobby of old computers. To them, it's just useless old junk. Most people don't value old sound cards and processors the way we do. People on IRC always make fun of my "doorstops." Do what you want to do, don't let others judge you for your hobbies. Unless your hobbies are... you know, illegal...

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 12 of 26, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lol im sure i did not create new thread with my first post, but whatever.
Or maybe some admin did make it, still nice to see someone thinks the same way..
Now about my spelling, grammar and such, i have bad one, and so what i learned english from games, movies, internet and other, not from school. And yeah is not perfect, but deal with it..

Also the guy that created the topic with my comment, can clean it from the bad grammar, so to be better understand from others..

oeuvre wrote:

Also a lot of people don't understand the hobby of old computers. To them, it's just useless old junk. Most people don't value old sound cards and processors the way we do. People on IRC always make fun of my "doorstops." Do what you want to do, don't let others judge you for your hobbies. Unless your hobbies are... you know, illegal...

Exactly the same, that is what people think of all old, like audio, cards, PC hardware, consoles and all others you can think of..
Im ok with them melting broken pieces of hardware or low end/bad brands and junk. but im NOT ok if that baboons melt working hardware just for the sake of getting the gold...
I don`t have even a single Pentium Pro, im sure they did melt tons of them, and i did also not buy one of them as they are so much expensive...
F**king greedy people, that don`t respect the history, they don`t deserve to have modern smartphones, computers and laptops...
Also look what the Bitcoin did to the modern hardware, there are not a single mid range GPU on normal price, not even to think of the high end, the RAm memory did got even more expensive from the miners, there are also expensive PSU bcuz of miners.....
People are just damn greedy, that is the problem. I know other people from my country, that collect retro, old hardware for coins, they get really old hardware from 8086 to the socket 7 SLot 1 max, and for really cheap, and that dirty bastards sell the hardware on Ebay for way tooo much. That type of people just break the work of other people like me, they don`t deserve the hardware they have, i hope someone robe them one day....

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 13 of 26, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is what it is and some people like it this way as it is profitable for them down the road should they decide to sell their collections for a significant profit but there is ways around it by knowing what and when to buy. My advice is to start buying what is not considered to be old enough to be retro by most in this community when the interest isn't there and the prices are low ontop of good supply then hoard up what you can so you don't end up like most who are only now getting into dos and 9x retro. The next big thing is going to be XP/Vista era once interest and prices peak for 9x era and older hardware becomes too painful for most to accept.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 14 of 26, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
nforce4max wrote:

It is what it is and some people like it this way as it is profitable for them down the road should they decide to sell their collections for a significant profit but there is ways around it by knowing what and when to buy. My advice is to start buying what is not considered to be old enough to be retro by most in this community when the interest isn't there and the prices are low ontop of good supply then hoard up what you can so you don't end up like most who are only now getting into dos and 9x retro. The next big thing is going to be XP/Vista era once interest and prices peak for 9x era and older hardware becomes too painful for most to accept.

Systems for Vista are pretty pointless as you might as well just run Windows 7 at that point.

For high-end stuff that has official drivers for XP.. the video cards at least are still quite expensive. Probably be a couple years at least until prices drop significantly unless the video cards all start dying.. which would not surprise me one bit.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 15 of 26, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I like the old stuff but i wouldn't want the MILLIONS of tons of old junk in my back yard!

It's good the stuff gets recycled, only very few people have this hobby (or even understand it or know about this stuff).

And btw if you learn how to search away from Ebay you can still find very nice stuff out there. And don't talk about greed, there is a lot of work to be done before the very small amount of gold can get extracted. The most greed comes from people on these forums (including me) who charge a lot of money for these old parts. You would do the same if you had Adlib, Gravis, Voodoo5 6K etc. etc. etc.

Welcome to planet Earth! 🤣

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 16 of 26, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Radical Vision wrote:

Lol im sure i did not create new thread with my first post

What do you mean?

Report spammers here!

Reply 17 of 26, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:
Radical Vision wrote:

What do you mean?

He's commenting upon the fact that I split this off from the 4-yr-old thread he bumped.

Sorry, Radical Vision, "necroposting" is frowned upon by most of the moderators.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 18 of 26, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stiletto wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
Radical Vision wrote:

What do you mean?

He's commenting upon the fact that I split this off from the 4-yr-old thread he bumped.

Sorry, Radical Vision, "necroposting" is frowned upon by most of the moderators.

Ah thanks! Makes much more sense now 😀
My apologies to Radical Vision for kinda doubting his sanity for a lil I come in peace 😁

Report spammers here!

Reply 19 of 26, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:
badmojo wrote:

pointless ranting.

Hey my original post was far more clever than this! I've been misrepresented!

Sorry! 🙁

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto