VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 940 of 1005, by midicollector

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry if I started a larger debate here, I was honestly just curious about the K5.

I don't have a problem with people paying a lot of money for things. I have a good job, so I understand it. For the most part, it never seems to be the things I have an interest in anyway, so it doesn't tend to affect me much. I tend to be pleasantly surprised when the things that are super rare that I really want are also dirt cheap (which happens more often than you might think, probably 90% of the time). For example, if I was going to buy a processor, the one that I really want and love that means a lot to me personally is still going for like $5-20. The entire processor market is still dirt cheap, so the 100% collectors are not actually affecting us retro computing lovers much.

It is interesting how different people are different kinds of collectors. Like, I'd maybe call myself a "collector" but I am actually pretty picky about what I get, and I have no interest in owning 100% of a thing. Quite the opposite, I don't even have room for a lot of the stuff I have! I try to only buy the things that are really meaningful to me that I really love, or that I really want. I'm just a different kind of collector than the 100% type people. Nothing wrong with other styles of collecting though! I don't want anyone to think I'm putting anything else down.

Again, nothing wrong with people paying money for what they want, I get it. There have been occasions where I've over paid on something because I really wanted it, and I never regretted it. I have to admit that there are things I bought because I was afraid that one day they would be unaffordable because of collectors, but I still don't have anything against it. I'm a collector too after all.

Just make sure that if you are a 100% type collector that your stuff ends up in the hands of other collectors (and not in the trash) when you pass away one day!

Reply 941 of 1005, by Mandrew

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
midicollector wrote on 2023-09-09, 05:00:

Just make sure that if you are a 100% type collector that your stuff ends up in the hands of other collectors (and not in the trash) when you pass away one day!

I actually put detailed instructions in my will about that, I'm not even kidding.
I also told the wife I'll be back haunting her ass if she doesn't execute it.

Reply 942 of 1005, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mandrew wrote on 2023-09-09, 05:27:
midicollector wrote on 2023-09-09, 05:00:

I actually put detailed instructions in my will about that, I'm not even kidding.
I also told the wife I'll be back haunting her ass if she doesn't execute it.

Wow, that's impressive!

Reply 943 of 1005, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Watched this ASUS Ti4600 go for 696 AUD yesterday, no fucking clue why anyone would pay that much for it, even a NIB Ti4600 wouldn't be worth 700 AUD. You can buy a modern 4000 Series RTX card for less, same for a RDNA 3 GPU. Factoring in postage and taxes bringing it to say 750 AUD to send it international it would be about ~480 USD, still far to pricey for a 20 year old GPU.

No Idea Why.jpg
Filename
No Idea Why.jpg
File size
134.66 KiB
Views
File comment
Why Why Why
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Out of spite I went and bought a working Gainward Golden Sample Ti4600 128 for 50 bucks, Jesus people are stupid.

Gainward GS Ti4600.jpg
Filename
Gainward GS Ti4600.jpg
File size
145.24 KiB
Views
File comment
Not my picture but same model Ti4600
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 944 of 1005, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Trashbytes wrote on 2023-09-10, 14:35:
Watched this ASUS Ti4600 go for 696 AUD yesterday, no fucking clue why anyone would pay that much for it, even a NIB Ti4600 woul […]
Show full quote

Watched this ASUS Ti4600 go for 696 AUD yesterday, no fucking clue why anyone would pay that much for it, even a NIB Ti4600 wouldn't be worth 700 AUD. You can buy a modern 4000 Series RTX card for less, same for a RDNA 3 GPU. Factoring in postage and taxes bringing it to say 750 AUD to send it international it would be about ~480 USD, still far to pricey for a 20 year old GPU.

No Idea Why.jpg

Out of spite I went and bought a working Gainward Golden Sample Ti4600 128 for 50 bucks, Jesus people are stupid.

Gainward GS Ti4600.jpg

I've been watching that guys items on ebay , theres some strange prices that stuffs gone for.

Like this Mystique with memory addon.

MYST.PNG
Filename
MYST.PNG
File size
161.55 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I checked ebay and there was another that went for wayyy less.

MSY.PNG
Filename
MSY.PNG
File size
129.91 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I dunno maybe because he has a lot of items people are just going ape and impulse bidding?

Reply 945 of 1005, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I dont get it either, they have a setup for sale with that Special ASUS board that takes the dual socket 8 CPUs, also has dual Pentium Pro ODs up as well. Going to watch what they go for the sale prices are really weird.

And who in hell is paying 470 dollars for a Matrox Mystique with ram upgrade ..??? I bought one a year ago for about 30 USD with that upgrade board so 470 is well beyond normal.

Reply 946 of 1005, by timsdf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Trashbytes wrote on 2023-09-10, 14:35:
Watched this ASUS Ti4600 go for 696 AUD yesterday, no fucking clue why anyone would pay that much for it, even a NIB Ti4600 woul […]
Show full quote

No Idea Why.jpg

Gainward GS Ti4600.jpg

Gainward card is nicer than Asus ti 4600. Dual DVI, better image processing chip and polymer caps. Worse stock cooler but it's easy to replace. Asus looks nice, that's only reason why it costs that much (for someone) 😁

Reply 947 of 1005, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Trashbytes wrote on 2023-09-10, 15:09:

Yeah I dont get it either, they have a setup for sale with that Special ASUS board that takes the dual socket 8 CPUs, also has dual Pentium Pro ODs up as well. Going to watch what they go for the sale prices are really weird.

And who in hell is paying 470 dollars for a Matrox Mystique with ram upgrade ..??? I bought one a year ago for about 30 USD with that upgrade board so 470 is well beyond normal.

I wonder if sometimes these weird prices aren't some sort of money laundering or insurance scam.
🤔

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 948 of 1005, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
acl wrote on 2023-09-10, 16:37:

I wonder if sometimes these weird prices aren't some sort of money laundering or insurance scam.
🤔

Sometimes maybe, but it seems that in most cases these are weird sellers with a lot of patience, since they are trying to sell their stuff for years. 😄

Reply 949 of 1005, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2023-09-10, 17:26:

🤔

Sometimes maybe, but it seems that in most cases these are weird sellers with a lot of patience, since they are trying to sell their stuff for years. 😄

A lot of sellers will offer you a deal when you add an item to your watchlist. They are banking on people buying it on impulse because they feel like they are getting a deal. Sometimes I'll add something really overpriced because it looks cool and I want to do some research on it later. It's not uncommon for me to get a 50% off offer from the seller immediately after adding it. That's why I never use eBay listings to judge value.

Reply 950 of 1005, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2023-09-10, 18:05:

🤔

A lot of sellers will offer you a deal when you add an item to your watchlist. They are banking on people buying it on impulse because they feel like they are getting a deal. Sometimes I'll add something really overpriced because it looks cool and I want to do some research on it later. It's not uncommon for me to get a 50% off offer from the seller immediately after adding it. That's why I never use eBay listings to judge value.

The best discount I've ever been offered in this manor was 25% and the vast majority of the time it's somewhere in the 5-15% range. 50% is not the norm, far from it

Reply 951 of 1005, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maxtherabbit wrote on 2023-09-10, 18:29:

The best discount I've ever been offered in this manor was 25% and the vast majority of the time it's somewhere in the 5-15% range. 50% is not the norm, far from it

I said it's not uncommon for me to be offered 50% off, not that it's the norm. To me "not uncommon" just means that it happens with regularity, not that it is the most common practice. In my experience, I frequently get offers that are at least 25-33%. I also get enough at 50% for me to notice it. This is a silly thing to argue about anyways. There's no way to know if we are even adding similar items to our watchlists. Moreover, I often filter results to exclude those outside of Canada. Offering 50% off might just be the regular discount of a local seller.

Reply 952 of 1005, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

🤔

Adding to a watchlist is a good idea actually.

Reply 953 of 1005, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2023-09-10, 18:40:

I often filter results to exclude those outside of Canada. Offering 50% off might just be the regular discount of a local seller.

Sporting "buy local" does help quite a bit for in-Canada eBay sales.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 955 of 1005, by midicollector

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I generally get offered about 10-15% off on watchlisted items. I always really appreciate it when they do that though, even if I don't end up going for it. If it's an item I really want though, and they offer me even like 10% off, it's generally enough to get me to purchase it. Probably half the items I bought it was because I really wanted it and then they offered me %10 off which was just enough to push me over the edge.

I have had some really nice interactions with sellers. I was in the market for an extremely rare keyboard, and someone had one in a lot of three keyboards for like $100+ for the lot. I bought immediately and messaged them saying "just ship that one keyboard, keep the rest." They actually knocked 2/3 off the price and just shipped the one keyboard for me, super nice. On a side note, I could tell they were like "WTF?????" about me being willing to spend over $100 just for that one random keyboard 😂

I've also frequently gotten power adapters and other nice goodies like that which weren't originally listed but that they found before shipping. The prices on ebay might not always be the best, but the selection is great and the sellers can be really nice sometimes.

I also recommend using the feature that allows you to watch a specific search term for new items. Sometimes really good deals go fast, so that helps you to be one of the first to see it.

Reply 956 of 1005, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AppleSauce wrote on 2023-09-10, 14:57:

I dunno maybe because he has a lot of items people are just going ape and impulse bidding?

This is definitely a factor I think - I've sold sort-after stuff and been disappointed with the price when it's just an individual item I had for sale, but when selling a large number of things with multiple auctions going at once then I've gotten some ridiculous prices. My guess is that people see something for sale, hit 'view other items', put them on their watchlist, see other people doing the same and bidding, then lose their minds and have to have these things that they wouldn't have even noticed otherwise.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 957 of 1005, by marbury

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My score from last night: Siemens Nixdorf PCD-4H 486 DX 33, 8MB Ram @ 169Euros -> https://www.ebay.de/itm/195974741417
I am watching those PCs for a very long time now since this was my first ever PC (with a SX25 CPU) and prices are usually ridiculous and range to up to 2.7k for an extremely dusty one! Which I do not understand the slightest.

DOS Gaming: Biostar 8433UUD, AMD 5x86 P-75@150MHz, 64MB Ram, ViRGE 3D/DX 4MB, Aztech MM Pro 16ABI, Dos 6.22, Win 3.11
Windows gaming: Chaintech CT-5AGM2, AMD K6-2+/570ACZ@600MHz, 384MB Ram, Voodoo 3 AGP, SoundBlaster Vibra 16, Win 98

Reply 958 of 1005, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
marbury wrote on 2023-09-18, 08:31:

My score from last night: Siemens Nixdorf PCD-4H 486 DX 33, 8MB Ram @ 169Euros -> https://www.ebay.de/itm/195974741417
I am watching those PCs for a very long time now since this was my first ever PC (with a SX25 CPU) and prices are usually ridiculous and range to up to 2.7k for an extremely dusty one! Which I do not understand the slightest.

Paying for the name and the fact its industrial hardware, nearly all industrial level PC hardware goes for stupid amounts, especially more modern industrial boards with ISA and other depreciated IO. (Siemens does make some really high quality kit, so it has an even higher markup)

Modern 386/486 reproductions for industry also tend to fetch very high prices, since its not exactly retro gear but modern reproductions.

Reply 959 of 1005, by marbury

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Trashbytes wrote on 2023-09-18, 12:48:

Paying for the name and the fact its industrial hardware, nearly all industrial level PC hardware goes for stupid amounts, especially more modern industrial boards with ISA and other depreciated IO. (Siemens does make some really high quality kit, so it has an even higher markup)

Modern 386/486 reproductions for industry also tend to fetch very high prices, since its not exactly retro gear but modern reproductions.

I know what you mean but yeah I still don't know. When my parents got me this back then low end home PC it was the cheapest available at 2500DM. I think it's the name mostly. Anyway it's ridiculous to pay up to 2700 euros for a PC that's often enough marked as "not working for parts only". Anyway, glad I got this and it will accompany my other gear making a nice PC for the "slow" dos games and for the nostalgia of my first ever PC.

DOS Gaming: Biostar 8433UUD, AMD 5x86 P-75@150MHz, 64MB Ram, ViRGE 3D/DX 4MB, Aztech MM Pro 16ABI, Dos 6.22, Win 3.11
Windows gaming: Chaintech CT-5AGM2, AMD K6-2+/570ACZ@600MHz, 384MB Ram, Voodoo 3 AGP, SoundBlaster Vibra 16, Win 98