VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 900 of 1005, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Unknown_K wrote on 2023-07-25, 05:40:

Listing is free so you can put a few hundred expensive auctions up a month and wait for a few to sell to make some money. I think people who list junk at $1 and have to ship tons of packages for little to no profit are kind of nuts. Most sellers do the in between when they feel like it.

You forgot a storage cost. Also sometimes those who list at $1 simply want their junk to find a new home instead of being recycled. Once one eBay seller sent me some HP 200LX accessories just for free for a cost of shipping. I'm very grateful to him for this and don't find him nuts at all.

Reply 901 of 1005, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The cheap stuff gets an economy of scale if you do a lot of it though, you can probably binge pack 20 items in an hour, whereas single higher price items sold infrequently you probably take half an hour, finding the stuff, getting set up, packing it, putting stuff away. I think probably the cheaper stuff makes $5 total per item anyway between actual price and "handling" charge. Though not the "too good to throw away" one offs. If it's business oriented rather than private sellers, they probably do volume to keep themselves in a small commercial unit where UPS does pickups. Then also there's some sellers who are basically small scale defrauding their employers, every item is worth $20 to them, because they ship it on the employers account and pocket the shipping.

Even cheap stuff just sits and sits though. A decade back I had a couple of boxes full of stuff from a relative's estate, sorta collectables, think like Hummels and Wades but not the rare stuff. Priced between yard sale and fleamarket it just sat and sat, months, never sold one, though similar stuff was selling. Actually I remember one was a virtual face slap, listing at 3x the price of mine for same piece, visible chip off the base, dings in the detail, seller didn't have much more feedback than me, sold... while mine, not a peep. Maybe there's such a thing as listing too low. I've come to think it's probably better to list high and then take reasonable offers.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 902 of 1005, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2023-07-25, 13:34:

Listing is free so you can put a few hundred expensive auctions up a month and wait for a few to sell to make some money. I think people who list junk at $1 and have to ship tons of packages for little to no profit are kind of nuts. Most sellers do the in between when they feel like it.

You forgot a storage cost. Also sometimes those who list at $1 simply want their junk to find a new home instead of being recycled. Once one eBay seller sent me some HP 200LX accessories just for free for a cost of shipping. I'm very grateful to him for this and don't find him nuts at all.

People dump stuff on the local craigslist if they just want it gone (usually). As far as storage costs if you have a large empty basement or garage you store the stuff there for free.

You are correct that some people on eBay do want stuff gone and list it for basic shipping costs even if it is worth more. My Last X99 motherboard with i7 CPU was acquired from a guy who upgraded ages ago and just wanted the thing gone (and was listed as parts but was 100% fully working).

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 903 of 1005, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

NEC Versas are interesting laptops and I have half a dozen or more of them (486/Pentium 1 ERA). The issue I have with them are the feet turn to goo, some have hinge issues, and mostly they kept changing the power bricks in-between models using that funky 4 pin connector plus spare parts are hard to locate, and the HD caddy is proprietary. The plus side is they were decently designed and don't have the Thinkpad coating. Most laptops you find today have the HDs removed making like hell finding caddys and connectors.

I think that's a lot of 486/Pentium 1 era laptops actually as far as proprietary connectors go. I have several spares in my collection now because I've parted out so many that were beyond repair (like an ultralite 25C that reeked of fish, and a couple 40ECs that had dead motherboards but good plastic). My NanTan Notebook FMAK9200 is the same as the Versa as far as HDD caddies go and they are waaaaay harder to find. What's funny is I'm finding the older stuff like my FMA3500C is a lot more "Future proof" - it uses a desktop 3.5" hard disk, 🤣, and I crimped on a dead Versadock power supply molex to it and it worked with my8GB Seagate.

I'm kind of done with the Versa series n ow since I've explored them so much. I've found the M/75 and P/75 to be the most hardy of the two, with the M/75 being king of the hill. That thing was when they still staked the keyboard through the chassis so they hold together a little better. I found pounding out the retainer on the stacked-friction-hinges loosens em' up enough to no longer break plastic, and then I reinforce/fix the plastic with baking soda and superglue. The only one I MIGHT buy was that OP-400 with the trackball because that looked like some kind of weirdo prototype and not a regular NEC Versa model. The PC-400 did not have a trackball. My only current project is replacing the touch screen glass in my M/75, and modifying a KXL-D20 to either output through the internal speaker or have a speaker of it's own. With a 486 DX4, WSS, SoundBlaster (ESS1868), 802.11b WiFi, a good trackball, and Touch that's like the ultimate retro-laptop for me.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 904 of 1005, by marbury

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just found this while casually browsing eBay.

A Cx5x86 120GP for $724

https://www.ebay.de/itm/115737501119?mkcid=16 … emis&media=COPY

Wonder what makes this price legit other than someone willing to pay that much for some reason

DOS Gaming: Biostar 8433UUD, AMD 5x86 P-75@150MHz, 64MB Ram, ViRGE 3D/DX 4MB, Aztech MM Pro 16ABI, Dos 6.22, Win 3.11
Windows gaming: Chaintech CT-5AGM2, AMD K6-2+/570ACZ@600MHz, 384MB Ram, Voodoo 3 AGP, SoundBlaster Vibra 16, Win 98

Reply 905 of 1005, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have no idea... but ~6 months ago one Cx586-120GP was sold in an auction for around 650USD and it was in very bad shape. I think it was mentioned in this thread.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 906 of 1005, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
marbury wrote on 2023-08-18, 13:32:
Just found this while casually browsing eBay. […]
Show full quote

A Cx5x86 120GP for $724

Wonder what makes this price legit other than someone willing to pay that much for some reason

It is a rare, but not sooo rare, because from time to time it pops up on ebay. So 724$ is ridiculous. What is really rare is a Cyrix 5x86-133, so maybe for this the price would make sense, but of course still very high.

Reply 907 of 1005, by marbury

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wrote them a message asking what they think makes this worth $700-ish. Let’s see if they are brave enough to answer 😉

DOS Gaming: Biostar 8433UUD, AMD 5x86 P-75@150MHz, 64MB Ram, ViRGE 3D/DX 4MB, Aztech MM Pro 16ABI, Dos 6.22, Win 3.11
Windows gaming: Chaintech CT-5AGM2, AMD K6-2+/570ACZ@600MHz, 384MB Ram, Voodoo 3 AGP, SoundBlaster Vibra 16, Win 98

Reply 908 of 1005, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Show full quote

A Cx5x86 120GP for $724

A lot of sellers will list stuff for way more than they expect to get,then offer you a large discount if you add one of their items to your watchlist. I don't take any eBay price at face value.

Reply 909 of 1005, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh, I just saw that they are describing it as having gold that you could recover. That drives me crazy. What a waste.

Does anyone know how much money you could get from extracting the gold from a CPU? Is it really enough to justify that cost? I'd assume that we'd hear more about people buying up CPUs for gold if you could make a lot of money that way.

Reply 910 of 1005, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's between $5- $15 worth in older CPUs, that's why I'm always happy to see them selling at more than that, it keeps them from getting crushed up. P-Pros are supposed to have rather a lot though, up to $50ish when the gold price high. A whole gram when the range in others is more like 0.1 to 0.25

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 911 of 1005, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2023-08-18, 16:42:

Oh, I just saw that they are describing it as having gold that you could recover. That drives me crazy. What a waste.

Does anyone know how much money you could get from extracting the gold from a CPU? Is it really enough to justify that cost? I'd assume that we'd hear more about people buying up CPUs for gold if you could make a lot of money that way.

In French : https://www.journaldugeek.com/2022/03/31/il-f … de-fiancailles/

He extracted 6g of gold from 10Kg of CPUs (to craft an engagement ring for his gf)

The 10Kg of CPU contained a lot of PentiumPros at 40€ a piece. And the whole CPU lot was arount 2000€. So Around 330€ for 1g of gold... I think "normal" gold price is around 60€/g today.

So making money on this is complete BS.

Edit :

BitWrangler wrote on 2023-08-18, 22:18:

There's between $5- $15 worth in older CPUs, that's why I'm always happy to see them selling at more than that, it keeps them from getting crushed up. P-Pros are supposed to have rather a lot though, up to $50ish when the gold price high. A whole gram when the range in others is more like 0.1 to 0.25

Yes, you're probably right for the proportions. But this might not be easy to extract all gold. Yield is probably low, and especially if you're doing it by yourself.

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 912 of 1005, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
acl wrote on 2023-08-18, 22:21:
In French : https://www.journaldugeek.com/2022/03/31/il-f … de-fiancailles/ […]
Show full quote

He extracted 6g of gold from 10Kg of CPUs (to craft an engagement ring for his gf)

The 10Kg of CPU contained a lot of PentiumPros at 40€ a piece. And the whole CPU lot was arount 2000€. So Around 330€ for 1g of gold... I think "normal" gold price is around 60€/g today.

Edit :

BitWrangler wrote on 2023-08-18, 22:18:

Yes, you're probably right for the proportions. But this might not be easy to extract all gold. Yield is probably low, and especially if you're doing it by yourself.

None of this includes the cost of the chemicals required for extraction or gas cost to melt it back into a usable metal or the cost of the silly amount of time required for the entire process.

Its a straight loss situation.

Reply 913 of 1005, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Show full quote

A Cx5x86 120GP for $724

[]

A friendly reminder, please only post completed eBay listings in this thread. The moderators do not want active listings here.

That Cx5x86-120 looks to be S0R5, so not very valuable in my opinion. More desirable and rare are the Cx5x86-120 chips that are S1R3 because branch prediction works in Windows.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 914 of 1005, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Show full quote

yes indeed, and not only that but a 6g lump of of gold is useless for setting up a massive quake multiplayer network

Reply 915 of 1005, by marbury

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote on 2023-08-19, 00:32:
Show full quote

A Cx5x86 120GP for $724

[]

A friendly reminder, please only post completed eBay listings in this thread. The moderators do not want active listings here.

That Cx5x86-120 looks to be S0R5, so not very valuable in my opinion. More desirable and rare are the Cx5x86-120 chips that are S1R3 because branch prediction works in Windows.

Full ack. Prices might go down. I just needed to vent my bewilderment about such audacity.

But what might belong here is this which I have bought: Biostar 8433 UUD rev 2 for 130€

https://www.ebay.de/itm/285418633483?mkcid=16 … emis&media=COPY

Price is imho kind of okay-ish. Board was naked without even cache and had a broken trace which was easily fixed by me. Had a Dallas battery fix but I replaced the rtc altogether.
Thought about it hard but I haven’t seen any Biostar in a long time now.

Reply 916 of 1005, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerry wrote on 2023-08-22, 14:40:
Show full quote

yes indeed, and not only that but a 6g lump of of gold is useless for setting up a massive quake multiplayer network

I would not marry someone who values gold more than retro CPUs.

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 917 of 1005, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just got an Asus P5A-B at a thrift for cheap, so of course wanted to see what they are "going for" on fleabay these days, holy cow, not one sold cheaper than $200 US for as far back as the sold item search goes.

Reply 919 of 1005, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Someone is locally selling this little gem for 320€.
Literally 15min from home.
Sound Blaster 2.0 complete in box

I won't buy it but I don't think the price is sky-high
either considering the condition. (But not cheap for sure !)

Sorry for pics quality. Cropped screenshots from my phone.

Screenshot_2023-09-03-10-59-59-465_fr.leboncoin_1.jpg
Filename
Screenshot_2023-09-03-10-59-59-465_fr.leboncoin_1.jpg
File size
97.5 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Screenshot_2023-09-03-10-59-59-465_fr.leboncoin_1_1.jpg
Filename
Screenshot_2023-09-03-10-59-59-465_fr.leboncoin_1_1.jpg
File size