VOGONS

Common searches

Exclusive Facebook Groups for PC Hardware

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am not a huge Facebook user, but I do know there are some Facebook groups dedicated to some aspect of retro computing and gaming. Some time ago I came across this Group :

Capture.PNG
Filename
Capture.PNG
File size
825.98 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Closed clubs or groups are not unusual, applications to join are vetted by mods to prevent spammers. Unlike every other Facebook group I know that is related to retro, this one requires proof of current ownership of the card in its title to join.

When I took that screenshot, there were only 87 members. Now it is up to 119 members. In order to join the club, you need to answer the following :

"Please link a foto that have to contain your 3dfx voodoo 5 5500 and a little note with you name, surname and today's date, this is needed to prove that you own one"

Other than the 1st individual to join the group outside of the creator, our own PhilsComputerLab, I could not recognize anyone.

Several years ago, I owned a Voodoo 5 5500 MAC PCI card and then could have claimed membership. Unfortunately that card became partially defective and I stupidly threw it away. Even if I still had it, in the words of Groucho Marx "I would never join any club that would have me as a member."

Do anyone know of other groups, inside or outside of Facebook, where current ownership of a particular piece of computing or console hardware is required for ownership? I know there is an Apple I Owners Club, but that one does not have any exclusivity or closed-off member participation other than the Apple I Registry. I know there is a Voodoo 5 6000 owners list. Owners lists, by their nature, require actual possession of the item, but recognition is all the benefit they typically convey.

So, what do you think about "collector's clubs" Egregious elitism, silly snobbery, the downfall of our hobby or the pinnacle of human achievement? In a case like this, I tend to see it as something like silly snobbery. There are pieces of PC hardware that are rarer than the Voodoo 5 5500. Moreover, I doubt this club is very active, so it is probably more like an owner's list. There isn't much secret information out there about a Voodoo 5 5500

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 1 of 4, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think it's fine and dandy - I know of a couple of people who have stopped posting here because of what they considered to be unreasonable levels of drama so I imagine that having a manageable group of people with a specific interest in a piece of hardware / topic would be attractive to them. Like you say it's probably hard to sustain an active community with those limitations but that's the price they pay I guess. I don't think it's silly snobbery, just an attempt to keep it simple which I'm all for personally.

But in my mind GH you're a well known retro hardware nerd who has contributed so much with your excellent blog - if any group refused you entry then I'd be surprised.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2 of 4, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay, I don't really like that kind of gatekeeping stuff because I believe it just keeps fragmentating a community that is already considered niche itself, but that group is likely to be nothing more than another classic example of pedantry in disguise rather than a useful resource of information about the card.

To each his/her own thing I guess!

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 3 of 4, by Qjimbo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Heh, kind of funny to see this on here.

I'm a member of that group. I posted a picture of my childhood Voodoo 5 on another group and got added into it. My take is that it's a bit of silly harmless fun to make owners feel special about owning a slightly unusual piece of hardware. Very little actually goes on in the group of any value, and anything unique would probably be shared somewhere where it would get more exposure anyway. I certainly don't feel "elite" for having a Voodoo 5, for me it's just a piece of nostalgia that I held onto, not a commodity to show off.

Follow me on twitter

Reply 4 of 4, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I, too, am a member. I helped someone locate the replacement HSFs that I installed on mine. That's about the extent of my activity there. It's merely a place to post where others may have had the issue, Group name notwithstanding.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build