VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As the title says. Looking for some advice on a modern-ish setup for video capture & editing, and maybe Blender stuff. My Athlon64 X2 system isn't going to cut it.

Is there a depreciation sweet spot for anything right now? AMD FX-series maybe? I'm not concerned about gaming performance at all, just want something that can chew through a ton of threads without grinding to a halt. Preferably using DDR2 or 3 and not being a space heater either. (I'm not averse to underclocking & downvolting, as long as it's "good enough.")

I do have a pretty sweet Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe (AM2) I could presumably drop a Phenom II onto, but not married to that idea.

Open to 'out there' solutions too, like dual 771 Xeons or something. Has to be cheap though.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1 of 6, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On that note, how terrible an idea is this? $57 with free shipping and I already have one compatible Xeon if I take it out of my 775 machine. Am I going to be into an expensive rabbit hole of PSU & CPU coolers just to get this thing going?

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 4 of 6, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
darry wrote:

Socket 1366 on x58 seems like an option for cheap and fast 6 cores in a single socket .

+1 to this. A pair of x5650's or better on a decent dual socket board would shred for cheap. Heck, Sandbridge based servers are even cheap now.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 5 of 6, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some x79 Xeons are unlocked though rare one can overclock up to 5.8ghz with an 8 core E1xxx no less but almost all of them to be found online are the much more common E2xxx models.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 6 of 6, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

HP Z600 or Z800 workstations are pretty cheap. If you only need one processor, look at the Z400/ThinkStation S20.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif