VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by 0kool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I discovered TCC some time ago and while it's enjoyable, the venerable host is getting on my nerves (by constantly cutting off his guests and over-projecting his self-importance at any opportunity - read always). Also it's not going into details much.

the computer chronicles.JPG

If you know about something similar (emphasis on PC and compatibles, software, PC games; other computer related stuff), but more thorough - please do tell. I'm particularly interested in the early to late 90's, anything that was produced in the USA (or at least in English). If you watched it and enjoyed at the time yourself - even better! A bit of personal history will make a fine dressing!

No Netflix exclusives please 😀.

Reply 1 of 5, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Unfortunately there isn't much. The Screensavers was the other big computer show though not many actually archived their old 98-03 ZDTV/TechTV era with most of the complete episode uploads being the same stamp-sized 1fps videos from the site (which stopped around mid-2000 due to cable execs - way too soon for their sensibilities for on-demand TV).

Nothing for the cnet tv shows that aired on Scifi/USA then either. 🙁

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 5, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
0kool wrote:

(by constantly cutting off his guests and over-projecting his self-importance at any opportunity - read always)

If Stewart Cheifet let his guests just ramble about without any moderation there would be no time for nothing else. One individual just rambles and others would get no chance to open their mouths. With the limited running time of the show Stewart did a great job. TCC was his baby.

Reply 3 of 5, by 0kool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You know what? Thinking not emotionally, you're probably right. Limited running time is certainly to blame for many of the show's shortcomings. And at any rate, it is not very classy of me to berate the best (and by the looks of it the only) thing we still can enjoy.
Just missing 90's here, that's all..

Reply 4 of 5, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Silicon Valley has shifted from open systems and information to propriety, corporate secrets and classified.
It's all corporate property today and corporate secrets.

The only American consumer computer companies left in Silicon Valley are

Apple
HP
Intel
AMD
eBay
Amazon
Microsoft

Apple has taken over where HP left off by building there space ship campus on top of the old HP corporate head quarters in Cupertino ca.

Some Bay area shows and news still around:
Twit, which you can view on Youtube and heard on Alexa. Just ask Alexa " Alexa, play twit"
https://www.youtube.com/user/twit

Mercury news in San Jose, ca. :
https://www.mercurynews.com/

Reply 5 of 5, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's good on stewart to not let the salesmen turn it into a commercial for their products. I think more notable though is that they had garry kildall hosting as well, and not many shows can claim that.