VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know some of you have done this, so I'd like to pick your collective brains for a bit. I'm looking for an inexpensive setup. something big enough that i can dunk a motherboard in. any tips as to what I need, what i should look out for, which fluids work best?

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 1 of 2, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DaveJustDave wrote:

I'm looking for an inexpensive setup. something big enough that i can dunk a motherboard in.

Define "inexpensive".

I also have a feeling that the size requirements to clean an MB (ATX size?) will likely preclude anything cheap.

Most cheap ultrasonics are quite small; they're aimed at cleaning glasses or jewelry. Anything much larger and you're getting into commercial territory.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 2 of 2, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You at least in need of a 12lt unit (smaller ones exists but their tank sizes are not enough for a motherboard). This is pretty much an industrial unit, and probably will cost at least more than a thousands of USD. Chemicals (more like powerful detergents really) are generally available from the equipment suppliers and need to be determined according to the materials that will be cleaned.

I have no idea about interaction of chemicals and a PCB though (any destructive side effects?) since I never used or heard of ultrasonic cleaning in such a job. If there is such a process used in industrial scales, it's my bad not hearing any of it but, actually I'm rather familiar with the process (all the factories that I worked for for the last 20 years have ultrasonic degreasing lines installed) and also with PCB cleaning (managed an industrial maintenance team for years).

One reminder, any metal that is not protected against corrosion (i.e. uncoated, unplated, unpainted, steel) will be corroded in a matter of hours after the cleaning, be aware of that fact.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000