First post, by keenmaster486
No, this isn't a "we should go to war" post! It's an observation on human nature and historical trends.
It is universally acknowledged that war is a horrible thing that should be avoided.
But I think there is a cycle here. Here's how it goes:
1. War is caused by human nature being inherently evil
2. When we go to war we are forcefully reminded of that fact
3. After war we are sobered and pledge never to go to war again, or make the mistakes that led to war
4. This sobriety and realistic thinking leads to periods of peace and prosperity
5. Slowly over time, and through generations, we lose that sobriety and forget how evil humans can be
6. This forgetfulness leads to foolish behavior and unrealistic/utopian thinking and we end up going to war again, oftentimes because the better among us are duped by those who are evil and want to take advantage of our goodwill.
The "we" here refers to anyone, really, but I think specifically everyone here in the West who has worked so hard to build the current model of peace and prosperity after World War II, with the United Nations, NATO, trade agreements, international cooperation, etc. etc.
I think perhaps those in the world who are evil will find the time ripe at some point to "pull the wool over the eyes" of gullible peace-seekers in the UN and other places, while planning world domination. In fact this is already happening with countries such as Iran and North Korea, but they are small fry compared to Russia and China, for example. I think China in particular might be planning something, as they've been building their military lately. (note: this is not a commentary on the Chinese people, for example! It is a commentary on the leadership of these countries. Chinese people don't get to pick their leaders.)
This has happened before and I think it may be due to happen again, sometime in the next 20 or 30 years.
The moral of the story is, we have to remember that those who desire power over others will stop at nothing to achieve that! Lying and deceiving is routine behavior for countries that would rule other countries.
If everyone would keep to themselves, we would not have these issues. But people want to control other people. This is the root problem that foils so many good things in domestic and foreign politics.
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
World's foremost 486 enjoyer.