Common searches

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've created a guide here:
Running online DRM games offline guide

Feel free to contribute by posting in this thread and I'll add to the guide.

No links to cracks and non-legit software allowed. Use Google.
Posts will be deleted as info is added to the guide.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Updated the list. Would be interested in anyones thoughts.

Testing method:

1. Delete the steamapi files, create a steam_appid.txt file, try launching the game and see if steam runs.
2. Try Steamless. Most games this works on do not need Steam but some still do so you may need to still use a Steam wrapper.
3. Use SmartSteamEmu. This will run most steam games as of today.
4. For older games try LumaEmu.
4. Search the internets for files for your specific game version. This can be time intensive.
5. For the newest games try Goldberg Lan Steam Emu

Reply 4 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup.

Thanks for the comment it's appreciated.

Now that I have my test desktop up and running plan to do alot more testing.

Reply 5 of 12, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SIS installer (google for it) is able to install your old steam retail copies, you can then use steamless or the aforementioned emulators. Very handy to play for ex, the 1st release of Half Life 2.

Reply 6 of 12, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Windows XP install that I've disabled ethernet/LAN drivers to keep it offline. I want to start moving my XP games from my Steam library over there -- what's the best way to do this? I've downloaded Tomb Raider Anniversary off my steam library as a test and tried launching without Steam which it does not.

I've downloaded Steamless from github but it's not in a launchable/usable format and the readme says I need to compile it..?

At this point I'm thinking of just buying a physical copy. Eventually, you had online-required DRM on physical releases even in the XP era, I believe -- so that isn't the best solution for each game. I received confirmation from another member on here that Bioshock 1 physical required 2K activation online -- fortunately there is a GOG DRM free release for that.

Reply 7 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Steamless only works for a few games. If you don't want to use the Steam Client or variants or crack your games then SmartSteamEmu is your best bet.

I don't have Tomb Raider Anniversary but if SSE doesn't work then you'll likely need to use a crack.

Bioshock retail activation is easy to bypass, just install the game, copy the game directory before canceling the install, copy cracked exe to game directory.

Some quick stats out of my games:
44 work with Steamless (Rough numbers, some games will still need a steam emu)
133 work with SSE (Rough numbers since SSE may need to be used with other cracks)

Haven't put up a spreadsheet yet on what people need to do to make their games DRM free since I'm currently reorganzing my games and seperating out the cracks and fixes into a seperate folder structure so they can be easily sorted through then need to see how easily can be imported to a csv via powershell and how useful that will be.

Reply 8 of 12, by Clonew

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2020-06-30, 03:02:
Steamless only works for a few games. If you don't want to use the Steam Client or variants or crack your games then SmartSteam […]
Show full quote

Steamless only works for a few games. If you don't want to use the Steam Client or variants or crack your games then SmartSteamEmu is your best bet.

I don't have Tomb Raider Anniversary but if SSE doesn't work then you'll likely need to use a crack.

Bioshock retail activation is easy to bypass, just install the game, copy the game directory before canceling the install, copy cracked exe to game directory.

Some quick stats out of my games:
44 work with Steamless (Rough numbers, some games will still need a steam emu)
133 work with SSE (Rough numbers since SSE may need to be used with other cracks)

Haven't put up a spreadsheet yet on what people need to do to make their games DRM free since I'm currently reorganzing my games and seperating out the cracks and fixes into a seperate folder structure so they can be easily sorted through then need to see how easily can be imported to a csv via powershell and how useful that will be.

huge thanks, especially for SmartSteamEmu recommendation. will install and use it. may i ask you questions if i would have some in regards to this? thanks

Reply 9 of 12, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't use Steam because of DRM... I do use GoG, however.
My question is, has steam screwed with old games such that they can't run on original hardware?
I would hope that if you downloaded 80s/90s era game, say some sierra adventure like Space Quest... you could strip the steam "interface"/ "emulation" off of it and install it on original hardware?
I think you can do that with GoG...

Reply 10 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If the game requires steam to run but steam cannot run on that os anymore then you'll need to use a crack, steam emulator or find an old version of steam.

Reply 11 of 12, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2021-02-16, 11:24:

If the game requires steam to run but steam cannot run on that os anymore then you'll need to use a crack, steam emulator or find an old version of steam.

An old version of Steam won't work anymore. I finished an XP build over the holidays and none of the guides work anymore. Valve changed the auth process and even getting the latest certifications no longer lets it connect. Another annoyance is the tool I was using to remove the Steam DRM requires a newer version of .NET than XP supports. I haven't gotten around to it, but I'm planning to setup an XP/10 dual boot so I can download and patch on the same PC before transferring the game to the XP side to play.

Reply 12 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup I never use old steam clients but people seem to like to do so for some reason so I thought I'd mention it. The less crap the better IMO.

It's possible xp may get to the same point that blackingcat has done with 20000. Hard to find someone that dedicated to it. I do the same for the tools that don't work on xp and can't be hacked to do so and no alternatives then run on supported os and then copy over

I can post the latest sse, Goldberg, seamless and no drm lists if anyone is interested