Voting when you are uninformed?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 33, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BeginnerGuy wrote:

I don't vote either as I haven't felt represented by any candidate in this country since I've reached voting age.

What exactly are you looking for in order to "feel represented"; a candidate who claims to share most or all of your own goals and values? If each person waited for their perfect candidate, each election would need so many candidates that it would be virtually impossible to reach any kind of consensus. What would you do, given your viewpoints, if your country had a mandatory voting law, as some European countries do? To an extent, it goes back to the question of whether it's better to vote for the sake of voting, even if not as informed as you might feel you should be, or abstaining altogether. It shouldn't take a degree in psychology, political science or investigative journalism to form a coherent decision and feel comfortable casting a ballot.

Reply 21 of 33, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes it's mandatory voting in these parts and I'm always forced to choose b/w the lesser of 2 evils it seems. I wouldn't say that I'm very well informed but I think it's important that the majority of the population is involved in the voting system - a sensible, educated person who might otherwise overthink it and not vote can surely still determine if a candidate is outright lying and / or fear mongering. Keeping those types of people out of leadership positions should be the priority.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 22 of 33, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

Journalists are all people. Not characters in a video game. Stop using dumb terms. Even if you're being sarcastic.

Well, if you look at them and listen to them all parrot the SAME EXACT THING like they were programmed to do so and watch how they act - like they have no mind of their own, it is a really good parallel to what NPCs in games are like.

Go ahead and watch what happens when something they all "report" on looks and sounds like. They all use the same exact or almost same exact phrasing.

Um, that's exactly what you are doing. Are you saying you're an NPC?

You want people to have a mind of their own? Lead by example. Don't use the exact same word everyone that shares your political views (and no one else) does. Especially not when it's an insult that always describes the person using it. It's a really, really dumb term to use.

Reply 23 of 33, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:

Yes it's mandatory voting in these parts and I'm always forced to choose b/w the lesser of 2 evils it seems. I wouldn't say that I'm very well informed but I think it's important that the majority of the population is involved in the voting system - a sensible, educated person who might otherwise overthink it and not vote can surely still determine if a candidate is outright lying and / or fear mongering. Keeping those types of people out of leadership positions should be the priority.

You Aussies have been stuck with a big run of hopeless dilemmas over the last few election cycles. Still, as long as you can keep the next Abbott (or Tony himself) out of office, I'd say you can chalk it up as a victory.

Personally, I'd like to see some form of declined ballot rule in our national system so choosing amongst truly awful candidates is no longer mandatory.

That, or you can draft Cthulhu to run for office.
https://cthulhuforamerica.com/

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 25 of 33, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

Journalists are all people. Not characters in a video game. Stop using dumb terms. Even if you're being sarcastic.

Well, if you look at them and listen to them all parrot the SAME EXACT THING like they were programmed to do so and watch how they act - like they have no mind of their own, it is a really good parallel to what NPCs in games are like.

Go ahead and watch what happens when something they all "report" on looks and sounds like. They all use the same exact or almost same exact phrasing.

Um, that's exactly what you are doing. Are you saying you're an NPC?

You want people to have a mind of their own? Lead by example. Don't use the exact same word everyone that shares your political views (and no one else) does. Especially not when it's an insult that always describes the person using it. It's a really, really dumb term to use.

I think this is rather funny, I wonder if they realize how ironic it is.

I agree with the sentiment of the OP, and I don't remember it being this bad before "social media" was this big.
but realistically most voters are not very rational, but even if my vote is not perfect and 100% informed I try to do better and have to vote for the less bad option, well, most of the people I vote don't get elected...

Reply 26 of 33, by STX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Political discussions tend to deteriorate. So far, it's been civil, but the chances of it staying civil are slim. Therefore, I propose:
1. New sticky announcement (like the "VOGONS is no marketplace!" one) entitled "VOGONS is no political forum! Go to reddit."
2. Admins close this topic.

Reply 28 of 33, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
STX wrote:

Political discussions tend to deteriorate. So far, it's been civil, but the chances of it staying civil are slim. Therefore, I propose:
1. New sticky announcement (like the "VOGONS is no marketplace!" one) entitled "VOGONS is no political forum! Go to reddit."
2. Admins close this topic.

The discussions have been great thus far.. with very minimal name calling. There's no need to pre-police the thread and close it, while also banning what you deem is unacceptable. We're in an off topic subforum here.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 29 of 33, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Errius wrote:

Right, I guess R'lyeh would be an Australian dependent territory. It's sort of like John McCain being born in Panama.

Except I doubt anything is ever *born* in R'lyeh. Spun out of nothingness, maybe?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 30 of 33, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ha! I found badmojo's post amusing as growing up in the same part of the world "lesser of 2 evils" was always my tactic as well.

Also focusing on 1 or 2 topics. Dad was a teacher so whoever was screwing over the Education system the least Followed by Healthcare or Environment policies. Truth is you'll agree with some of their polices but not others so just go with what's important for yoi.

besides as retardware pointed out, more often then not they don't do what they said anyway
It's more about trying limiting the things you don't want them to do (Yeh I voted against brexit, that worked well, ha!)

Reply 32 of 33, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just my opinion, but despite the odds, I would rather give people a chance to learn how to argue respectfully than blanket prohibit the entire thing. I feel like it's a critical skill for the existence of democracy. If the people who just get turned off and totally shut down were the ones actually capable of having a rational conversation, that would be a pretty big loss to society. Here's hoping political conversation can be made palatable again. We could really use more exchange of ideas, and less drinking from the firehose of propaganda.

Reply 33 of 33, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Obviously the system we have here is quite different to what the US has (it's more a carbon-copy of the UK Westminster system), but the theme of voter ignorance/apathy is strong no matter where you go.

People vote for personalities and brands rather than policy and suitability, and ultimately it's at their own peril.

badmojo wrote:

You don't need to "choose" between the lesser of two evils! You can't waste your vote!

If everybody were more conscientious voters, I think things would be a lot different.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread