VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I want to find out what files are duplicated amongst seven old backup hard drives , so is there a program that will read in all the discs, one at a time, and then list any files that are on two or more of the hard discs? I thought a simple disc catalogue program (that reads in each disc's directory listing, and then allows you to search for a file and it will tell you what discs that file is on) would also have an option to find duplicate files (preferably by name only, as well as by name + size), but from the cursory glance I've given to the first disc catalogue programs Google lists, apparently not.

Thanks for any replies.

Reply 1 of 5, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not aware of any program that can read in the disks one by one.

There are programs that can find duplicates on multiple drives, but the drives have to all be hooked up at the same time.

See here:
https://www.techspot.com/article/1648-delete- … uplicate-files/

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 5, by beastlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not sure if there's an application that does this already. The auslogic duplicate file finder looks pretty good, but not sure if it'll find dupes across multiple disks, especially when they're not mounted at the same time.

It would be pretty straightforward to put together a script to hash all the files on each disk and populate a database with the disk #, filepath, file size, and hash for each file.

Mount each disk, run the program, and then you can group by size/hash and everything having a count of greater than 1 is a dupe.

Reply 3 of 5, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How large are the drives? You can nix the offline cataloging if there's any possibility of copying their contents into one place. I used to have a Windows 3.1 program that found duplicates within a volume. Not sure if this is retro related or post-LFN / post-NTFS though.

Reply 4 of 5, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Swiss File Knife. http://stahlworks.com/dev/index.php?tool=dupfind

Although it compares by checksum (i.e. content as well), so it won't be fast.

EDIT: failed to notice that you wanted the discs to be read one at a time; no, that won't work then. Unless you use one of the other SFK functions to output hashes/sizes/timestamps, a little like beastlike's suggestion, and work from there. Or if the drives are small enough so you can image them all onto a local drive (and mount the images as drives).

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 5 of 5, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SirNickity wrote:

How large are the drives? You can nix the offline cataloging if there's any possibility of copying their contents into one place. I used to have a Windows 3.1 program that found duplicates within a volume. Not sure if this is retro related or post-LFN / post-NTFS though.

They're old (IDE old), one was 80GB, I can't remember the rest, but they won't be large, so your solution will work, thanks. I was sure there'd be pre-existing programs to do what I wanted, but apparently not (unless they're very obscure, nowadays). Anyway, thanks for the replies, everyone.