Nicht Sehr Gut

Dude.... WTF are you talking about?

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Robertmo, I have no idea what changed with you, but I just told one user not to stray off topic and then you post this?
Seriously, get your act together.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 10, by StSam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

Robertmo, I have no idea what changed with you... Seriously, get your act together.

Perhaps, it's a language barrier? Robertmo told the original thread starter that there was no need to delete user account when leaving the forum.
As an example, he mentioned the account of one of the moderators that showed no activity for over 15 years. No malice was intended.

robertmo wrote:

You know, we got a moderator that last visited here in 2003 😉
Nicht Sehr Gut

robertmo wrote:

No need to remove your account.
Re: 10th Anniversary

Memento e-Sinu filo!

Reply 8 of 10, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heh, yeah, I'm not sure I follow either. Small talk is a cultural tradition of pointless banter, and it makes up the majority of what people say to each other IRL.

TBH, I've never totally understood the cargo-cult of forum etiquette, and I'm not sure I ever will. Like necro-posting. You have an old thread with a collection of useful data in it, first hit on Google for those keywords, and someone posts a reply continuing a conversation that by its very nature, is not bound by time, and that's like a cardinal sin in most forums. Better to fragment the conversation into a new thread and have 50% the chance of finding what you're looking for via search? (And then berate newcomers for asking questions that I'm sure someone else asked a few months ago. The answer regarding that two-letter acronym you asked about has got to be in the 1.8GB of text somewhere..) OK, if you say so... 😀

Reply 9 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Hey there! Please stay on topic!!!
😉
Seriously, I can see pros and cons on necroposting, similar to what you wrote.
OT derailing of threads is something that should be prevented, though, IMO. Just like in a real conversation with a couple of people, it can be very frustrating when you asked them about their opinion on a specific kind apples. You get solid arguments about apples but suddenly one says, that he prefers pears but actually his favourite food is sushi and whether you already had sushi from this famous sushi place in Tokyo. And that Tokyo rules over all cities, except for Strassbourg, because the Ciche Lorraine is unbeatable in this fine city, but the city is on a downfall because the European parliament resides there and in Brussels. And did you ever have Brussel waffels? The best! And did you know you can see the Belgian highway at night from space because they have lamps all the way? Yes, terrible light pollution, one should do something against that...
In a real discussion you would have shut him up when sushi was mentioned. And that's what moderators should do. That may sometimes go too far and sometimes be just right. Happens

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 10 of 10, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rmay635703 wrote:

People sure get riled up over OT in an OT thread.

I think most people don't want to waste their time clicking a (potentially interesting) new thread just to see it being another shit post. Subject fields should be more informative and not this "it's the end of the world!" or "have you seen this?!" crap.