EVs in Norway

Topic actions

First post, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://insideevs.com/news/374015/car-sales-n … september-2019/
It's crazy what's happening there. Looks like the rest of the world is still riding horses 😉

Reply 1 of 14, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's very nice for Tesla (shareholders) but I'm not sure it's any more eco-friendly than burning petrol, at least in the short run.

It'd be more interesting to see what kind of innovative concepts Norway can try out to get around the whole problem of individual transportation and the immense amount of resources it consumes.

Reply 3 of 14, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The ecofriendly parties here in Norway wants you to keep your phone one more year or repair stuff to keep it, but when it comes to car they have a crusade against older ones. It's getting ridiculous for me that have a 25 year car as a hobby. For a car that doesn't drive much each year it's more eco-friendly to keep that one on the road compared to a newly built Tesla.

One of the reasons it works here in Norway is that all other cars are taxed to almost double the price compared to for instance Germany, but electric cars have no taxes on them. So people wanting to buy a new car finds it more economical to buy electric, not because they want to save the environment. I'd say Norway is taking one for the team for the rest of the world, because there is loads of problems with the infrastructure that has to be changed (going from petrol to charging). At the moment it's not finding charging stations that is the mainproblem, but having to wait in charge queues that can be hours on busy holidays since so many people have electric cars. There are multiple types of charging standards and speeds depending on brand/car. Luckily that is getting better every year both on infrastructure/service and charging time so when the rest of Europe converts it won't be as much hassle. Charging at home is also getting easier and cheaper to install, previously it used to be only people that had their own garage/place could do it, but now they have systems for both street park charging (built into lampposts/parking meter) and large shared garages.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 4 of 14, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
robertmo wrote:

taxes 😉

There's a German pun based on the fact that, in German, the word for taxes and the infinitive of "to steer [someone or something]", while etymologically unrelated, have the same spelling.

Reply 5 of 14, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My phone is Nokia 3310 and I even bought a spare battery recently just in case 😀
Like my Skoda 105 S had to be junked cause i couldn't find parts for it.

to steer auto no mouse taxis may be a pun is ment too 😉

Reply 7 of 14, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is not a chicken and an egg problem -- the charging issue doesn't have to be solved first. Electric and ICE can coexist indefinitely. For the vast... vast... majority of people, your daily routine is this: Get up, drive to work, drive home (maybe pick up some groceries on the way), go to bed, rinse and repeat. For those who have access to a garage, or at least have their own small parcel of land on which to place their vehicle(s), home charging is all you need. It doesn't even have to be fancy -- you can charge overnight on 120V 15A if you need to, but the more the merrier.

"But what if I want to drive >100 mi?" Are you a two-car household? Keep one ICE then, for those relatively infrequent times where range will be an issue. It doesn't have to be an overnight 100% migration.

"I only have one car because I'm single / we carpool / my SO commutes via public transit / etc..." Not for you, then. Keep on keeping on.

Meanwhile, easily 66% of the population could be zooming around with zero emissions, which would be one HECK of a compelling case for charging infrastructure -- not that it's as big a deal as most people think it is. Electric cars aren't like ICE cars. You don't HAVE to use a gas station, ever, so it's not a deal-breaker if there isn't one near you. Ask the Volt owners that intentionally have to switch to the ICE just to consume their fuel before it goes rancid.

Plus, if we're thinking about revamping infrastructure anyway, why not think outside the box? How about a rail system where you drive your car onto a flat bed, ride the few hundred mi / km to wherever you need to go, then drive off and return to local commuting habits? The EU has gone a long way toward making something like that possible. Why couldn't the US, for instance?

Battery electric is not a complete replacement for gasoline yet. We'll get there eventually. But it will happen, and there's no real reason to wait for most of us.

Reply 11 of 14, by antrad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If Norway wants to be "eco-friendly" how about they stop exporting oil then if it is so bad for environment ? It is easy to look fancy and modern when you have accumulated so much wealth selling your oil to others.

https://antonior-software.blogspot.com

Reply 13 of 14, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
antrad wrote on 2020-03-01, 22:54:

If Norway wants to be "eco-friendly" how about they stop exporting oil then if it is so bad for environment ? It is easy to look fancy and modern when you have accumulated so much wealth selling your oil to others.

What would happen is that Russia or Saudia-Arabia would fill that gap with no problem. Those two countries have more available extra capacity in production than what Norway puts on the marked, also the oil and gas produced in Norway is the cleanest in the world. There is no reason Norway should shoot themselves in the foot and stop their biggest income source when when no other countries would be doing the same. Oil production can only be lowered either by marked demands or by international agreements. They are doing their part by having one of the largest EV markeds in the world and its been a testmarked for charging infrastructure to iron out the teething issues.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes