VOGONS

Common searches

Last night I dreamt

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 30, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can't recall ever dreaming about computers or video games either, even though I love both.

I do have a recurring theme in some of my dreams though; I'm in a store (sometimes a hobby shop, sometimes a department store) and they have every plastic model kit that I've ever wanted. Not just real ones that I never got, but kits of all the things I wish existed, like every spaceship from every movie, every robot, every creature from a monster movie, etc. Then I wake up and I'm disappointed that it wasn't real.

Reply 22 of 30, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Rekrul wrote:

I do have a recurring theme in some of my dreams though; I'm in a store (sometimes a hobby shop, sometimes a department store) and they have every plastic model kit that I've ever wanted. Not just real ones that I never got, but kits of all the things I wish existed, like every spaceship from every movie, every robot, every creature from a monster movie, etc. Then I wake up and I'm disappointed that it wasn't real.

Sounds like you have a killer business idea.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 23 of 30, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote:
Rekrul wrote:

Sounds like you have a killer business idea.

It would be if it wasn't for copyright and licensing.

"Hey executives, you know that old TV show that you made 30 years ago and which you haven't done any merchandising with? I'd like to make some model kits based on it."

"OK, sure. Licensing fees start at $50,000 per item..."

Reply 24 of 30, by Big Pink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Rekrul wrote:

"Hey executives, you know that old TV show that you made 30 years ago and which you haven't done any merchandising with? I'd like to make some model kits based on it."

"OK, sure. Licensing fees start at $50,000 per item..."

Come back in 2084 when the copyright (maybe) expires and no-one alive remembers that show - the fees will be dirt cheap then.

Sure, the length of copyright is finite; but doesn't it really violate the spirit of the law when the culture that spawned it is unable to benefit from its entry into the public domain due to being long dead?

I thought IBM was born with the world

Reply 25 of 30, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would think that it would be a better idea for them to do some sort of royalty fee type arrangement.

MegaHobby seems to have quite a bit:
https://www.megahobby.com/categories/space-sc … -fi-models.html

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 26 of 30, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I rarely remember my dreams, period. But early this morning, I had the first retro PC dream I can ever recall:
We were visiting our next door neighbors and they had an interior designer over. She (the designer) had brought her computer to render different design options for the room they were in. The thing was, this computer was a massively oversized magenta-colored tower. This thing was made entirely of metal and based on the sheen, the magenta appeared to be powder-coated on. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that it was running either Windows 98SE or WinME (and as far as I knew, the year was 2019 in my dream), and I figured, "she must have some interior design software that won't run on newer versions of Windows." Then I looked again at the tower and realized why it was so massive...built into the case were a bunch of cubby holes and each one had a replacement spare of each hardware component in the system, all sealed in plastic bags. It seemed to be a pre-built interior design system meant to last the ages. I somehow gleaned by looking the system over that it was running a 1.4Ghz Tualatin. Unfortunately, I woke up before I could get any more info on the hardware config.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 27 of 30, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hot weather and heavy eating give me crazy dreams, and in the last few weeks I've had some real doozies, because I've both been eating a lot and staying with my parents, who run the heating at their house at max all winter.

Unfortunately I forget my dreams, even the crazy ones, within moments of waking up, however I do remember one particularly notable one: Real-life Warcraft III

Real knights on real horses with real footsoldiers and watchtowers. Everything is real.

I'm playing as a human knight with several human teammates, and we're constantly charging over the map fighting enemies.

The dream ends with me alone vs. some Orc watchtowers, which I can't get past because I didn't bring any siege.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 28 of 30, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Errius wrote on 2020-01-07, 03:04:

Unfortunately I forget my dreams, even the crazy ones, within moments of waking up, however I do remember one particularly notable one: Real-life Warcraft III

I've found that moving or even just opening my eyes upon waking up makes the memory of the dream fade faster. I have better luck remembering it if I lie completely still and keep my eyes closed. It doesn't always work though.

Reply 29 of 30, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've had a few retro-ish dreams, but the majority of them comprise of going into my father's trailer (which was torn down years and years ago) and taking all of the computers and computer parts I can find. I've had variations of this dream, but a lot of them involve the trailer being in massive disrepair (i.e. collapsing, being completely flooded with water, etc.) and taking everything regardless of how corroded or screwed up it is in the vain hope that they will work when I get them home.

Of course, I never get them home- they don't exist anymore. They were crushed under the walls and roof of the trailer and disposed of en-masse with the rest of the debris.

My father used to be a software engineer for a few companies, so computers and computer stuff was everywhere in that mess. I was just too stupid to try and save what I could find when I actually got the chance to take what I wanted out of the trailer when it was torn down. I was more concerned with idiotic things like toys and legos than my father's room which had of all sorts of old computer stuff, likely dating back to the late '90s at the least, if not earlier.

Where am I?