VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a request for 3 NEW forum categories.

1) 3D printing
2) PCB fabrication
3) Hardware repair

What do you think ?

Reply 2 of 11, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
wiretap wrote:

I think with the amount of content, that could easily just fit under one category -- "Repair & Fabrication".

Works for me.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 3 of 11, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mechanical or hardware design though? Honestly, I would love to see a section of VOGONS dedicated to development. Replacement bits and bobs, PCB design, software... the works. It's all mixed in with "help me identify this 486 board" and "does anyone have a BIOS image for ..?" stuff now, which will drown it out pretty quickly unless it's a "reply here to reserve yours" thread.

Reply 4 of 11, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What if, Vogons could partner with some PCB fabricators and 3D printing companies.
Who would be willing to monitor these forums and provide assistance.

Reply 5 of 11, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
wiretap wrote:

I think with the amount of content, that could easily just fit under one category -- "Repair & Fabrication".

I support this

Reply 6 of 11, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wouldn't this rob the General Hardware forum of a good chunk of its content? Or maybe that is the purpose?

If anything, I think Hardware Projects is the one that actually deserves a forum as these tend to get buried away and require visibility more than simple repair job threads.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 7 of 11, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Topics in the General Hardware forum tend to cycle to Page 2 within a day. That's probably a sign that it's a bit of a junk-drawer at the moment. Not everyone has the skill, motivation, or interest to create new things. Having a section where it's implied by your being there that you can and wish to participate at that level is, IMO, nothing but a good thing.

Reply 8 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Probably better off creating one under Magrathea and seeing how much it's used before creating more. Not sure if a vogons name like "Slartibartfast" or "Magratheans" or something boring like Development

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 9 of 11, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:

Probably better off creating one under Magrathea and seeing how much it's used before creating more. Not sure if a vogons name like "Slartibartfast" or "Magratheans" or something boring like Development

Totally with this.

Also re 3d printing, I don't think that's much of a topic here warranting it's own section (yet?). I own a 3d printer but I almost never see discussion regarding them here. Questions about 3d printing could possibly be lumped into the Slartifartblast (lmao) section, since it's likely we would be 3d printing cases / housing for our retro related homebrew circuits/boards.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 10 of 11, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hardware development and software development should be new forums, IMO. Repair... is kind of a big part of what's in the Gen HW forum. Unless you're talking about fabricating new parts.. in which case, maybe that's HW Dev again.

Reply 11 of 11, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote:

SlartBartFast.JPG

"My name is not important..."

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto