VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by dan86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Aside from eBay and places that only use PayPal both of witch I no longer trust, what are some good sites to sell newer computer hardware?
I have a few newer top end parts I been wanting to sell and do want to risk getting scammed on eBay or by PayPal again.

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 15, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Craigslist

Mercari - 10% flat fee. I've bought stuff but never sold on there.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 15, by dan86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

Craigslist

Mercari - 10% flat fee. I've bought stuff but never sold on there.

I'll have to look into Mercari.

EDIT:
Found this on the Mercari website.

When the buyer confirms they’ve received the item and you’ve both rated the transaction, the funds will be reflected in your balance.

That does not sound too safe for the seller. No way I'm shipping anything without getting paid first. That is how PayPal stole almost 3k from me and eBay about 400$.

Reply 3 of 15, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dan86 wrote:

Aside from eBay and places that only use PayPal both of witch I no longer trust, what are some good sites to sell newer computer hardware?
I have a few newer top end parts I been wanting to sell and do want to risk getting scammed on eBay or by PayPal again.

Thanks.

In USA paypal has seller insurance which guarantees a seller get paid no matter what.
I never had any bad luck selling on eBay.
Craigslist is good to but risky because you are dealing with cash and you don’t know who your dealing with.
Could be a scam artist. I do all my Craigs list transactions at a local starbucks or police station.
But even starbucks is full of homeless now. So flashing large amounts of cash or having expensive stuff is risky.
These person to person cash transactions alway scare me. It just isn’t safe anymore.

Reply 4 of 15, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anandtech and overclock.net marketplaces.

overclock.net has some pretty steap reputation thresholds you have to meet though to sell. You can buy without them.

In my experience the user base is primarily US and North America.

Reply 5 of 15, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I advertise on local sites and do collection only.
The buyer can see the part and pays cash. No shipping problems, returns, scams. I meet them in the local mall. It takes a little longer to sell but it's worth it.

Reply 6 of 15, by dan86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote:

In USA paypal has seller insurance which guarantees a seller get paid no matter what.

No fucking way PayPal has seller insurance which guarantees a seller get paid. They stole almost 3k from me stating my sales were too high of an risk and I been scammed on eBay left and right when selling high end computer parts.

Reply 7 of 15, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dan86 wrote:
Intel486dx33 wrote:

No fucking way PayPal has seller insurance which guarantees a seller get paid. They stole almost 3k from me stating my sales were too high of an risk and I been scammed on eBay left and right when selling high end computer parts.

Really? So you sold stuff on eBay and Paypal never gave you your money?

Something doesn't sound quite right here. Sounds to me like we are not getting the whole story.

I've been selling on eBay for a few years now and only ever had an issue with one buyer (scammer).

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 15, by dan86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:
Really? So you sold stuff on eBay and Paypal never gave you your money? […]
Show full quote
dan86 wrote:
Intel486dx33 wrote:

Really? So you sold stuff on eBay and Paypal never gave you your money?

Something doesn't sound quite right here. Sounds to me like we are not getting the whole story.

I've been selling on eBay for a few years now and only ever had an issue with one buyer (scammer).

Yes there is more to it but not much. I sold some high end PC parts. Sales went though all fine and dandy. Buyers left good feedback. I went to claim the payments, PayPal asked for more info on the sales, I gave what I had, 2 days later BAM I was banned from PayPal and they stated I would not be able to get the funds.
I had my handful of scammer buyers too. mostly people abusing the SNAD clause. I won most of those cases after filing mail fraud reports as most of the time I received something other then was I shipped to the buyers. I got a box of rocks once no lie.

Reply 9 of 15, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you from the USA or in some other country?

Sounds to me like you need to sue Paypal in small claims if they did that to you.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 10 of 15, by dan86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

Sounds to me like you need to sue Paypal in small claims if they did that to you.

I tried that. The judg tossed out the case. Paypal has a no law sute cluse in there agreement.

Reply 11 of 15, by krcroft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dan86 wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

I tried that. The judg tossed out the case. Paypal has a no law sute cluse in there agreement.

In theory Ebay acts as a trusted middle-man between the buyer and seller guaranteeing payment only when goods are confirmed received.

What happens if there's a dispute? The buyer claims the package wasn't received or the goods are partially or fully missing from the package? In a perfect world, there would have been an impartial 3rd party available to inspect the goods at the point of departure and again at the point of reception, so the factual status of the product matches exactly what the buyer is buying.

Unfortunately without that 3rd party, Ebay instead must trust either the buyer or the seller - and they lean much further toward trusting the buyer than the seller. Malicious buyers know this and can exploit buyers simply by opening a dispute, perhaps saying the product received isn't as described in the auction.

"I bought a Titan-2080 video card but the seller shipped me an old GT-560; he ripped me off". Without hard proof, eBay will have the buyer return the "incorrectly-described" product back to the seller and refund their purchase including shipping costs (if they paid).

Meanwhile, the malicious buyer just managed to swap their old video card for a new one; at the cost of a single down-vote and a scathing review from the seller. According to EBay, both sides of the transaction were protected: the buyer was refunded and the seller was returned their product.

As a seller, it's extremely important to choose highly ranked buyers without any of these disputes in their past.

Reply 12 of 15, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
krcroft wrote:

"I bought a Titan-2080 video card but the seller shipped me an old GT-560; he ripped me off".

A buyer should always record the unpacking. This isn't foolproof either but it can greatly help a (court) case. A seller once shipped me a card in a box tied with a gift wrapping ribbon and nothing else! You could see the card in the box and of course it was faulty, advertised as working.
The biggest scam that happens to sellers who want to save money is called Did Not Receive but the worst is SNAD. They buy something, start a case immediately upon receiving claiming something's wrong with it and send it back... except it's their old faulty junk they wanted to replace with my good part. They get to keep the item and get the money back too. And who pays for return shipping when the buyer claims it's not the advertised product? You guessed, the seller. I couldn't even leave a negative feedback! What kind of crazy system is that?
This is the main reason I left Ebay and started doing collection only. If the buyer has a problem he can come directly to me to solve it. Most scammers are too cowardly to pull this stunt in person.

Reply 14 of 15, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dan86 wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

Where exactly is this clause stating no legal action can be taken against paypal? I'm only aware of some nonsensical class action clause which states the suit can only be filed in their local California jurisdiction - which a federal judge ruled was BS elsewhere, and you can supposedly opt out of via mail. There is precedence for others winning cases against paypal online. I would send paypal a demand letter and from there proceed to make more noise. I have a hard time believing a judge would just throw this case out after a demand was sent to paypal which they deny for the sale of computer parts.

I feel something is missing from this tale, or you just didn't care enough about $3,000 to really pursue it?

Anyway, you can sell on hardforum and ask for other forms of payment right down to money order... However, if you don't have a heatware account with any history and share stories like this, most users are going to be afraid to send you a money order.. 🤣

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 15 of 15, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dan86 wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

No judge would toss out a case based on that -- a company can't say "we're immune to legal action against us". 🤣

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals