VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I need to identify the parts of a 386 cpu. You know this kind of architecture picture: 6328917.jpg.

but for this 80386dx picture from cpumuseum:
531px-Intel_80386_IV_die.JPG

It dont need to be too precise. My interpretation is that on the upper band there seem to be some kind of memory or lines connected to a bridge on the lower right with a bus that appear orange. On the middle band there seem to be the core of the cpu. On the lower-left this is maybe l1 cache and on the lower-right part look like some controller and io. But this is a wild guess, any advice or precision would be appreciated.

Reply 1 of 11, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

386 does not have any cache.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 2 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm speaking under correction, but I guess that the big ones might be ALU, MMU and some BUS interface stuff.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 11, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyberdyne wrote:

386 does not have any cache.

You are right, I got confused with l2 cache of the 486 that was external and l1 internal. Then why might be that big array in the lower left part...

Jo22 wrote:

I'm speaking under correction, but I guess that the big ones might be ALU, MMU and some BUS interface stuff.

Interesting guess, I compared with a m68k that has MMU and I think the upper part might be just that, it look like it anyway, Thanks I was wondering what it might be!

Searching for that I found a very interesting m68k comparison picture that make me believe the lower-left part might be some kind of rom storage.

Reply 5 of 11, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote:

the big box in the bottom left is the "control unit"?

source: https://jr.co.il/t/posters/intel-386-poster.htm

Well done imi! thanks to you another piece of the puzzle fall in place. If we accept this is the control unit then that would lead me to believe the alu and register are on the lower-right of the picture.

If nobody have other input, that would be sufficient for my project. Thank you imi, cyberdyne and jo22 ! 😀

Reply 6 of 11, by SarahWalker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ALU, registers and main data path are most likely the top third of the cpumuseum image. Bottom right might be the MMU and addressing logic?

Lower left is most likely a microcode ROM.

Reply 7 of 11, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SarahWalker wrote:

ALU, registers and main data path are most likely the top third of the cpumuseum image. Bottom right might be the MMU and addressing logic?

Lower left is most likely a microcode ROM.

Microcode, and the remain of what you advance, is more on par with what I've compared so far. It is why I accept what you say as to be the right information. Thank you very much SarahWalker 😊

Reply 8 of 11, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm so glad all you four helped get something straight for that project that I feel obligated to share the final result. My sister is an illustrator and offered me to do a painting for xmas. So we discussed about that idea to have a 386 cpu die for comic layout, but I found it was harder than I though to place concept over cpu parts. It's giclée on wood that she painted over, I hope you will have as much fun as I do watching it. http://junkskool.net/images/illustrations/Coo … urpeste_cpu.jpg

Reply 9 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Lovely art work - Congratulations on a job welll done! And thanks for sharing, too! 😄

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 11 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's helpful for sure! Thank you very much! 😃

By the way, the chart also mentions the virtual address space of 64TB.
- Which is true for virtual memory with the help of both the paging unit and the segmentation unit.

Makes me wish that Windows 3.x in Standard-Mode had gotten virtual memory support, too.
Because, the Standard-Mode kernal still used a segmented memory model, but with the addition of pointers.
Imagine: Windows 3.x being able to use 64TB! Or 1GB on an 286 system, at least! 😁

Edit: Excuse my terminology. Things are properly described here: https://www.deinmeister.de/x86modfd.htm

//My video channel//