VOGONS

Common searches

New forum suggestions/Feedback

Topic actions

Reply 501 of 516, by 3lectr1c

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I sometimes get an error on posting (usually when it's my first time posting since a site visit? But it's inconsistent even then, it only happens sometimes). I'll click submit and the page will refresh to a solid white screen. My post actually does go through, but when I press back my message will still be saved in the quick reply box.
May be a FireFox only issue too, I don't use Chrome.

I probably have too many old laptops.

Reply 502 of 516, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
3lectr1c wrote on 2023-11-15, 15:15:

I sometimes get an error on posting (usually when it's my first time posting since a site visit? But it's inconsistent even then, it only happens sometimes). I'll click submit and the page will refresh to a solid white screen. My post actually does go through, but when I press back my message will still be saved in the quick reply box.
May be a FireFox only issue too, I don't use Chrome.

I have the same/similar thing on chrome/firefox.
I post something and get an error, or a blank screen. if i refresh the blank page it will result in a double post.
if i just go back 2 pages (from the error or blank screen) and then refreshthe page, my post appears and no double post happens.

Every time i see double posts in the forum i exactly know what happened (posted , blank screen, hit refresh) 😁

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 505 of 516, by 3lectr1c

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Based on other phpbb forums I'm on, this feels exactly like it, just with some very heavy custom styling applied. I've seen forums using Invision, XenForo, SMF, and a couple others, and none of them match up to the feature-set here better than phpbb does. And they definitely did use phpbb back on the older forum styling from before the switchover.

I probably have too many old laptops.

Reply 506 of 516, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
3lectr1c wrote on 2023-11-16, 14:08:

Based on other phpbb forums I'm on, this feels exactly like it, just with some very heavy custom styling applied. I've seen forums using Invision, XenForo, SMF, and a couple others, and none of them match up to the feature-set here better than phpbb does. And they definitely did use phpbb back on the older forum styling from before the switchover.

it is using phpbb,
i checked the source for the page...

"aria-labelledby="phpbb_alert_label""

iami

Reply 507 of 516, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Getting logged out all the time! I seem to be forced to re-logon to vogons every few days, more than any other website. Can we review the cookie settings that are being used to ensure they allow persistent login state?

Reply 509 of 516, by Robbbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2023-12-30, 19:48:

Getting logged out all the time! I seem to be forced to re-logon to vogons every few days, more than any other website. Can we review the cookie settings that are being used to ensure they allow persistent login state?

I've never had to log in again ever since I joined. You might be inadvertently deleting a required cookie.

Reply 510 of 516, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why does my account say I'm banned?

banned_poor_me.jpg
Filename
banned_poor_me.jpg
File size
107.67 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 511 of 516, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

That‘s odd

Edit: Snover fixed it

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 513 of 516, by Exploit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Suggestion for a new forum section:
How about a section specifically for retro programming in general?

By retro I mean DOS, possibly also Windows 3.x and Win9x.
There you could then discuss things like algorithms and techniques that were important back then. Or programming close to the hardware. etc.

rain wrote on 2024-01-24, 11:29:

Vogons needs Freedos section i think.

I like that idea and agree.

Reply 514 of 516, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Exploit wrote on 2024-03-24, 22:30:
Suggestion for a new forum section: How about a section specifically for retro programming in general? […]
Show full quote

Suggestion for a new forum section:
How about a section specifically for retro programming in general?

By retro I mean DOS, possibly also Windows 3.x and Win9x.
There you could then discuss things like algorithms and techniques that were important back then. Or programming close to the hardware. etc.

i like that idea and i think its been asked before

there isn't an obvious place to house programming questions and so you can see quite a few programming oriented threads appear then recede in the forums over time. It could be argued that this shows either a) there's enough of places for them already or b) their relative spread / rarity means no dedicated forum is needed and c) their relative spread / rarity is a consequence of there not being a dedicated forum

in terms of topic though i guess retro / vintage will encompass programming on old platforms with old tools but could extend to relatively modern ones too and also using modern tools to build retro related software

Reply 515 of 516, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The last time it came up I asked for examples of current threads and even provided some I found myself that would sort of fit that mold but were project related but they just wanted it to contain strictly a sub section of programming related questions. Ex: Which cross programming tool for dos and windows? I am getting x error in my code, what does it mean?

The reason I brought up projects was to justify creating another forum or forums to kind of get the community into shape here but there was no interest, people are just too self involved.

To justify a new forum or forums there needs to be traffic for it, otherwise it'll be yet another forum without much traffic or yet another we will have to move posts too due to user laziness.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 516 of 516, by Exploit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2024-03-26, 16:05:

To justify a new forum or forums there needs to be traffic for it, otherwise it'll be yet another forum without much traffic or yet another we will have to move posts too due to user laziness.

A new forum section for programming would help bring together all the programming topics or topics about algorithms that are currently scattered throughout the forum into one place. This would also help more people find these individual topics and increase the momentum that people get involved if these topics were all in one place.

You could also move some existing, current programming related topics to this new forum, then it would already be filled with a few topics. I think it would be worth a try.