VOGONS

Common searches

Windows Longhorn screenshots

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nearly missed this:
http://www.tech-critic.com/modules.php?name=N … order=0&thold=0

😀

Beta-testing, Vlad (or anyone else)? Everything I've read about seems that it's a Win98->Win98SE style update, not a Windows 2000->Windows XP one. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 4 of 32, by Kyl3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh no. I've seen blackcomb (erm no not a beta) on Cebit. It's concept is bad. They we're planning on distributing software (like ms office) through the internet. So ms can bill us per usage of thei're software.

Blackcomb was to make all of this possible.

(Hmm maybe this is a good thing, or maybe they changed their mind. It was like a year ago)

Reply 5 of 32, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

meh... I fail to see what the big deal is there, it's not like you own the software in the first place.

I actually considered taking MS up on their Office subscription offer at one point (before I read they'd cancelled it due to numbnuts not realising it was an ongoing thing). The way I saw it you paid something like a quarter to a third of the full retail cost and got free upgrades, including new versions if they became available, for a year. Given that MS release a new version of Office ever 2-3 years in the long term it works out a little bit cheaper to subscribe than to simply buy a licence outright. Of course, you're probably forced to upgrade to the latest and greatest whenever it became available but I don't have a problem with that.

Wasurenaide...
...watashi ga iru koto o.
Itsudatte soba ni iru yo.

Gentoo. Because everything else is just shit. 😁
Registered Linux user #319839

Reply 8 of 32, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Snover wrote:

What more can they do to reduce productivity?

Make Windows Classic the boot-up default GUI again? 😉

Wasurenaide...

Reply 9 of 32, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Snover wrote:

Great. A 3D GUI. What more can they do to reduce productivity? Make it like the mainframe in Hacker?

I was thinking more like the [edit by Snover: ...] oldskool flightsim frontend in Jurassic Park:
http://www.sgi.com/fun/freeware/3d_navigator.html
http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~lloyd/tildeImages/Film/JPark/
http://cg.cs.tu-berlin.de/~kai/tablet/fsndt.html

😁

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 10 of 32, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

*cough,ahhem,Stiletto...*

Dude, Windows Classic interface is the cleanest, most productive GUI you can have. Big buttons = less functionality. Unless you need big buttons, which you can actually change the size of in the Classic GUI. Besides, the bold colours that XP uses are UUUGLY.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 11 of 32, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Snover wrote:

*cough,ahhem,Stiletto...*

Dude, Windows Classic interface is the cleanest, most productive GUI you can have. Big buttons = less functionality. Unless you need big buttons, which you can actually change the size of in the Classic GUI. Besides, the bold colours that XP uses are UUUGLY.

Funny thing is, Windows 3.1 had big, chunky buttons and I saw no one complaining about them...

I've been using XP for a year, all with the new GUI and it hasn't been any more of an impediment to my productivity than the old one was, a little less in fact now that MS have actually done something remotely useful with the panes in the folder windows (I just wish I knew how to add my own custom stuff in there to make copying MP3s from my KaZaA shared folder to my main MP3 folder as easy as copying files from My Documents to my ISPs web space).

I find the dull greys and 16 bit icons that Classic used (which didn't even cover the whole desktop, even in 2000 the system tray was limited to 16 colours without 3rd party tools and icons in there looked butt ugly) to be far uglier than anything in XP.

Wasurenaide...

Reply 12 of 32, by Kyl3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Very true,

Ever gazed at apples macOS X. That's where microsofts "Human Computer Interface" research department is at. If they'll stick to it windows should become more productive.

I'd like transparent windows wen placed to background and multiple (customizable) (start) menu's.

(I'm exagerating a bit btw)

Reply 13 of 32, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh, I know that Luna is a cheap ripoff of Aqua and doesn't quite come up to the latters standard, in either appearance or functionality but its still light years ahead (in both categories) of previous Windows GUIs. Trouble is, a lot of people aren't giving it enough of a chance to see that.

I know how people like Snover think in this situation because when all I knew about Luna was what I saw in screenshots I had all the same reservations but there was one important difference between me and them: I was determined to give Luna a chance and if I didn't like it, I knew the off-switch was only a few mouse clicks away.

That was a year ago. Today, I'm sitting here, still using Luna and still using the default style (albeit with the 'Silver' theme, arguably the best of the three you're given) simply because after giving myself some time to get into the groove (something you have to do with just about every OS, not just XP) all my fears were quickly laid to rest.

Wasurenaide...

Reply 14 of 32, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well believe it or not the default theme's in XP for "business" use and for my home use actually hinder productivity and I've been using XP since it entered beta. Yes, hard to believe isn't it? Someone who's actually used it and hates it. Wow.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 15 of 32, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That takes the total I've come across to a staggering: 1

I'm hardly a business user either and it doesn't bother me. I think you're talking shit.

Wasurenaide...

Reply 16 of 32, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Enough already. We each have our own reasons for our own preferences. There are things I like and things I don't like about the various OS's out there, but they are Operating Systems, they're not my kids...and there's no reason for me to act like they are.

If we're going to discuss them, lets try to do it without sticking each other in the eye in the process.

I like XP for various reasons. It's has the stability and features of the NT OS, it has the "creature comforts" of the Win9x OS. My biggest reason for getting it though, was a package of hardware and software that worth about $170-250 that was free after rebate with the purchase of XP Home.

Reply 17 of 32, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

See, everything I've come to like about XP came later, I only upgraded because I didn't have the patience to wait for people like DosFreak to come up with a stable 2000 solution to the problems I was having with Final Fantasy VII and with XP looking like it provided the solution (which it did, at least at Microsofts end) I took the plunge almost immediately I got hold of a copy. I paid exactly the same price for both (dick all 😁) and now, a touch over a year later, at that price, I'd rather have XP, not just for FFVII but for all the other things I've discovered along the way.

Wasurenaide...

Reply 18 of 32, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ePSXe has been around for longer than XP. The ported FF7 sucks, too. Dunno why you didn't hunt for a PSX emulator, but whatever.
The default colours that Windows 9x/NT/2K aren't great, but with a minimal of tweaking it looks pretty good. I changed the default 'grey' colour to 192,192,192, which is much better than the dull 5200ºK crap they used by default.

Yes, it’s my fault.