VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ifrit05

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

https://youtu.be/BGrKKrsIpQw

P3B-F v1.03 | VIA C3 Nehemiah 1GHz @ 1.33GHz| 4x128 PC133 | GeForce4 Ti 4200 | OPL3-SA3+DreamBlaster X2GS

Reply 1 of 24, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think we now have an even bigger problem. The Y2K38 bug. Some 32 bit software will not go past 19 Jan 2038, instead they will roll back to some date in december 1901. Hilarious.

Windows 3.1, by other hand, even with the Y2K fix for winfile, will be safe. At least until 2099. Windows 3.1 cannot go past 2099 for some reason - but thats OK, we all will be dead way before 2099. Yay.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 2 of 24, by ifrit05

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bfcastello wrote on 2020-01-01, 08:34:

I think we now have an even bigger problem. The Y2K38 bug. Some 32 bit software will not go past 19 Jan 2038, instead they will roll back to some date in december 1901. Hilarious.

The Y2K38 bug will roll back to Jan 1st, 1970 if your talking about UNIX based systems (the UNIX epoch).

bfcastello wrote on 2020-01-01, 08:34:

[...]Windows 3.1 cannot go past 2099 for some reason - but thats OK, we all will be dead way before 2099. Yay.

Oh god I'm thinking about my mortality again, yay.

P3B-F v1.03 | VIA C3 Nehemiah 1GHz @ 1.33GHz| 4x128 PC133 | GeForce4 Ti 4200 | OPL3-SA3+DreamBlaster X2GS

Reply 3 of 24, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Technically... the new decade starts 2021, but yeah, no one cares about that 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 24, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Dominus, only if you use Julian calendar's counting, which we don't anymore.
ISO8601 has a year 0 (Julian doesn't) and is just shifted one year back so the number would match with Julian year count.
But by ISO8601, which we use in current age really, acts like the classic number theory tells. (Because it counts from 0)

So with 2020 we started a new decade. 😀

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 5 of 24, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I think you mean Gregorian, and well, it started with year 1.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 24, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is an interesting question, actually. All purely arbitrary of course, like any numbering system, but as far as I could see, ISO-8601 (which was enacted to standardize the date representation) did not seemingly standardize the counting of time periods. Basically everyone does what they want. Officially, centuries start on year XX01, and end with December 31st of year XX00, but then people are free to use terms like "The 1900s" which may me interpreted as 1900-1999. I guess the same can be said about decades.

I used to be rather militant about "the correct counting", which is the one Dominus mentioned, but then realized it doesn't really matter, and that there is no truth, just convention.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 7 of 24, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yes, definitely nothing to get all tangled up on 😉
Personally I don't even care. First time I realized that there is a difference was around the new millennium when people reported that it actually starts a year later.

Reply 8 of 24, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dreamer_ wrote on 2020-01-01, 14:24:

Only institutions, who are resisting the change will be vulnerable (e.g those 1-2 banks who still use OS/2 despite IBM urging everyone to switch to Linux).

Not even that, because OS/2 still gets updates. There is the ArcaOS project:

https://www.arcanoae.com/

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 10 of 24, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote on 2020-01-01, 09:49:

No. Gregorian calendar defines weeks, days in leap years, etc as "new things". Gregorian calendar reuses/incorporates Julan calendar's year counting. 😉

Yet today, we use ISO8601, that is another improvement on top of Gregorian calendar (though, yes, with emphasis on formating) just like Gregorian calendar was an improvement on top of Julian calendar. And we today use the ISO8601 that has a year 0 between years 1 and -1. (Julian doesn't)

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 11 of 24, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dominus wrote on 2020-01-01, 09:20:

The first year is year 0. Year 1 is the second year. It is a bit like people think that if I say the 18'th century, then I am talking about 1800 to 1899. Wich I am not. What they are thinking about, is the 1800's and not the 18'th century. Normally I just ask them about what years, the first century is located, and mostly people understand what confuses them.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 12 of 24, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On topic...
Remembering the Y2K? Sure, if I can choose to not remember all those undfounded fears that were spreading back then, like a wild forest fire.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 13 of 24, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
brostenen wrote on 2020-01-01, 17:31:
Dominus wrote on 2020-01-01, 09:20:

The first year is year 0. Year 1 is the second year. It is a bit like people think that if I say the 18'th century, then I am talking about 1800 to 1899. Wich I am not. What they are thinking about, is the 1800's and not the 18'th century. Normally I just ask them about what years, the first century is located, and mostly people understand what confuses them.

You would think the first year was 0 but it wasn't. Nowadays we still use the Gregorian Calendar for civil matters, while the ISO 8601 standard is used for is an international standard covering the exchange of date- and time-related data.
The Gregorian calendar is an improved version of the Julian Calendar.

When they created the Gregorian Calendar back then it started with 1.1.1 not 1.1.0. So the first decade ended "technically" (excuse me for using technically when I write above that the ISO is used for technical stuff, but you understand what I mean, right?) on the 31.12.10.
But of course when we do talk about it we mean it different, so practically it is correct to say that the decade ended yesterday.

Reply 14 of 24, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
GigAHerZ wrote on 2020-01-01, 16:11:

Yet today, we use ISO8601, that is another improvement on top of Gregorian calendar (though, yes, with emphasis on formating) just like Gregorian calendar was an improvement on top of Julian calendar. And we today use the ISO8601 that has a year 0 between years 1 and -1. (Julian doesn't)

The iso is used as a technical standard not in the civil use. And the Gregorian calendar starts at 01.01.01.

Reply 15 of 24, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote on 2020-01-01, 18:17:
GigAHerZ wrote on 2020-01-01, 16:11:

The iso is used as a technical standard not in the civil use. And the Gregorian calendar starts at 01.01.01.

Well, japanese use iso standard every day (especially format-wise) and americans just mix up the components randomly. 😁

But yes, like i said in the quote already, Julian counting (and therefore Georgian calendar as well) started with 1 and ISO also includes year 0.

I think we both already agree on everything anyways. 😁

Though, i would always lean to ISO standard even in everyday use... maybe because as software developer, i have very warm relationship with it.
There's a joke about it:
"Describe a perfect date for me"
Developer: "ISO8601"

Reply 16 of 24, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Personally, I don't care what some church bureaucrats decided about when their prophet lived and died hundreds of years after the fact & got wrong because the number '0' hadn't been imported from Sanskrit yet. (NOTE: GROSS OVERSIMPLIFICATION. I DID NOT DESCRIBE THIS SEQUENCE OF EVENTS REMOTELY ACCURATELY.) I recon decades, centuries, & millennia start when the number you write in the appropriate column changes. So, happy new decade everybody!

leileilol wrote on 2020-01-01, 15:23:

If you're excited about Y2K tributes, WWE2K20 has a fatal Y2K20 bug to kick off the new year 😀

That is honestly pretty hilarious. I'm at a loss to imagine how fuckups like this can even happen. Did they use a one digit year somewhere in the code? The whole game looks like a real piece of work.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 18 of 24, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can’t believe someone still use Os/2 daily!

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 19 of 24, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xjas wrote on 2020-01-01, 20:29:

Personally, I don't care what some church bureaucrats decided about when their prophet lived and died hundreds of years after the fact & got wrong because the number '0' hadn't been imported from Sanskrit yet.

It's not about bureaucrats; it's merely a question of ordinal vs cardinal numbering.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys