VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 24, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jmarsh wrote on 2020-01-02, 02:42:

Were they the same guys who decided the first hour of each day would use the biggest number (12)?

Thank god that the better part of the world uses 24h system, that starts with 00:00:00 and ends with 23:59:59.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 21 of 24, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Ok, I love this one 😀
https://xkcd.com/2249/

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 22 of 24, by etomcat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
xjas wrote on 2020-01-01, 20:29:

Personally, I don't care what some church bureaucrats decided about when their prophet lived and died hundreds of years after the fact

Consider then the situation of e.g. muslims. Their calendar is currently in 1442 and their year starts around August. Since most electronics can't accept less than 1901 or 1970 for year, they have to use the western year, but set the month and day according to muslim calendar. This "hybridization" caused some confusion when Iran hacked and crash-landed the CIA's RQ-170 stealth drone and published photos of it made with a Canon DLSR: since the date field was set mixed, world press initially believed the affair to be fake. The japanese and jewish people also have problems maintaining use of their traditional calendars vs the western calendar pushed by widespread digitization.

Less seriously, here is a pic of a small add-on card which promised to fix the dreaded "Y2K bug" through PC BIOS manipulation. I wonder how much of that was snake oil?

Attachments

Reply 24 of 24, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xjas wrote on 2020-01-01, 20:29:

Personally, I don't care what some church bureaucrats decided about when their prophet lived and died hundreds of years after the fact & got wrong because the number '0' hadn't been imported from Sanskrit yet.

That reminds me of a fascinating science-fiction story that I once read.
In this story, a little crew does set out to explore the stars with humanity's first near light-speed drive. Inofficially, kind of (it was just intended as a test).
Due to time dilation, when they come back to earth much much later, they are greeted via radio by an automatic space port.
In order to not get shot, etc, they report back their time of departure in old Christan time, but also in "time after Gagarin".
I find that idea very interesting and reasonable. Makes me wonder why this wasn't adopted in reality.
Oh, and they also find a cinema at the port that showed human evolution.
How humans reached so-called "perfection" and became robots. 😉
Anyway, in the end, they meet the survivors of another, much later earth ship and became friends with them, while the remainings of the robots rust away in the jungles.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//