Reply 100 of 109, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerry wrote on 2021-01-18, 09:25:
Namrok wrote on 2021-01-07, 16:05:
appiah4 wrote on 2021-01-07, 14:30:

Quake 2 did get a ray tracing patch that completely overhauls lighting and makes it look like a new game.

Steam Store Page: https://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/1089130/#

Quake 2 RTX is legit fantastic, if you have the hardware to run it. Crucially, none of the gameplay is changed.

i watched some gameplay, it looks great. I suppose its a good way to play old games on modern hardware while enjoying new features. I wonder however, once 10 mins in to the game and getting into the zone etc, whether the changes actually make the experience different significantly. imagine playing this version while another you plays the original all the way through, would there be any real difference in the enjoyment etc?

I still like it though

I actually bounced back and forth a bit between Quake 2 RTX on my modern machine, and Quake 2 on a 1999 era build. I ended up being marginally more committed to the RTX implementation, but still got distracted away some time into the Reactor hub. So maybe 2/3 of my way through the game?

I think depending on who you ask, Quake 2 RTX's biggest strength, or perhaps it's greatest weakness, is that it plays 100% identically to the original. It's just a really phenomenal new coat of paint over an old game. I think maybe 3 times across 5 or 6 hours of game time I saw a monster in a reflective surface and reacted to that instead of getting shot in the back. It's a nice flourish, but nothing I would say fundamentally changes the game.

Although I will say, RTX gives Quake 2 back a lot of it's wow factor that the 1997 original had. I remember finally getting an OpenGL driver for my Riva128 card, and marveling at the colored lighting and actual alpha blended transparency instead of dithering. Now I marvel at the path traced global illumination system, high quality reflections, and once again, amazing transparency effects with water and shaped windows. In a weird way, that more closely recreates the experience I had in 1997 than playing it exactly as it was.

On the bright side, it's free, so you can't claim you didn't get your money's worth.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 101 of 109, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Timeshift, released in 2007. It's a first person shooter that should have been great, as it has a fantastic base to build upon; it's a first person shooter where you can also control time, and whilst the game has some rather low points, it also has some very good things too. Sadly, most reviews focused on the bad, so it sold poorly, and we never received a sequel, even though a sequel could have been amazing if it built upon the good in this game.

In Timeshift, you can pause time, slow down town, and reverse time. When you reverse time, you actually reverse everything but yourself, so that anyone killed in the few moments that you rewind will come back to life, explosions reverse (they un-explode back into grenades), buildings/structures etc get undamaged, etc. When you pause the game, everything but you pauses, so people, bullets, water, even rain pauses. And if you shoot anyone when time is paused, then when time un-pauses then that person(s) reacts to the bullets, and suddenly gets shot and files back.

The time control effects are extremely well done. Unfortunately, other parts of the game vary in their quality. The weapons are great, though unfortunately you can only carry three of them at a time (though you choose which to carry, of course). Ammunition is plentiful, so you don't have to keep changing the weapons for ones you don't want, as you often have to do in Halo, for example. The graphics are great, and do a good job of portraying a parallel timeline, with buildings looking like a familiar but different Germany in the 1940s.

Here's the game's trailer. Its not great, and the city doesn't look as not-quite-real-history as in the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LODC7tt2HFE

The story though, is a real mess. The game went through at least two major rewrites, and I can't remember a first person shooter that tells it's story worse than Timeshift. The game tells it's story via very short cutscenes, which can be less than five seconds long and often offer no context for what you are seeing.

I have played through the game maybe a dozen times (it's my favourite 'bad' game, and

I *think* the story is this; that a government science department were creating a military war suit for soldiers, which is a suit or costume complete with helmet, that generates a shield to protect the wearer from bullets and explosions, has an intelligent computer built in to analyse, monitor and display real and predicted threats, and that can control and even travel through time. Dr Krone (who might be the boss of the department) kills some scientists, steals the finished time suit, sets up a bomb to destroy the building, then time jumps back to before world war 2. Moments later you, learning what the boss has done, climb into the beta suit (which might be better than the boss's suit, or worse, that's just one of the things the game doesn't tell you, just that your suit is the 'beta suit') and time jump after him, narrowly escaping the bomb's explosion, which destroys the building and kills everyone in it.

You appear in the past at an uncertain location and date, and find out that Dr Krone arrived sometime before you, and has somehow turned wherever you are (and maybe the rest of the world?) into a dictatorship, where dissenters are hunted down and killed. Your suit malfunctions, but quickly regains all of it's abilities except it can no longer travel through time. It can still control time though, so at any time you can slow, pause, or rewind time.

The resistance fighters conveniently find you, and without even questioning you, or asking to see what your face looks like behind your suit's helmet, they all trust you, and allow you to go on missions with them. They never seem to think "Well, we're fighting an enemy who seem to have better technology than us, and now here's is someone wearing better technology than we've seen, so maybe, just maybe, we shouldn't just blindly assume he's on our side?".
The writing is another of the game's very low spots, in case you didn't get it...

The game is at times fantastic, but at others it suffers from boring level design, bad enemy placements, puzzles that require almost no thought and are so obviously designed to be solved by you just happening to be able to control time that it just feels so contrived. But when the game is good it is so enjoyable.

Here's a review, for anyone who might want to try it out. The game is on PC, XBox 360, and PS3. It was originally intended for the original XBox, but held back by it's very troubled development, and I keep hoping that a working version of the original XBox version would turn up, but nothing so far...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LODC7tt2HFE

Anyway, I'm not personally a fan of remasters, as I keep all of my consoles and all of my favourite PC games are backwards compatible, but I would *love* to see Timeshift re-released, but with it's flaws fixed. I know remasters usually just update the graphics, and in that case I wouldn't be too interested in a Timeshift remaster, but if they fixed Timeshift's flaws (and even better, if they added an upgrade system for the suit, to increase the length of time you can use it's time controls, your shield strength, the ammunition you can carry, etc) then I would be really happy.

It will never happen, of course. But I thought I'd mention it in this thread.

Reply 103 of 109, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was going to say 4D Sports Boxing because I haven't found a boxing game since with such compelling game-play, but then it occurred to me that the graphics and sound are awesome too so there's actually nothing to improve in a modern version 👍

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 104 of 109, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rmay635703 wrote on 2021-01-27, 01:25:

I rather see games demastered to CGA

Please not that! But i really like those "8/16bit" 16color demakes and retro feel games. especially the platformers and shootemups, evev 16bit Doom-Boom. Something simple, for quick gaming. That´s why I will never get into Planet X3, too much of a learning curve.

But there are DOOM WADS EGADOOM and even CGADOOM that will limit the pallette, and the 16 color version hast the same Catacomb 3D/Boom feel.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 105 of 109, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote on 2021-01-27, 02:29:

I was going to say 4D Sports Boxing because I haven't found a boxing game since with such compelling game-play, but then it occurred to me that the graphics and sound are awesome too so there's actually nothing to improve in a modern version 👍

F...!! I forgot that game!! Thanks, another game to my download list 😆

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 107 of 109, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why would we want Interstate 76 game graphics updated? They are good as they are. Personal taste btw.

Some games wouldn’t even get a remaster because we now live in a world where they have to be “politically correct”. Duke Nukem is a perfect example, and I love this game.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 108 of 109, by GokuSS4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

C&C Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
Midtown Madness 2 with all its bugs(Features?) 😀

Win10 Ryzen 7 5800X | TUF B450M-Pro | 32GB DDR4-3800 CL16 | RX 6800 XT
WinXP Core i3-3220 | H77 Pro4-M | 8GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | X1950 Pro
Win98SE Pentium E5800 | 775i65G R3.0 | 512MB DDR1-400 CL2 | X850 XT

Reply 109 of 109, by Carrera

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

'76 car graphics are ok to good... it's the rest that is a bit too samey and junky/clunky... the smoke trails of the missiles are 2D pretty much for example... imagine the bumpers actually having reflecting chrome!!!