VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Parni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

I've been lately thinking that will all the drivers/softwares/games/manuals etc. for 90's hardware be available after 25-50 or even 100 years from now? Many of us have probably have some cool hardware stored but what if you want to setup those when you are for instance retired. What do you think folks, will all this stuff still be available from the web? Should some kind of ultimate Vault be put in place to store the heritage of the 90's? 😀

Please give your thought about this.

(Oh, if someone wonders why i'm just worried about 90's stuff, well that was the golden ages and the peak of humanity) 😁

Reply 1 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, I don't know for sure. Maybe archive.org will still be there. Maybe CDs and pen drives and future media will survive in time capsules.
Or as bookware inside of books that are stored in libraries. Maybe stuff gets archived on micro films, too.
You know, about every nation saves documents somehow under ground just in case.. 😀

(I don't think that's too far fetched, considering that we've got 35 years old 5,25" floppies at home that we can still read.
In addition, some films from the 1920s are preserved and restored by society, too.)

Anyway, we surely will be able to restore and replicate the stuff we love. As long as people care about things, they will be around.
That being said, it shouldn't hurt to backup up some stuff just in case.. The more people keep ju... precious antiques from the 90s, the better. 😀

Edit: Not sure if that answers your questions, but.. Yes, I also sometimes preserve old drivers, the content of ROM chips, schematics and so on if I get the chance.
I also request archive.org from time to time to save interesting pages that I discover when browsing the web. 😀
You know, such oddball sites from the late 90s and early 2000s, that may or may not contain homebrew software (DOS, Win95 and even Linux -eww-) that doesn't exist anywhere else.
Or which contain little poems, wisdom of life and stories written and forgotten by the individual who wrote them once in the days of early web.

Parni wrote on 2020-03-14, 15:15:

(Oh, if someone wonders why i'm just worried about 90's stuff, well that was the golden ages and the peak of humanity) 😁

Hey, I though that was the 70s.. 74 series TTL chips, Zilog 80, CP/M, Space 1999 (series), Silent Running (film), Voyager 1+2, all that philosophy stuff (mind over matter, peace, movements to save nature etc). 😉

Edit: How rude of me! Just noticed that this is your first post!
Welcome to Vogons, my friend! I hope you have a good time here. 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 6, by Parni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for answering! 😁 yes this was my first post ever, I have been digging some info from hear for years but never registered, don't really now why.

Yeah but I mean for now there are some good archives but already now there are some times great difficulties to find what you need. I'm arguing that the reason for such good archives these days are that people born in 70-80s just love to live their childhood once again and therefore keeps these archives alive. However the next generations probably won't have any filings towards 90's stuff and slowly but surely all the 90's gifts to the humanity will disappear.
I've started also to store various kind of stuff that I might need in the future when I'm old but I feel this is not enough, for instance there are so much of cool old hardware out there and most likely they will somehow survive, but i'm worried about the softwares, if you haven't got those the hardware is obsolete.

Maybe i'll just start to donate to archive.org every month and cross my fingers and hope for the best 😁

Reply 3 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

vogonsdrivers.com

You can also create an archive.org account and upload stuff yourself.

If you want a supposed to last for 1,000 years backup, you can always get a burner that can burn M-Discs and some M-Discs.

My guess is that eventually all the old hardware will be pretty much gone and really not needed once emulation gets better and eventually pretty perfect.

CRTs will no longer be around but that probably won't really matter either.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 6, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Parni wrote on 2020-03-14, 15:15:

Many of us have probably have some cool hardware stored but what if you want to setup those when you are for instance retired.

Good question, but I think in 50-100 years we have some sort of magnetic plug (or contact surface) for all the electric devices and you can't even use anything with a proper AC plug. Yes, some sort of adapter is bound to be available, but how many people are interested in using a typewriter from the 1920's these days? As many people will be interested in a 90's computer in 2090, so it's mostly museums.

Reply 5 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You cant trust companies to keep drivers indefinitely anymore, It's annoying but more and more companies are purging their old products
likewise, no guarantees that archive.org or wherever won't suddenly go offline, It's unlikely but other sites that were taken for granted have disappeared over time.
So If you own some hardware grab the drivers and keep locally that way you know for sure you have them. and if not already upload them to archive.org, vogons drivers and wherever else. more copies on the net basically means more backups

Reply 6 of 6, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Personally, I archive all my floppies and CDs to my home NAS which I backup locally and to the cloud. I also archive some of the things I've downloaded which I consider important or which I expect to need in the future. Obviously I can't predict everything, that's why I love archive.org and Vogonsdrivers, to which I contribute on-demand.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices