VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another one of these dos games I've never played and won't be anytime soon judging from the prices shown on ebay. Wonder why
GOG hasn't picked it up yet? Is it hard to get going on a "proper system"? Seems like it would be a prime candidate for a mod too.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 2 of 11, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks liqmat, what emu do you recommend? This is something I've been wanting to tinker with again. Tried it 3-4 years ago running
a NCAA football title but couldn't get the gamepad to sync up right.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 3 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
buckeye wrote on 2020-03-25, 16:23:

Wonder why GOG hasn't picked it up yet?

Normally I'd say that a game based on a licensed property almost certainly can't be brought back without someone fighting through deep layers of contractual red tape.

But then, we did manage to get the Blade Runner game, and the rights to Acclaim's old properties were all sold off a long time ago to parties that might conceivably be interested in reviving them.

Reply 5 of 11, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I noticed from people streaming the PC version that it's yet another one of those games that refuses to time itself properly so you have to juggle with DosBOX's cycles value almost constantly to prevent the game from speeding up into oblivion at some spots, and from slowing down to a crawl in some spots as well.

You probably should stick with the PlayStation version for that reason.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 7 of 11, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Decided to pursue using the ps1 version (plentiful on ebay) but need to do some research on what flavor of emulator to use.

On a side note pounced on the Sega's 2010 AvP pc to try on my "mighty" i3 sys.

Reply 9 of 11, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
buckeye wrote on 2020-03-25, 16:23:

Another one of these dos games I've never played and won't be anytime soon judging from the prices shown on ebay. Wonder why
GOG hasn't picked it up yet? Is it hard to get going on a "proper system"? Seems like it would be a prime candidate for a mod too.

Don't know what happened to its price ‐ this game used to be dirt cheap for PC.

It's a speed sensitive DOS game that also displays high colour with specific graphics cards. Spooky game that is compatible with the Spaceorb 360 controller and controls great. The Spaceorb controller has a high CPU overhead, so the games speed sensitivity requires more flexibility from your CPU speed range.

Reply 10 of 11, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some 10 years ago, or even more, I played through the DOS version (using DOSBox v0.63 or something) and covered about three quarters of the game. There are three episodes that are roughly based on the movies: first, the colony like in Aliens, then the prison from the third film, and finally, the Precursor ship.

It was not super enjoyable, and performance was not always optimal (but I guess it is better with the current DOSBox builds), but playable enough. The game certainly looks better in 16-bit colour, but it is more resource demanding than the 8-bit mode. The levels are varied enough, for the most part, but with the alien ship I got bored, not in the least because of the repetitive corridors that you have to navigate. However, the story and level progression don't make much sense from the in-universe standpoint, and in this respect Alien Trilogy is not even remotely a good Alien franchise game. What I did enjoy though was this FAQ -- back then I liked reading FAQs about games that I played.

You can try the demo version, available here.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 11 of 11, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I forgot to mention that Alien Trilogy has a pretty good soundtrack, to my tastes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPzRI555Uwo&l … 5367013048EF504

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games