VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by xtgold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was just thinking,there are still AM radio stations around even in this day and age.
We have a local station,but it is only on the air until sunset.

Reply 1 of 5, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

They are mostly either talk radio, religious (largely Catholic) programming, or Mexican music (for some reason).

In the Denver area where I live, there are a couple of "oldies" stations that play classic music. They're OK, but not great, basically just a bunch of shuffled songs on repeat with minimal liners.

I have one of those "Part 15" AM transmitters on my roof, but it only sends a strong signal a few blocks.

But old AM radios are a ton of fun to tinker with, listen to, etc.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 2 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool! 😎 In Germany, the German Museum in Munich, Bavaria has an AM station, too, I heard.
It's called "Radio Eule" (Radio Owl, since the mascot is an owl) and can be heard outside the museum, even.
Thanks to its comparably large antenna (100m long, 10W ERP, 1500KHz).

https://www.deutsches-museum.de/presse/presse … 019/radio-eule/
English Translation

There's also a video, but it's rather boring (not to say lame) I admit.
The radio museum in Cham seems to be having a more diverse programme.
Though it's not exactly my taste either I guess. I'd like to hear less (mechancolic) German folk songs and
more -uhm- Tschaikowsky or Glenn Miller Band type of music. Or Jazz, Blues etc.
Or something funny, like "mein kleiner grüner Kaktus" (my little green cactus, an ancient nonsense song). 😉

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

funny enough I browsed though the AM band few weeks ago in my car in London lots of foreign radio, either Indian music or non English talking few golden oldie stations and talkback, just the 1 currant music station.
But the muffled sound of AM gave that a retro feel.