VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 21 of 136, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
2fort5r wrote:

IRC will be confusing to kids who have only ever known MSM/Skype/Twitter and the rest.

Kids that couldn't figure out IRC probably wouldn't be much interested in old computers and old games anyway.

Reply 22 of 136, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There a few good classic computer related IRC chat rooms out there. And they're not terribly hard to find.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 23 of 136, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I kicked my IRC habits years ago. also it's a really bad platform securitywise anyhow, encouraging IRC in 2015 isn't something i'd want to do anymore. It's like using ICQ over any other IM and using mailing lists as forums 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 26 of 136, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It would fit into the general ethos of this forum but the point about security is a big negative. IRC comes from the time when everybody on the internet knew each other, often personally, and weren't concerned about privacy. Things are different now.

Account retired. Now posting as Errius.

Reply 27 of 136, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
2fort5r wrote:

It would fit into the general ethos of this forum but the point about security is a big negative. IRC comes from the time when everybody on the internet knew each other, often personally, and weren't concerned about privacy. Things are different now.

I hardly see it as a problem considering what would be discussed. JMO

Reply 28 of 136, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This also reminds me of Usenet which dates from a similar time and suffered from similar issues. I assume that before this forum existed folks here were having these discussions in Usenet groups. (Someone on this forum has actually posted a link to a Usenet post I made many years ago. That made me laugh.)

Account retired. Now posting as Errius.

Reply 29 of 136, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PeterLI wrote:

IRC is dying. The # of networks, users & servers is shrinking daily.

So is everything on the internet that isn't part of some 'walled garden' and not optimized for tardphones. Including self-hosted web forums like this one. Maybe we should just turn off the lights around here and move over to facebook and WhatsApp?

Firing up an irc client these days is as easy as running a browser plugin. Hardly 'confusing' even for the n00b.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 30 of 136, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nmm never really used IRC, I hung out in the Star Trek Chat room instead from 97-01 when they closed it, then moved onto MSN messenger, totally missed IRC and ICQ, should totally check it out

Reply 31 of 136, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I , and a few of Vogons members, visit couple of computer related chat rooms on a daily basis. Nice thing about irc, as mentioned earlier, is it can be used with just about any system, for instance my OS/2v3 486 or in Dos on my 286/12. Some clever and interesting people still use it to nut out ideas on projects.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 32 of 136, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@VileRancour

Tardphones L O L

I couldn't agree more, I used an IRC client just recently and I had no experience with IRC before then and I got it up and working in no time flat. I was using it to talk with the OpenRA developers and community, those guys are awesome. 😁

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 33 of 136, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

An IRC would make sense... We all spend so much time playing around with vintage hardware and IRC is a medium with which we could communicate even on an 8086 era system. We could use the very builds we show off to each other to speak with each other.

Reply 34 of 136, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If there was an IRC vogons-sponsored chat room, I would probably idle in there like I do in other IRC chat rooms. If there was a conversation going and I was feeling bored, or couldn't get to sleep, I'd probably chip in. I started using IRC in 1995 and have been on there ever since. I have a goal to the the last user, or at least one of the last users, on the UNDERNET network.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 35 of 136, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would also idle in a Vogons IRC channel.

I left IRC when I moved to a different city late 2003. Before that I was SOP in the local channel. The parties the local IRC channel organized was awesome with an amazing mix of people.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 37 of 136, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Use freenode!!! It's the best!!!

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper