VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, I like viewing my own video files on older computers. I render Cinepak MOVs in Sony Vegas and they play back fine on a 4x and even a 2x CD drive, but you can't play MOVs in fullscreen VGA mode like AVIs in Windows 3.1, so it'd be nice to be able to make those as well. But for whatever reason, whenever I try to make Cinepak AVIs in Sony Vegas or FFmpeg and burn them to a CD, the laser doesn't go along a linear track and instead constantly seeks back and fourth during playback causing nasty framerate drops. I don't know if it's because the audio stream isn't alongside the video or what. If anyone here is familiar with this topic, please enlighten me on how to get these videos to play properly from a CD. For now, I have to play them back via the HDD on my 486 since that's fast enough to handle the seeking. Also, is there any way to lower the bitrate with FFmpeg at least? At 320x240 15fps I always get around 2000kbps no matter what I try.

Reply 3 of 7, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How do you record your CDs?

CDs recorded at high speeds on modern drives can fail in older equipment. I'd recommend to write CDs at the slower speed available.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 5 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
thepirategamerboy12 wrote on 2020-04-02, 13:38:

So, I like viewing my own video files on older computers. I render Cinepak MOVs in Sony Vegas and they play back fine
on a 4x and even a 2x CD drive, but you can't play MOVs in fullscreen VGA mode like AVIs in Windows 3.1, so it'd be nice to be able to make those as well.

Uhm, then I wonder, how did QuickTime games play their FMVs ? Didn't QT use MOV also ? Back in the Windows 3.1 days 4x or 8x speed wasn't common, if memory serves.
In fact, I *think* I grew up with single-speed and double-speed CD-ROM drives. This doesn't have to mean much, of course. 😅
Also, MPEG-1 was possible with single-speed, too. I remember that, because I used to watch VCDs (originals, no pirate copies).
Even on WIndows 3.1 with XingMPEG Player! 😉

Edit: It would be interesting to know, how Video CDs used to made. Especially, how they managed to retain VHS quality with the limited tech of the day.
If we knew what software (encoder) was used, and which settings it was configured for, we might be able to better understand how to "master" video files for older computers.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 7, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2020-04-09, 10:12:

Edit: It would be interesting to know, how Video CDs used to made. Especially, how they managed to retain VHS quality with the limited tech of the day.
If we knew what software (encoder) was used, and which settings it was configured for, we might be able to better understand how to "master" video files for older computers.

That's pretty well described on wikipedia, both the codec parameters and on disc structure:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_CD#Techni … _specifications
I have never burned my own Video CDs, but Nero had a profile for burning Video CDs which should match the specification.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices