VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That this could be done does not surprise, but that there is actually a commercial incentive to do it is mind blowing .

Testing & Teardown of China Faked Pentium 133MHz Socket 7 CPU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-GbiiuiCBY

Reply 4 of 8, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
auron wrote on 2020-05-09, 07:05:

is there any evidence these are currently being produced, as suggested by your title? there's this entry dating back to 2006.

I could not find any examples on ebay, for example . The way the sample shown looks, it would not fool anyone familiar with real thing .

Maybe they were made a long time ago, but I can't imagine when there might have been an oversupply of mobile parts and a high enough demand for desktop ones .

Reply 5 of 8, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Plot twist: the die has an even smaller fake chip inside that mimics the original Intel chips' properties.
The Chinese are capable of anything.

Reply 6 of 8, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Miphee wrote on 2020-05-09, 08:06:

Plot twist: the die has an even smaller fake chip inside that mimics the original Intel chips' properties.
The Chinese are capable of anything.

How do you know that ? Do you have any more info ?

EDIT: Or is this an Inception themed joke ?

Reply 7 of 8, by Fujoshi-hime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-05-09, 04:19:

That this could be done does not surprise, but that there is actually a commercial incentive to do it is mind blowing .

Testing & Teardown of China Faked Pentium 133MHz Socket 7 CPU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-GbiiuiCBY

I wonder if this is about turn key legacy systems. There's a lot of computer systems around the world running on very old platforms and have been dutifully doing their jobs for decades. It would be quite the cost to upgrade these machines that already do their job exactly right, so this instead creates a market for used replacement parts to keep said systems running when something fails. There's probably a LOT of Pentium 1 era laptops put into ewaste just shy of free, so the only cost would be salvaging the chip and then fitting it in the funky adapter board. There may be enough margin to make it profitable?

Even I have a 'Socket 1150' i7 4750HQ, one of those BGA mobile Haswell chips repackaged into a desktop socket. It was fairly pricey compared to real desktop Haswell chips, but I was upgrading a Lenovo M93P tiny so TDP was a major issue. The system refuses to provide more than 45w to the CPU even with a 4770K in it. Plus the 4750HQ has the 'Iris Pro' graphics, so it doubled the graphics performance as well. 😀 Not to mention the 128MB 'Crystal Well' L4 cache that gives it quite the IPC boost for minimal TDP cost.

Reply 8 of 8, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I really want to find one of the 300mhz tillamook fakes that used this package, but honestly I’d like to have any of these in my collection.

I wish we could find the gerber file for that interposer. Because 266mhz mobile flex chips are all over ebay

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)