VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A small observation of zero significance, having been playing Worms quite a lot lately: If you change the game setting “automatic action replay” to “off” and save, the setting remains that way for the session. If you exit the game and restart it though, it’s back to the default “on”. Everything else is retained/saved

wrms_000.png
Filename
wrms_000.png
File size
21.65 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

As I said it’s of exactly zero significance, I’m not looking for a solution. Just bringing it up since there doesn’t seem to be any mention about this bug elsewhere, which makes me think only a few noticed it and even fewer were bothered by it. It’s just weird for such a popular game, something that easily reproducible to go unnoticed for so many years, and that’s the main reason for this thread.

I’m a bit sceptical about it being a bug though and leaning more towards an intentional behavior, as the replays of impressive and winning shots really add to the game (unless you play a lot and get bored with them, so you try to disable them and end up with a thread in vogons). Also this was never “fixed”, neither in the “Reinforcements” expansion (Worms+) nor the “Worms United” release which contained both the original Worms and the expansion, which in my opinion adds points to the “intentional” scenario.

So, had anyone else noticed this little quirk until now?

Reply 1 of 5, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From my notes on this game:

• With Worms, Worms: Reinforcements and Worms United there is an audio stuttering problem on DOSBox 0.74. This however also occu […]
Show full quote

• With Worms, Worms: Reinforcements and Worms United there is an audio stuttering problem on DOSBox 0.74. This however also occurs on real hardware (see below) so cannot be an emulation issue.

• The retail Worms: Reinforcements installer sometimes causes DOSBox 0.74 to hang when the CD is changed. A dialog box will appear on the Windows desktop (not in the DOSBox window) complaining that the CD cannot be found. You must select the “Try Again” option. (Do not press “Continue”.) Installation will proceed as normal. It is recommended to run DOSBox in a Window while running this installation.

• Note that enabling double buffering causes Worms: Reinforcements to malfunction in DOSBox 0.74. The reason is unknown. To reset the settings, delete WORMS.CFG.

• There is a bug in Worms: Reinforcements that sometimes causes CPU-controlled worms to fire repeatedly into the ground, as if trying to kill worms that have fallen off the bottom of the screen. It is not a difficulty issue as it happens with all CPU difficulty levels.

• The wind strength option in Worms: Reinforcements appears to be faulty. There is sometimes wind when the option is off, and there does not appear to be any difference between the min, medium and max settings. The setting should be set to off permanently and not changed.

There is a bug in Worms: Reinforcements that prevents you from disabling the automatic replay option. It always switches itself back on.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 2 of 5, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Errius wrote on 2020-05-26, 14:59:

From my notes on this game:

Ah so there's another one who noticed this small thing! Thanks for sharing. It's also in the original Worms, not just the expansion.

Reply 3 of 5, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is a patch for the original Worms. I have never applied it as I always install the expansion. Do you know what it does?

https://worms2d.info/Patch_(Worms_1)

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 5 of 5, by Sky92

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
konc wrote on 2020-05-26, 14:45:

A small observation of zero significance, having been playing Worms quite a lot lately: If you change the game setting “automatic action replay” to “off” and save, the setting remains that way for the session. If you exit the game and restart it though, it’s back to the default “on”. Everything else is retained/saved

So, had anyone else noticed this little quirk until now?

What if nothing saves at all...?
Just got me a NOS Worms and Reinforcements United CD. I had this game in the past and remember it was fine on my PII-W98 system back then...
However, running this on a period correct system today... Even after editing multiple teams and playing multiple games and having actively saved status... Soon as I exit, everything is wiped... Next time I play: Nothing I did is there at all... This can't be right? Anyone any idea as to why that might keep happening?