VOGONS

Common searches

Why CGA?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 31, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Re: Mice - a qucik Hibernate/Resume re-enables the mice.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 22 of 31, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
DosFreak wrote:
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

Agreed. USB mice doesn't work under plain ms-dos, don't they?

Sure, they do and for quite some time. Along with CDROM, USB Flash, ZIP, and Hard Drives.
http://www.stefan2000.com/darkehorse/PC/DOS/Drivers/USB/

Quote from the mentioned page:

As a general rule, USB is NOT supported in DOS. There are companies and individuals who are producing USB stacks for DOS, but nothing practical yet for the everyday DOS user. I hope to include all of the software and information available on this page since this topic does tend to pop up a lot on discussion boards....

Mirek

Reply 23 of 31, by El nostalgico

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

And do you remember XGA it is also standard for PS/2
eXtended graphic adapter - haha. Other name was also funny

PC XT - extended technology
PC AT - advanced technology. Oh my first 286 with 16 Mhz and 1 Mb ram with monochromatic (black orange) monitor.

And you are right that PC/2 could be a pretty good standard. But such a fucking IBM wanted to only sell this standard, not free like a XT or AT. By the way I heard that only one think was licenced in XT standard the BIOS. And Copaq was first company wich cracked it and cloned it.

It was possible because, about year 1979 IBM managers found out, that IBM is only one big player (in computer bussines) who doesnt have personal computer (PC) - other words computer which can buy person for his or her self. IBM was hurry, They decided construct new computer as fast as they can (to year 1981). Only one solusion was possible - buy existing products and didnt develop its.

That is why:

proccesor form Intel
OS from microsoft
and so on, and so on

But i know that was the biiiiiiiiiiig lucky for open PC platform. And why is PC the most wide-spread platform. And why is soooooooooo cheeeeeep.

hehe

Reply 24 of 31, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ChaosFish wrote:

What's with that evolution from CGA, then EGA, then VGA, etc.? Why didn't we just start with SVGA?

It's a bit like asking why Home Erectus bothered to hit stones to make fire, when he could just have used a Zippo 😉

Reply 25 of 31, by ribbon13

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Why didn't we start out with 720p Widescreen CRTs? Why didn't we start out with 192khz/24bit digital out to a Denon 5805 7.1 160wpc? Why didn't we start out with helmets that have 4-layer translucent LCDs with 400mhz video bandwidth for complete peripheral vision sized 3d computing and wireless brainwave interface device so that people who are paralyzed can interact with pc's like everyone else? Why did Bush get elected?