VOGONS

Common searches

Eco-warriors to the rescue!

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Split this debate off to Milliways. Please civil to each other and don't make me regret keeping it alive.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-06-19, 07:00. Edited 2 times in total.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 1 of 84, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not PC related, but I got the 1999 Polaris SLX 1050 out of the garage and started it up. Still works! 2-stroke with custom waterbox, 3-cylinder.. sounds like a dirt bike. 🤣 My 97 HMMWV is also in the background too.

ByzSTle.jpg

Gallery with startup video: https://imgur.com/gallery/x5uYwDk

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 2 of 84, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wiretap wrote on 2020-06-18, 01:31:
Not PC related, but I got the 1999 Polaris SLX 1050 out of the garage and started it up. Still works! 2-stroke with custom water […]
Show full quote

Not PC related, but I got the 1999 Polaris SLX 1050 out of the garage and started it up. Still works! 2-stroke with custom waterbox, 3-cylinder.. sounds like a dirt bike. 🤣 My 97 HMMWV is also in the background too.

ByzSTle.jpg

You do know the greenies will be after you for having a Hummer (12MPG) and all that fun gas guzzling stuff ! I think it is great you got some good old FUN toys !

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 84, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2020-06-18, 02:56:
Not PC related, but I got the 1999 Polaris SLX 1050 out of the garage and started it up. Still works! 2-stroke with custom water […]
Show full quote

ByzSTle.jpg

You do know the greenies will be after you for having a Hummer (12MPG) and all that fun gas guzzling stuff ! I think it is great you got some good old FUN toys !

The vanity plate I have on it is "MAX CO2" so I receive extra smug looks. It's pretty fun.

My Github

Reply 4 of 84, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Considering the upcoming tesla cybertruck will likely destroy the hummer in practically every benchmark, i can say with certainty i look forward to not having gasoline cars/trucks around.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 5 of 84, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wiretap wrote on 2020-06-18, 03:01:

The vanity plate I have on it is "MAX CO2" so I receive extra smug looks. It's pretty fun.

I wish I could laugh at global warming, nature and humans dying, and constant 30+ celsius degrees 6 months per year. And the certainty that a lot of people have died and will die because of heat, with nowhere left to hide.

Really funny.

Reply 6 of 84, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's not the fault of the individual. The oil and gas companies (among others) have known since the 70's and have spent LITERAL mountains of money to kill green solutions and to brain wash enough of the population to agree with them.

Reply 7 of 84, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know, and the individual being at fault is a tale that they ingrained very well in the general population.

We're fucked.

That's why I wished I could laugh at my own future heat death.

Reply 8 of 84, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh come now, China will surely cook up Kung Flu 2: Electric Boogaloo, and you won't have to worry about mass species extinction due to drastic changes in ocean surface temperatures and inland aridity arising from this.
But seriously, China, Pakistan, and India dump more garbage into the land, sea, and air than every private citizen in the Western world, combined, by at minimum, an order of magnitude. Unless you're pouring paint thinner down your basement sink drain, and roasting endangered species over a pile or burning plastic every day, you couldn't compete over the course of your entire lifetime, compared to what they do in a day.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 9 of 84, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xcomcmdr wrote on 2020-06-18, 07:24:

I wish I could laugh at global warming, nature and humans dying, and constant 30+ celsius degrees 6 months per year. And the certainty that a lot of people have died and will die because of heat, with nowhere left to hide.

Really funny.

We seem to be doing alright below the equator.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 10 of 84, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xcomcmdr wrote on 2020-06-18, 07:24:

Really funny.

Don't worry, I'll do it for you. 🤣 Meanwhile, everyone else will continue to power up their super inefficient performance per CO2 unit retro hardware and fly/drive it around the globe to be delivered. We all have our fun in many earth harming ways. At least I'm honest about it. It's all good though, I will continue producing 1210MWe of zero-carbon energy on the grid every day to offset it.

My Github

Reply 11 of 84, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Edit:

It's all good though, I will continue producing 1210MWe of zero-carbon energy on the grid every day to offset it.

Honesty has nothing to do with it.

Unless you remove the CO² you put in the atmosphere, you're not offsetting anything.

And actually with 12 old PCs lying around, I don't buy retro hardware much these days.

No space left.

Reply 12 of 84, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I never understood the "at least I'm honest about it" argument. It doesn't make whatever you do less bad. If anything, it makes you look like you're proud of it. Also, CO2 from cars and motorbikes is nothing compared to emissions from huge ships and factories, making the whole 'green energy' shtick a joke.

Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-06-18, 08:42:

We seem to be doing alright below the equator.

I'm afraid not. In fact, it has gone so much out of control that the only question is not if, but how much and how quickly earth's habitable areas will decrease in the next 100 years due to extreme conditions caused by climate change.

luckybob wrote on 2020-06-18, 07:32:

It's not the fault of the individual. The oil and gas companies (among others) have known since the 70's and have spent LITERAL mountains of money to kill green solutions and to brain wash enough of the population to agree with them.

Couldn't agree more. You would think that now, in the 'age of information' and whatnot, more people would be aware, and actively doing something to improve the situation, but nope, some people don't even believe Covid-19 is real! Some even believe vaccines cause autism, cancer, homosexuality etc. It's a scary world we live in...

Welp, rant over.

Reply 13 of 84, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It isn't less bad than anyone else -- I just don't worry about it. I actively support new science and technology to improve efficiency and we will naturally progress in that direction with time. I won't however buy a li-ion based vehicle that leaves me stranded in -20F weather (like happens to several of my co-workers every winter), or isn't even able to make it to my cabin and back since there's no charging networks remotely in the area (nearest one is 140mi away) and there's no on-premises power besides a small diesel generator.

My Github

Reply 14 of 84, by andrea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-06-18, 02:56:
Show full quote

ByzSTle.jpg

A somewhat off topic tidbit: Hummers are so heavy that in Italy the law considers the few privately imported ones as lorries, and therefore to drive one you need a C driving license and a tachograph to be installed.

Reply 15 of 84, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I live about 40 miles from Mt.St. Helens. When it was erupting (1980-81) it spewed CO2, H2S and many other things into the air. Our local DEQ monitored the output and claimed it sent the equal of both states total per year into the air every week of the erupting. A few years ago we had bad wildfires here and same claim, every month more CO2 was released from the burns than humans in the state did in a year. Not saying humans do not add to things but nature can and will do more damage quickly than man can do in week, months or years (unless we nuke the place). Just saying that many are mislead as to how natural occurances and man made occurances are both to blame IF you want believe the hype about global change.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 16 of 84, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The idea that we should do nothing because the problem is too big, or too costly, or just "not my fault" is asinine and irresponsible.

I distinctly remember the ozone hole situation. The world came together to make changes, and now the damage is well on its way to be repaired.

Humans are 95% the cause of the problem. Those that disagree, are mentally deficient and should go fuck themselves with a cactus.

And just to preempt the usual rhetoric that follows, math and science don't care about your "feelings" or your "beliefs".

I mean honestly, what is the downside of "going green"? I happen to like clean and safe water and air. If you are a religious person, doesn't it say in the Bible we should be stewards of the earth?

You are a perfect example of the corporate brainwashing that I mentioned earlier.

Reply 17 of 84, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote on 2020-06-19, 02:43:
Humans are 95% the cause of the problem. Those that disagree, are mentally deficient and should go fuck themselves with a cactu […]
Show full quote

Humans are 95% the cause of the problem. Those that disagree, are mentally deficient and should go fuck themselves with a cactus.

And just to preempt the usual rhetoric that follows, math and science don't care about your "feelings" or your "beliefs".

I mean honestly, what is the downside of "going green"? I happen to like clean and safe water and air. If you are a religious person, doesn't it say in the Bible we should be stewards of the earth?

You are a perfect example of the corporate brainwashing that I mentioned earlier.

Wow you are so wrong and know nothing about me. You are actually the same rhetoric that many others follow with out actually looking into the real history. Of course many today try to cover the fact that over a million years ago the CO2 and water vapor levels were near double what it is today
The Ozone hole closed itself and is cyclic based on NASA studies. Please explain these things:
Deadly known Hurricanes in USA before Industrialization here:
Newfoundland August 29–September 9, 1775 North Carolina, Virginia, Newfoundland Deaths: 4,000 – 4,163
Pointe-a-Pitre Bay September 5, 1776 Deaths: 6,000+
The St. Lucia Hurricane of 1780 June 13, 1780 Puerto Rico St. Lucia Deaths: 4,000–5,000
Great Hurricane of 1780 October 9–20, 1780 Lesser Antilles, Puerto Rico, Hispaniola, Bermuda Deaths: 22,000–27,501
Central Atlantic hurricane September 16, 1782 destroyed Admiral Thomas Graves fleet 3,000+
Galveston August 27 – September 15, 1900 The Caribbean, Texas Deaths: 8,000–12,000\
Odd, there was no real industry here to alter the environment back then. If the USA was heavily populated like today the death toll could have been multidudes more..
Ok and please explain the Roman warming period of 250 BC to AD 400 and the mini-ice age of 1300-1700. Those are facts not fiction.
Science tells more than that too, if the some would allow real reporting of the facts instead of the slanted news we all would be better.
Want to blame someone for pollution: blame China. India, Mexico. The US and Europe have done very well in controlling their pollution. Fact !

Reply 18 of 84, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2020-06-19, 02:20:

A few years ago we had bad wildfires here and same claim, every month more CO2 was released from the burns than humans in the state did in a year. Not saying humans do not add to things but nature can and will do more damage quickly than man can do in week, months or years (unless we nuke the place). Just saying that many are mislead as to how natural occurances and man made occurances are both to blame IF you want believe the hype about global change.

Wildfires are usually the result of human activities, be it actual stupidity like lighting a fire in very dry conditions, or something as simple as a piece of glass working as a magnifying glass for sunlight causing dry leaves to start smouldering and evolve into a fire.

Furthermore, true natural disasters only occur once in a long while. Human-made disasters occur every day.

Horun wrote on 2020-06-19, 04:23:
luckybob wrote on 2020-06-19, 02:43:
Humans are 95% the cause of the problem. Those that disagree, are mentally deficient and should go fuck themselves with a cactu […]
Show full quote

Wow you are so wrong and know nothing about me. You are actually the same rhetoric that many others follow with out actually looking into the real history. Of course many today try to cover the fact that over a million years ago the CO2 and water vapor levels were near double what it is today

Did you know the maximum moisture in the atmosphere is linked to the atmosphere's temperature?

The Ozone hole closed itself and is cyclic based on NASA studies.

Oh really: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozone_depletion

"The main cause of ozone depletion and the ozone hole is manufactured chemicals, especially manufactured halocarbon refrigerants, solvents, propellants and foam-blowing agents (chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), HCFCs, halons), referred to as ozone-depleting substances (ODS)."

Please explain these things: Deadly known Hurricanes in USA before Industrialization here: Newfoundland August 29–September 9, 1 […]
Show full quote

Please explain these things:
Deadly known Hurricanes in USA before Industrialization here:
Newfoundland August 29–September 9, 1775 North Carolina, Virginia, Newfoundland Deaths: 4,000 – 4,163
Pointe-a-Pitre Bay September 5, 1776 Deaths: 6,000+
The St. Lucia Hurricane of 1780 June 13, 1780 Puerto Rico St. Lucia Deaths: 4,000–5,000
Great Hurricane of 1780 October 9–20, 1780 Lesser Antilles, Puerto Rico, Hispaniola, Bermuda Deaths: 22,000–27,501
Central Atlantic hurricane September 16, 1782 destroyed Admiral Thomas Graves fleet 3,000+
Galveston August 27 – September 15, 1900 The Caribbean, Texas Deaths: 8,000–12,000\
Odd, there was no real industry here to alter the environment back then. If the USA was heavily populated like today the death toll could have been multidudes more..

That's because hurricanes and other storms are natural phenomenons in any atmosphere (see Jupiter and its mega-storms). However, there are more storms and more violent storms in warmer atmospheres because warmer atmospheres are more unstable (this is related to physics). Sudden changes in the atmosphere (where we define "sudden" as "occurs in a matter of decades" versus not so sudden being over hundreds if not thousands of years) lead to disruption of natural equilibrium and a temporary change of weather patterns. Guess what happens if that sudden change keeps escalating in the wrong direction?

Something similar to tipping over a bowl of mayonnaise. Beyond a certain point it falls over and the mayonnaise spills all over the place. Maybe the bowl also shatters. Results in a nice mess. The faster the tipping over happens, the smaller the chance that you can stop it.

Ok and please explain the Roman warming period of 250 BC to AD 400 and the mini-ice age of 1300-1700. Those are facts not fiction.
Science tells more than that too, if the some would allow real reporting of the facts instead of the slanted news we all would be better.

Science also explains those quite well, AFAIK. Please don't cherry-pick those facts you like so much.

Want to blame someone for pollution: blame China. India, Mexico. The US and Europe have done very well in controlling their pollution. Fact !

Er, no. Pollution is the US is basically a free-for-all, especially since your latest president basically destroyed many basic protections.

Europe is better, but still quite bad in general from a biological point of view.

If you look closer, you will find regions that have quite bad air and water quality (linked to intensive farming and heavy industry). If you look even closer, you'll find that most true nature in Europe doesn't exist anymore, it's almost all been heavily changed by agriculture in the last 10,000 years and biodiversity has considerably dropped all over the place, especially since the start of industrialisation about 200 years ago. And if you look at the local scale, you can find a lot of pollution everywhere, with only a few scattered hotspots that have decent biodiversity and little chemical pollution and little noise pollution and little light pollution (actually, any kind of pollution is inherently coupled to diminished biodiversity). Those hotspots aren't connected properly to each other (which we try to resolve with wildlife corridors, but really that's insufficient...), leading to fragmentation of habitats.
That's ecological and population science for you. Also facts. Not cherry-picked.

Reply 19 of 84, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Split this out of the "What retro activities did you do today?" thread in Marvin -> General Old Hardware.

I'm sure the trolls will make me regret not just pitching it in the bin in the first place.

I don't see this going anywhere good - we don't do well with science debates here let along politically tinged ones, so please, exceed my expectations and be, if not kind, civil with each other.

Unlocked.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto