VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know this may seem obvious but I'm getting conflicting info. I got a retail version of Win10 which is being used
by my i3 build which very soon will be replaced with a newer system. Can I simply re-use my retail license as long
as the other build is being replaced?

From my checking so far you have to go into the command prompt and de-register the old system, then reverse
the procedure in the new. Is this what all of you out there are doing? Seems like a lot of trouble for what used
to be a straight forward process.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 1 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm guessing these are the command line steps you are talking about.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-transfer-w … r-or-hard-drive

It depends on what your doing with the old PC
If your going to wipe the hard drive then just do that and use the key when installing on the new PC. It may complain about hardware not matching and force you to make a phone call, maybe not. but even if it does it's all automated.

The slmgr /upk command just removes the licence from an existing install so you don't have 2 PC's reporting in to MS saying they are using the same key.
If the old PC has been wiped or never connected to the internet again then this isn't going to happen anyway.

Reply 2 of 5, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2020-07-30, 10:13:
I'm guessing these are the command line steps you are talking about. https://www.windowscentral.com/how-transfer-w … r-or-hard- […]
Show full quote

I'm guessing these are the command line steps you are talking about.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-transfer-w … r-or-hard-drive

It depends on what your doing with the old PC
If your going to wipe the hard drive then just do that and use the key when installing on the new PC. It may complain about hardware not matching and force you to make a phone call, maybe not. but even if it does it's all automated.

The slmgr /upk command just removes the licence from an existing install so you don't have 2 PC's reporting in to MS saying they are using the same key.
If the old PC has been wiped or never connected to the internet again then this isn't going to happen anyway.

Actually I'm going to take the old pc apart and use the case for a tualatin win98 system to be built later. I'm probably making too
big of a deal about this but that's just me being me. Thanks for the input!

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 3 of 5, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The super easy way is to just swap the drive from the old system into the new system. This usually works just fine.

And the other easy way.. unless something has changed is if you are using your MS account to login, your MS account web page should have a record of all your Win10 licenses and you can move them around from there unless something has changed.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 5, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-07-30, 15:24:

The super easy way is to just swap the drive from the old system into the new system. This usually works just fine.

And the other easy way.. unless something has changed is if you are using your MS account to login, your MS account web page should have a record of all your Win10 licenses and you can move them around from there unless something has changed.

Yeah, wanted to stick to a "local" account .

I could just swap the drive, but got a new m.2 ssd been itching to use but I guess cloning/imaging is an option.
Never done it before though.

Reply 5 of 5, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can create a MS account and deactivate the license from the old PC. Then install Windows on the new build with the MS account first to get the license associated to the new motherboard, and finally do a clean reinstall and set up a local account. It will activate automatically when it detects that you are using the same PC the license is now tied to.