Retro confessions. What are yours?

Topic actions

Reply 620 of 622, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gerry wrote on 2021-10-07, 16:04:

I don't really care much for 'retro brighting', i see it works and looks kind of good, I can appreciate it when done by others - but i actually quite like the aged look, old warhorses and all that!

I am this way for slightly yellow or amber items but some things are either so goddamn brown that they look like a pirate's wooden teeth, or so onevenly yellowed (window side vs room side etc.) that I can't bear their appearance 🙁

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 621 of 622, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2021-10-12, 06:22:
gerry wrote on 2021-10-07, 16:04:

I don't really care much for 'retro brighting', i see it works and looks kind of good, I can appreciate it when done by others - but i actually quite like the aged look, old warhorses and all that!

I am this way for slightly yellow or amber items but some things are either so goddamn brown that they look like a pirate's wooden teeth

a pirate themed PC case..... there's an idea! 😀

Reply 622 of 622, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-10-07, 20:29:
I bet you never used any of the Optiplex SX/GX 260/270/280 machines during the capacitor plague years... Was doing onsite Dell w […]
Show full quote
Standard Def Steve wrote on 2021-09-24, 04:11:
I've got another one! […]
Show full quote

I've got another one!

I am probably the world's biggest Dell fanboy. No, Dell didn't start the IBM clone business. They didn't out-junior the PCjr with their own custom sound and graphics modes. Hell, they didn't even have the balls to affix "Never Obsolete" stickers to any of their cheapo Celeron boxes. Still, I love them. Every Dell I've owned--and there have been plenty over the years--has never given me any trouble. They're just fantastically quiet, robust workhorses.

You know, if I were fortunate enough to stumble upon a $10 Amiga 4000 and a $10 Dell 386 at a garage sale, yet unfortunate enough to find but a single tenner in my wallet, I'd pick the Dell. No lie!

We should totally dedicate the month of February to our favourite Dells! Call it FebruDellry or something! TechTubers, are you listening? 😜

I bet you never used any of the Optiplex SX/GX 260/270/280 machines during the capacitor plague years... Was doing onsite Dell warranty during that time and we were replacing those left and right. Was most of our work for a few months at least.

Or how about the Dell Dimension 4600 towers where the exhaust fan was installed backwards from the factory. This was leading to all sorts of problems such as RAM, HDD, and motherboard failures not to mention CPU throttling due to overheating. Almost every single Dimension 4600 I worked on had this issue.

Then there was the multiple years of poorly designed screen hinges on the laptops. Screws would come loose and worst case scenario was the aluminum on the hinge mechanism would break and/or cause the chassis to break. It could also break the bezel on the screen itself.

To this day, every Dell laptop I work on gets the screen hinge screws tightened up as much as I can tighten them without breaking them or stripping the screws because they still come loose after maybe 6-months to a year.

That being said, I still like Dell machines . I have a decent number of newer Dell laptops as well as a desktop that all get used pretty regularly . I also have some retro/vintage Dell machines .

You're right man, I've never used those machines. I never really liked the P4 though, so I pretty much skipped that entire generation of Optiplexes and Dimensions. I do, however, have a Dimension XPS Gen 2 decked out with a P4EE 3.2 and an FX5950 Ultra. I was fortunate enough to find that machine right here in town about a year ago. I never experienced the P4EE and 5950U in their heyday, so I was beyond intrigued; the fact that it was housed in a Dell flagship made me want it even more! Luckily, the owner was very much into retro computing, and he was more than happy to trade the XPS for my maxed out PowerMac G4 (dual 1.5GHz G4s, 7800GS AGP).

The old XPSs used motherboards and enclosures from Dell's Precision workstations, so probably had far better caps and cooling than their mainstream P4 junk.

Speaking of XPS, I've been eying those sexy new OLED-equipped XPS 15s to replace an aging Surface Pro 4. I want one in a bad, bad way...ugh. 🤤

Ten Gigahertz
5 Groovy GHz: Ryzen 9 5900X | GTX 1080 Ti | 64GB DDR4-3600 | 2TB NVMe, 8TB HDD | Win 10 & 11
5 Troll GHz: AMD FX-8350 | Radeon R9 Fury | 16GB DDR3-1866 | 500GB SSD, 2TB HDD | Win 8.1