Common searches

Retro confessions. What are yours?

Topic actions

Reply 181 of 749, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It took me many, many tries to get into Planescape Torment. Even so, it's not really what I look for in an RPG at all (combat, exploration, character development [i.e. character abilities and skills]). I really don't care about the characters, but the thing that finally hooked me was exploring the environments and learning about the world. Even so, I still haven't finished the game as it's something I have to be in the mood for, and I am rarely in that mood 😀.

Reply 182 of 749, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It took me beating both Arena and Daggerfall for me to be able to enjoy Morrowind's combat system enough to be able to play the game. Instead of complaining about the lack of hitting, now I'm just happy to not have to flick my mouse around while missing.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 183 of 749, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It took me a few days to go through Planescape Torment. I enjoyed it a lot.

I never enjoyed Baldur's Gate I/II, not even a little. I played the first NeverWinter Nights over and over, and it was my first game of this type.
Even when not comparing it to NWN or Planescape or Fallout, Baldur feels so cluncky and way too hard.

Reply 184 of 749, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xcomcmdr wrote on 2020-12-06, 07:08:

I never enjoyed Baldur's Gate I/II, not even a little.

Terrible game. People always talked about it like it was amazing, though.

Reply 185 of 749, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
hwh wrote on 2020-12-06, 09:17:

Is it perhaps this kind of game where the entertainment is from following the story, but the gameplay is sub-par?

I never even tried to play it, simply because RPGs in general are not my cup of tea. So I wouldn't be able to determine whether I dislike it because I don't like the genre in general, or because there is something wrong with the game.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 186 of 749, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr_st wrote on 2020-12-06, 09:59:
hwh wrote on 2020-12-06, 09:17:

Is it perhaps this kind of game where the entertainment is from following the story, but the gameplay is sub-par?

I never even tried to play it, simply because RPGs in general are not my cup of tea. So I wouldn't be able to determine whether I dislike it because I don't like the genre in general, or because there is something wrong with the game.

Story...huh. I think they both sucked. I love some RPGs. In fact, I think the best games have RPG elements. Baldur's Gate is an implementation of D&D style rules. Basically the DM is a game, which shouldn't matter, but the style of the game is probably on some level a little uh, it translates to a table game a little too easily. And for some reason, these rules, which exist to make practical the gameplay of physical games with more or less infinite possibilities, translate into a game with fixed possibilities as a huge, boring table of races, statistics, and item effects.

Just going to drive you mad, is it worth spending 80000 gold to switch out your sharp axe +2 for a sharp axe +3 (are we having fun yet)? Probably "not" but if there's nothing better you can find to spend the money on, it may be the best thing to do unless you're dumb like me and don't know that there's some magic shop in some corner selling scrolls of superior (as opposed to regular ones) protection, like what the hell.

In addition to that, I hated the story, the characters, the rendering, it was too hard, too complicated (in part because of the D&D item/spell/character everything modification, it just goes on and on in a procedurally generated and boring way). I mean it was probably a reasonably good time when it was released but the fact that it's some people's favorite game kind of stuns me.

The developer, Black Isle I believe, was known for making a series of games based on this model which some people couldn't get enough of. I bought one of their last games (Lionheart), uggggghhhhhhh. That was before I had played Baldur's Gate or knew who they were. Did I mention these games are all a sequence of boring dungeon crawls with a few towns scattered in between?

Reply 187 of 749, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did like Knights of Xentar, and I think that there should be more games like that.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 188 of 749, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I like it too ! So much so, that I bought it (the American release, that is).
I also really like the Dragon Knight series overall, and especially the 4th one on PC-98/SNES.
Even if it was all in Japanese (and censored on the SNES), its Fire Emblem-like gameplay and graphics/sounds are very enjoyable.
Also there is some OVAs around Xentar (Dragon Knight III) and Dragon Knight IV that you can find on YT.
The whole series and the developers behind it is a fascinating rabbit hole...
Thankfully, there is a very long article in English about them and the series here:
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/dragon-knight/

Reply 189 of 749, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The people who turned off UAC just amaze me, in a bad way. I guess these are the people who run linux boxes with root accounts? The UAC was perfectly fine, worked as intended and was not at all flawed. The average user is an idiot who insisted on using their computers with the necessary previleges to fuck it up completely.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 191 of 749, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
hyperrmachine wrote on 2020-12-07, 09:54:

1. I like SNES more than NES

Are there people who don't? I remember being blown away by the pack-in Super Mario World, let alone later stuff like Donkey Kong Country which had some pretty incredible graphics for the time. Not to mention the great RPGs of the day like Chrono Trigger and FF6. And with the Super Game Boy you could even play your GB games in color!

On a related note, my SNES retro confession is that I didn't like Yoshi's Island. Also, that game should have never been called Super Mario World 2. It just wasn't a proper sequel, even though it may be a semi-decent game in its own right.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 192 of 749, by hyperrmachine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-12-07, 10:20:
hyperrmachine wrote on 2020-12-07, 09:54:

1. I like SNES more than NES

Are there people who don't? I remember being blown away by the pack-in Super Mario World, let alone later stuff like Donkey Kong Country which had some pretty incredible graphics for the time. Not to mention the great RPGs of the day like Chrono Trigger and FF6. And with the Super Game Boy you could even play your GB games in color!

On a related note, my SNES retro confession is that I didn't like Yoshi's Island. Also, that game should have never been called Super Mario World 2. It just wasn't a proper sequel, even though it may be a semi-decent game in its own right.

I mean I find the SNES more interesting than the NES.

Reply 194 of 749, by hyperrmachine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Another retro confession:
ICOM's MacVenture series of point-and-click adventures had better interfaces than LucasArts' early point-and-click adventures.
I really hated how you had to double-click to perform an action in Maniac Mansion and Zak McKracken. Deja Vu doesn't have the bad interface design of Maniac Mansion/Zak McKracken.

Reply 195 of 749, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

NES had superior sound versus Master system, and better games, but yes Master System had little more colors. Hey where is Master System Contra? Or Master System TMNT 2/3?

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.

Reply 198 of 749, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had both (NES and SEGA).

Played more SEGA games than NES ones from what I can remember

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 199 of 749, by Silanda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xcomcmdr wrote on 2020-12-05, 08:39:

Contrary to popular belief, it's very stable, provided you don't install weird crap and/or bad drivers.

Yeah, that was my experience too. I had one issue where system restore malfunctioned and ate all my free drive space, but other than that I had a better time with it than 98. Using it on emulation it does seem a little heavier than 98 to me though.