VOGONS

Common searches

Retro confessions. What are yours?

Topic actions

Reply 680 of 749, by lepidotós

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I really want to build a joke build. The stupidest part choices imaginable, running an OS that shouldn't ever be run on it (like FreeDOS and Windows NT 3.1 or Fedora 30 or something), but the hardware is like an Opteron 248 and a PCI Riva TNT2 and 8GB of RAM. Throw it in a goofy modern g4m3r case for kicks.

Reply 681 of 749, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lepidotós wrote on 2022-11-15, 06:32:

I really want to build a joke build. The stupidest part choices imaginable, running an OS that shouldn't ever be run on it (like FreeDOS and Windows NT 3.1 or Fedora 30 or something), but the hardware is like an Opteron 248 and a PCI Riva TNT2 and 8GB of RAM. Throw it in a goofy modern g4m3r case for kicks.

Goofball build ..Socket 423, 512mb 266Mhz Rdram, 1.3Ghz Pentium 4 Willy, it of course has to have a 128mb FX5200 64bit GPU and for giggles why not a 8mb cache 5400 RPM Conner HDD(Non ATA version). As for OS ..well Windows ME unpatched seems like a perfect choice. Just as a final fuck you to the user a 4x CD Rom should also be included.

As for sound . .may as well use the AC97 audio that the board should come with, not sure you can get worse than that out of the box.

As for the case .. well I cant think of a better use for one of them fluro colored clear plastic ricer cases of the day than to throw a goofball build into it, you could go further and throw unicorn vomit RGB fans into it and mod a clear side panel for some even tastier rainbow unicorn vomit led lights.

Reply 682 of 749, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I want to make a troll build: Cyrix 6x68 P150, Matrox Mystique, Terratec Base-1 (AD1816), WinMe. I just don't have a troll case for it.. I'm thinking Athlon era transparent blue plastic ones.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 683 of 749, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2022-11-15, 08:52:

I want to make a troll build: Cyrix 6x68 P150, Matrox Mystique, Terratec Base-1 (AD1816), WinMe. I just don't have a troll case for it.. I'm thinking Athlon era transparent blue plastic ones.

hmmm thats a nice troll build you got there ...actually looks like a build born out of experience.

Reply 684 of 749, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For a case I'd get some overdesigned crap like the Darkflash Knight K1 or Thermaltake AH T600 with an unreasonable amount of badly placed RGB. But considering how expensive those are, you'd be trolling yourself as much as others.

Last edited by RandomStranger on 2022-11-15, 09:35. Edited 1 time in total.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 685 of 749, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-11-15, 09:25:

For a case I'd get some overdesigned crap like the Darkflash Knight K1 or Thermaltake AH T600 with an unreasonable amount of badly RGB. But considering how expensive those are, you'd be trolling yourself as much as others.

We all make bad choices 🤣

Reply 686 of 749, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-11-15, 09:25:

For a case I'd get some overdesigned crap like the Darkflash Knight K1 or Thermaltake AH T600 with an unreasonable amount of badly placed RGB. But considering how expensive those are, you'd be trolling yourself as much as others.

My eyes.. the goggles.. do.. nothing!..

jackie-chan-crying.gif

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 687 of 749, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lepidotós wrote on 2022-11-15, 01:48:

Could use it as a guinea pig to try out various OSes and prototypes if that's your thing. It is mine. I have an Inspiron 2200 (Pentium M, 1.6GHz) that I mainly use for Haiku, ReactOS, and NT 3.51 with VBEMP NT, all juggled every couple months. Or at least, did until the power jack loosened up. Battery's dead, too.

That's not a bad idea. I happen to like OSes and have never tried some of these odd ones. Not sure if the optical drive works so that will affect things.

Reply 688 of 749, by lepidotós

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, hopefully it works out for you.

I tend to write off the entire Rage 6 generation because of the poor performance of the Mobility Radeon 7500 in my iBook G3. No reflection on whether or not it's just awful Mac ports, though the fact Mac-exclusive (or at least -first) games don't perform stellarly helps.

I realize the Mobility 7500 is Rage 7, the same as the Radeon 8500DV I have that I wanted to use in my Power Mac G4 and may use in my Athlon. And yet, one feels significantly weaker than the other.

> Darkflash Knight K1

That is beautifully stupid, I kinda like it for how awful it is.

Reply 689 of 749, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If there was ever anything perfect to put in a barbie case.... 🤣

They were worthless 5 years ago, but they got appreciation, so good condition ones have gone $$$ though.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 690 of 749, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-11-15, 07:53:
Goofball build ..Socket 423, 512mb 266Mhz Rdram, 1.3Ghz Pentium 4 Willy, it of course has to have a 128mb FX5200 64bit GPU and f […]
Show full quote

Goofball build ..Socket 423, 512mb 266Mhz Rdram, 1.3Ghz Pentium 4 Willy, it of course has to have a 128mb FX5200 64bit GPU and for giggles why not a 8mb cache 5400 RPM Conner HDD(Non ATA version). As for OS ..well Windows ME unpatched seems like a perfect choice. Just as a final fuck you to the user a 4x CD Rom should also be included.

As for sound . .may as well use the AC97 audio that the board should come with, not sure you can get worse than that out of the box.

As for the case .. well I cant think of a better use for one of them fluro colored clear plastic ricer cases of the day than to throw a goofball build into it, you could go further and throw unicorn vomit RGB fans into it and mod a clear side panel for some even tastier rainbow unicorn vomit led lights.

Hah, I've got a build in mind that comes uncannily close to that, just from spare stuff so it's a "screw it" build. Mine would however be a 1.5 willamette in an SDRAM board with a 5200... I don't know if I wanted to shoot myself in the foot too hard with nasty drives, but it would probably get a 20GB (damply smouldering) Fireball and a 16x CDROM as those aren't wanted for other stuff. .. though I'd be putting probably 98SE and maybe Win2k for dual boot on it, I'm not using ME even for jokes.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 691 of 749, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would love to see that. 😁

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 692 of 749, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-11-19, 22:34:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-11-15, 07:53:
Goofball build ..Socket 423, 512mb 266Mhz Rdram, 1.3Ghz Pentium 4 Willy, it of course has to have a 128mb FX5200 64bit GPU and f […]
Show full quote

Hah, I've got a build in mind that comes uncannily close to that, just from spare stuff so it's a "screw it" build. Mine would however be a 1.5 willamette in an SDRAM board with a 5200... I don't know if I wanted to shoot myself in the foot too hard with nasty drives, but it would probably get a 20GB (damply smouldering) Fireball and a 16x CDROM as those aren't wanted for other stuff. .. though I'd be putting probably 98SE and maybe Win2k for dual boot on it, I'm not using ME even for jokes.

I was going to Suggest a Quantum Bigfoot for it but the rig already has too many negatives.

Reply 693 of 749, by lepidotós

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

At risk of going too far in the direction of modern, a Prescott/Smithfield with a GTX 480 Ti would let you do your taxes and make s'mores on the same desk. Pair it up with that NZXT fire hazard case, an SSD because hard drives are the one thing I really am glad are gone, and any PSU labelled "90 Plus", and you have a legal alternative to an Independence Day firework.

I've got a feeling this could be its own thread...

Reply 694 of 749, by kohellus@gmail.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried to fix a PS3 having a bad power supply. Did turn on for a few seconds and then powers down. I shorted the plus and minus prongs from the psu to the mobo when getting it together. It doesnt power on anymore 😀

Reply 695 of 749, by NovaCN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kohellus@gmail.com wrote on 2022-11-20, 10:50:

I tried to fix a PS3 having a bad power supply. Did turn on for a few seconds and then powers down. I shorted the plus and minus prongs from the psu to the mobo when getting it together. It doesnt power on anymore 😀

Still blows my mind to call the PlayStation 3 "retro." It doesn't feel that long ago to me but no, it's more than 15 years old at this point. What is time.

[Insert late-aughts overly-elaborate animated signature banner here]

Reply 696 of 749, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lepidotós wrote on 2022-11-20, 09:45:

At risk of going too far in the direction of modern, a Prescott/Smithfield with a GTX 480 Ti would let you do your taxes and make s'mores on the same desk. Pair it up with that NZXT fire hazard case, an SSD because hard drives are the one thing I really am glad are gone, and any PSU labelled "90 Plus", and you have a legal alternative to an Independence Day firework.

I've got a feeling this could be its own thread...

I think you're onto something here, with that build, you might as well use the cheapest and crappiest SSD you can find (just for good measure 🙃)

And bonus points if you're powering it using one of these dastardly molded Molex-to-SATA adapters that burn if even look at them the wrong way 🤣

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 697 of 749, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lepidotós wrote on 2022-11-20, 09:45:

..a Prescott/Smithfield with a GTX 480 Ti would let you do your taxes and make s'mores on the same desk.

Well said 🤣 a missed marketing opportunity.

NovaCN wrote on 2022-11-20, 13:26:

Still blows my mind to call the PlayStation 3 "retro." It doesn't feel that long ago to me but no, it's more than 15 years old at this point.

PS3 may be 15 years old, but my personal experience of Sony consoles has only reached about 20-25 years ago. I'm severely lagging, on that front. So I'm still looking forward at the PS3 as a newfangled thing which I'm yet to even try out!

There's something to be said for waiting so long that all possible options (quality/enhanced emulation, latest/best hardware options, toplists, mods, updates, ...) are on the table. And as a bonus, you get to partly feel not-so-old, because you're still catching up with 10-20 years ago.

Reply 698 of 749, by lepidotós

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
NovaCN wrote on 2022-11-20, 13:26:

Still blows my mind to call the PlayStation 3 "retro." It doesn't feel that long ago to me but no, it's more than 15 years old at this point. What is time.

I think this video has a good perspective on what "retro" would be, at least regarding game consoles.

Reply 699 of 749, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's hard to believe platforms that have programmable shaders being retro while gaming is generally stuck in a trap of just being graphically defined by programmable shaders for the past 20 years (apart from the classist raytracing novelties). The online walled gardensservices serve the larger differences than "wow graphics get pro series x 4k 60 hdr tv"

apsosig.png
long live PCem