VOGONS

Common searches

iPad Windows Alternative ?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 109, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Intel486dx33 my 6 year old7" Andriod does most of what you described and still gets updates.

My 3Ghz P4 has a comfortable keyboard and monitor to use. It awakes from sleep instantly and doesn't need to reboot for most updates.. It is running Linux Mint Debian Edition Four. I liked LMDE 4 that much I installed it on all my regular use systems including a AUSUS EeePC. I've never done that before.

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2020-11-12, 19:00. Edited 4 times in total.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 21 of 109, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use a Surface Pro 4. Love the thing to bits and probably wouldn't trade it for anything else. I mean, having a tablet run the same OS and GUI as my desktop was the stuff of my dreams back in the 90s! Back then we didn't have ultra mobile CPUs anywhere near fast enough to pull it off, so I think this kickstand equipped number muncher is just wonderful. To me, iOS and Android have always felt like amped up versions of Palm OS with slick UI animations. They're fast and made for tiny computers but don't quite do everything I want. iOS is great on my iPhone, but on an 11" screen? Nah, give me the full Winderz experience, warts and all!

Oh, and I also bring it to the kitchen and use it as an absurdly overqualified electronic recipe book, so it smells different every day. Like right now, it still smells like the spicy meat lover's lasagna I made last night. How's that for 4-D computing?

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 23 of 109, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mothergoose729 wrote on 2020-11-12, 19:00:

I haven't fully adapted to the touch-for-everything era. I also find watching movies on a tablet to not be that comfortable.

To each their own though. There are a lot of people who swear by their Apple and Android tablets.

There's a lot of users that swear AT them as well 😉

Reply 24 of 109, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have some old LG Android 7" tablet. The benefits is that I could play Rayman Jungle Run / Fiesta Run on it. I wouldn't be able to use an iPad for it, because the games are no longer in the Apple store, and you can't just download an APK and run them; after all, it wouldn't be the Apple way. The tablet is also underpowered, so the games slow down at times, which can make certain levels easier to beat. For other things, I prefer a PC. But, yeah, if waiting at the doctor's office bored out of my mind, it's fun to have a small tablet with me. Something iPad-size is too big.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 25 of 109, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-11-12, 17:24:

The Benefits of a small tablet is that it is mobile. You can take it anywhere.
Set it up on your lap, couch , bed or table. - So is a laptop

Long battery life and simple. - So is a laptop

People don’t need laptops anymore. - You are dreaming.

You can do just about everything on a tablet. - .....

This is why the iPad is so popular. .... really? Care to back this up with actual data?

It is simple and responsive, quick and easy to use. - So is a laptop

You don’t have to reboot it or wait for updates to install. - You never install updates on your iPad? Gimme a break. Large update reboots can take up to around 15 minutes to finish updating on the next reboot before you can use it again.

It goes to sleep mode and wakes up instantly. - So do laptops if you set up power saving.

Has a built in battery as an UPS. - So do laptops

With a detachable folio keyboard you can easily replace it when you want a different color or when it breaks. --- ooohhhh, shiny things - form over function.

The folio keyboard design with strong magnets is actually very sturdy and easy to type with.

easy to carry to. - So is a small laptop.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 26 of 109, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Something common is appening here as it does with most of the threads Intel486dx33 has started. ....

Reply 28 of 109, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Jokingly I suggested that Qbix add an auto-word-substitute for troll or trolling. Everytime someone uses this in threads I want it more. So how about : troll = great person, trolling: writing nicely

"You are a great person"
"I think you are writing nicely"

😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 29 of 109, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice to see Apple finally realised their iPad customers need a physical keyboard.. How many decades have 3rd parties like iLuv been supplying them?

Reply 30 of 109, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bruninho wrote on 2020-11-12, 15:26:

- Safari iOS, ofc is my browser of choice, I only test on Safari. I couldn't care less for Google and Firefox, f(expletive) them.

You don't test on the browser with the largest market share in the world, nor even any desktop browser, and you don't see that as a problem? I have no great love for Google, but how can anyone ignore Chrome, completely ignore Windows (still the number one O.S. worldwide) and still think of himself as a professional Web developer? If there are many Web developers like you, no wonder usability on many sites has gone to the dogs!

Reply 31 of 109, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

He is only testing Safari because Apple doesn't allow different browser engines on their OS.

Of course, if you're a big Apple fan, you see that as a good thing.

And here I am, making sure my sites will still somewhat work on IE11, because some companies are still using it.

To me, Safari is the worst modern browser with it's weird quirks that Apple's WebKit engine sometimes has. It's nowhere near as bad as IE, but still annoying.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 32 of 109, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-11-12, 21:03:

The folio keyboard design with strong magnets is actually very sturdy and easy to type with.

To be honest the current Win-10 tablet mode is very cumbersome compared to iPad IOS or Android.
The entire MS-Windows Win-10 Tablet mode GUI need to be re-thought out.

My quest for the perfect small Windows-10 laptop has lead me to the Dell 2-in-1 ( 10-inch ) laptop which was too heavy
And lacked quality specs compared to the iPad.

I also tried an Asus 10-inch notebook which lacked iPad quality and specs.

So yes, a small 9-inch windows tablet with Spec similar to the iPad at about the same sale price would be nice.
Notebook or Tablet with good quality folio type keyboard

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-11-13, 18:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 33 of 109, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-11-13, 13:11:
To be honest the current Win-10 tablet mode is very cumbersome compared to iPad IOS or Android. The entire MS-Windows Win-10 Tab […]
Show full quote

To be honest the current Win-10 tablet mode is very cumbersome compared to iPad IOS or Android.

My quest for the perfect small Windows-10 laptop has lead me to the Dell 2-in-1 ( 10-inch ) laptop which was too heavy

So yes, a small 9-inch windows tablet with Spec similar to the iPad at about the same sale price would be nice.

You fail to qualify this post by not mentioning the quality and specs you are referring to.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-11-13, 18:19. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 35 of 109, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-11-13, 13:33:

Yeah, and where is the Microsoft answer to Apple Car play ?

Whats that got to do with anything? MS priority isn't music.

Reply 36 of 109, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-11-13, 13:35:

Even though you are right, I don't see its relevance in this thread, but Car Play is not primarily about music 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 37 of 109, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
640K!enough wrote on 2020-11-13, 06:09:
Bruninho wrote on 2020-11-12, 15:26:

- Safari iOS, ofc is my browser of choice, I only test on Safari. I couldn't care less for Google and Firefox, f(expletive) them.

You don't test on the browser with the largest market share in the world, nor even any desktop browser, and you don't see that as a problem? I have no great love for Google, but how can anyone ignore Chrome, completely ignore Windows (still the number one O.S. worldwide) and still think of himself as a professional Web developer? If there are many Web developers like you, no wonder usability on many sites has gone to the dogs!

I don’t test because I do not need. I don’t care. I chose to ignore Google and Windows because they simply suck. I am yet to hear a complaint about my work, never heard any, never tested my sites in Chrome or Windows. Do you realize that both Chrome and Safari use a slightly different version of Blink/Webkit? Edge too? The best thing that happened to me was having the three major browsers using almost the same rendering engine! I don’t need to test! I do not need Windows 10 anymore 😉

And my workplace since one year ago decided to stop supporting IE, it’s super dead now. Whenever someone appears requesting support for that dinosaur, we just tell them to use Firefox or Edge.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 38 of 109, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-11-13, 13:35:

“Car play” is mainly about navigation and communications. ( email and text and phone calls )
Not just music but Microsoft has all this stuff in there App Store too.

Reply 39 of 109, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-11-13, 13:11:
To be honest the current Win-10 tablet mode is very cumbersome compared to iPad IOS or Android. The entire MS-Windows Win-10 Tab […]
Show full quote
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-11-12, 21:03:

Personally I don't use tablet mode ever... and I dislike Apple's current dumb interface as well.

Both are way more cumbersome to use than Windows regular desktop mode.

You are complaining about weight of the windows devices... my suggestion is to grow some muscles. Even my regular 14" Dell laptop is very light. The 12" 2-in-1 Dell laptops are even lighter. If you are complaining about something that light then that is way more powerful than a current iPad could ever hope to be, then have fun with your non-upgradeable tablet that doesn't have a keyboard or touchpad built in.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-11-13, 18:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK