VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by texterted

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Guys

One of my friends asked me to help him find the title of an old magazine. It's possibly a UK publication and from the 1980's.

Here's what he remembers....

I am trying to track down the name of an old magazine and wonder if you either remember it or can point me at someone who might?

I suppose the best way to describe it is that it was a computer puzzle mag, the articles were problems to be solved by programming. I seem to remember you could submit your program and whoever sent in the best or most elegant solution won and their code was published.

It came out at a time when most of us who had computers were looking for reasons to write code if you didn't have a project or idea on the go. The puzzles were graded in difficulty from the easy, calculate the height of a lighthouse given you're 50 meters from the base and the angle to the top of the lighthouse is 58 degrees, to more complex problems.

So, if anyone has any idea? Please post it and I'll pass it on.

Many thanks for your time.

Cheers

Ted

98se/W2K :- Asus A8v Dlx. A-64 3500+, 512 mb ddr, Radeon 9800 Pro, SB Live.
XP Pro:- Asus P5 Q SE Plus, C2D E8400, 4 Gig DDR2, Radeon HD4870, SB Audigy 2ZS.

Reply 1 of 2, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is not what you after but INPUT magagine is from that era and it is fantastic. I've got the whole collection.It is available in pdf format legally at archive.org https://archive.org/details/Input_Vol_1_No_01 … ll_Cavendish_GB

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 2 of 2, by texterted

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you, I've passed it on.

Cheers

Ted

98se/W2K :- Asus A8v Dlx. A-64 3500+, 512 mb ddr, Radeon 9800 Pro, SB Live.
XP Pro:- Asus P5 Q SE Plus, C2D E8400, 4 Gig DDR2, Radeon HD4870, SB Audigy 2ZS.