8-Bit Guy video's are becoming a chore!

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 87, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Hezus wrote on 2021-01-14, 10:35:
As for the topic: I've always enjoyed 8 bit guy videos and I still do. I wouldn't say he has lost his passion, especially when h […]
Show full quote

As for the topic:
I've always enjoyed 8 bit guy videos and I still do. I wouldn't say he has lost his passion, especially when he's talking about the games he is programming. I guess sometimes you'll have to cover something you're less passionate about.. his income depends on it, so he doesn't have the luxury of waiting for something better.

His presentation style isn't as good as some other YTs, imho, but it has some charm to it. His whole appearance is prototype dorky (including white socks and sandals) and he just doesn't care (or doesn't notice, 🤣). He has his audience that shares his nerdy pleasures and it's all fine. That's the great thing about YT.

I find myself less interested in retro tech video's because I've seen most of it by now. I just can't watch another generic 486 being put together. I still watch most LGR videos because he often has unique stuff and I like his style. He's just funny and pleasant to listen to. I also enjoy episodes of Tech Tangents or Adrian's Digital Basement where they delve deeper into technical topics, to actually learn something instead of just being entertained.

Exactly the same here. I skip many of the usual retro videos, except the topic seems new or interesting to me. One thing I do watch for just letting my brain float is Shovelware Diggers by fellow Vogons member Chris Asick, aka Ancient DOS Games. Him reviewing random shareware programs is just zen-like and I remember quite a few of those shovelware titles myself.

TechTangents is always quite in depth and interesting, too, as you said. And for all non-computery stuff of course Technology Connections, who was mentioned before as well, I think.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 81 of 87, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hm. Maybe.. Maybe we're just getting old?

I mean, I'm visiting Vogons since roughly 2005 or so and I noticed that the enthusiasm has declined a bit since.

The atmosphere here hasn't become bad in any way, no, that's not what I mean.

Vogons is still a friendly place with awesome people. It's just..
I remember times when people were really excited and enthusiastic.
Now the people are a bit more.. uhm. sedately!?

So could it be that we're slowly on the way of being the grumpy old people our parents warned us about? 😉

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 82 of 87, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2021-01-15, 15:59:
Hm. Maybe.. Maybe we're just getting old? […]
Show full quote

I mean, I'm visiting Vogons since roughly 2005 or so and I noticed that the enthusiasm has declined a bit since.

So could it be that we're slowly on the way of being the grumpy old people our parents warned us about? 😉

I think it's a mixture of some of us getting older and the fact that Forums are not the primary social media spot for most people anymore. I see plenty of enthusiasm, I just feel it's a lot more low key or what some call "mature" compared to the old days.

I used to be a lot more insane with even bigger walls of text over things in my 20's. My build log thread would have been as big as a "Fixing and Upgrading PC"s For Dummies Book". Not to be a meritocrat but I might have been one of the first people to collect x86 IBM Compatible PCs - I Started in 2001, technically 1997 if you count my Tandy 1000 SX that I had. That's over 20 years ago. I was in my Teens. Now I'm almost 40. I have to be careful how much stuff I stick my hands in these days because vintage computers are just an escape from daily life, and something else to do when the Rock Band is not active.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 83 of 87, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Show full quote

what do you mean "getting old", maybe we are just old x3

a lot of people probably also just have less time for it nowadays but still want to share.

Reply 84 of 87, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
imi wrote on 2021-01-15, 17:29:
Show full quote

what do you mean "getting old", maybe we are just old x3

a lot of people probably also just have less time for it nowadays but still want to share.

'Vintage' is a much better euphemism 😀

Anyway... I'll take 8 bit guy videos over LTT any day of the week

P1: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodoo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2-V2: Dell Dimension - 400 Mhz, Voodoo2, 256 MB
P!!! Custom: 1 Ghz, GeForce2 Pro/64MB, 384 MB

Reply 85 of 87, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Less enthusiasm is easy to explain. 20 or 30 years ago, a lot of things were poorly documented, especially online....so it was exciting to uncover things and do stuff that had never been tried before. Just about every possible angle has now been exploited, and now every joe schmoe can easily find anything they want to know on the internets.
There are other factors too. The hardware that I'm into (80s and mid 90s), is pretty much unobtainable at reasonable prices and what's left usually needs some work.
Generally these days when I make an interesting discovery I will not discuss it publicly, because some asshat ebay investor will ruin it for me.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 86 of 87, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think people just like keeping to themselves with hobbies these days. They post if they need troubleshooting help or advice, but stay mostly silent when everything is going well.

I totally get that, there are alot of discoveries and fun things I learn/do in this hobby that honestly, I'm just...too lazy to post about I guess.

Social media is probably another part of it. Being a YouTube really required alot of time and energy. My understanding is it tends to wear on people very quickly.

Reply 87 of 87, by held

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bondi wrote on 2021-01-08, 13:33:

I'm surprised to read this as Dutch are known to speak English very well and even to be the best non-native English speakers in terms of accent as well.

That might be true as hell, but I can't get used to the accent. Its like sand in my food.

aleksej wrote on 2021-01-14, 09:36:
held wrote on 2021-01-07, 21:38:

I will try watching OLDROBOT, although I must say the only Russian word I recognize is скачать

There is snake in the flower. Beware if you see whole phrase: скачать без регистрации и СМС. 😉

🤣 Indeed my friend