Common searches

Let's talk about our hated trends

Topic actions

Reply 140 of 161, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I grabbed a curved 27" AOC during lockdown because it was all I could get my hands on in a hurry - I love it. Not a huge amount of curve on a screen that size but it's not warped; I won't be going back to flat.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 141 of 161, by BardBun

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I hate how slowly CDs and Diskettes as well as some DVDs and other old media are starting to die due to deterioration.
And how you gotta create image files of them to keep them preserved but then get cucked by the copy protection x.x

Reply 142 of 161, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BardBun wrote on 2021-01-26, 21:01:

I hate how slowly CDs and Diskettes as well as some DVDs and other old media are starting to die due to deterioration.
And how you gotta create image files of them to keep them preserved but then get cucked by the copy protection x.x

I see it as an opportunity to digitize the copy protection if possible. I have played Freddy Pharkas on my vintage stuff using Adobe PDF for the Modern Day book of Health and Hygene in Windows 3.1.

For me the below is more a minor annoyance with a pleasing side effect.

My OLD trend that bugs me is the flame retardant plastic that Nintendo, Apple, NEC, Sony, and a few others were using at the time that some element either evaporates or degrades and causes it to crumble. I'hve had an old Mac, an old MacBook, a Super Nintendo, and of course all my NEC versa suffer from it for the same reason. I read somewhere it was actually flame "retardant"/"repellant" plastic or something like that, that was a Japanese standard at the time - and one of the chemicals either evaporates or degrades. The Minor annoyance is the thing crumbles like a cookie if you mishandle it in any way past about 15-20 years old. The thing is, that chemical that evaporates or degrades MIGHT be the very thing that gives it that preferred property back int he 90's - from fixing multiple NEC Versa with Baking Soda and Cyanoacrilate (Super Glue) - it's like Welding plastic with that mixture, and it REALLY works on that stuff. Makes me wish I still had the old Super Nintendo that the entire corner broke off for the same reason.

Obviously this might have been noted early on as I had a Super NES without this issue from a later production run, and my most recent Versa M/75 does not suffer from this at all either oddly enough.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 143 of 161, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some software (such as Alcohol 120%) can create images that work with most copy protection schemes. I've played games protected by Safedisc, SecuROM and StarForce from Alcohol-created images.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 144 of 161, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr_st wrote on 2021-01-26, 23:32:

Some software (such as Alcohol 120%) can create images that work with most copy protection schemes. I've played games protected by Safedisc, SecuROM and StarForce from Alcohol-created images.

I as well have had great success with Alcohol 120 and copy protected games. It's funny none of my retail CD and DVD based games/software have failed to read. I've had some issues with some of the first burned CDs I did but they were very cheap blanks any of the good quality blanks I used still work properly.

Reply 145 of 161, by domomex89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Big Pink wrote on 2021-01-19, 16:31:

I like to think that by the end of this century steampunk will have given way to 'bluepunk'. Just blue LEDs everywhere and on everything. So retro.

Hopefully we'll get a remake of The Running Man soon in which Dynamo is festooned with incredibly bright blue LEDs. How the hell else are we supposed to know we're living in the future?

I laughed so hard at this

Reply 146 of 161, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another trend I hated happened about 1999-2000, and was strangely shaped UIs.

I mean, video players with round windows, skins that made your MP3 player have cat shape and UIs with colour schemes that made you think that blue leds are not that bad. That was the equivalent of modern day RGB leds everywhere and people thought that it made their PCs look impressive. I think that most PCs where decorated with dubious taste, and made any application less usable.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 147 of 161, by domomex89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

K-pop albums being about the size of a book and coming with so much useless junk (I actually have a couple of K-pop albums)
I know they're for collectors/fans but why cant you stick with the boring jewel cases?

Reply 148 of 161, by domomex89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
domomex89 wrote on 2021-01-30, 12:52:

K-pop albums being about the size of a book and coming with so much useless junk (I actually have a couple of K-pop albums)
I know they're for collectors/fans but why cant you stick with the boring jewel cases?

Also Kpop groups releasing a bunch of EPs and repackages.
I dont mind EPs but repackage albums? They're pointless.
Instead of making money grabbers why cant you just make a single album or make an album that is actually good?

Reply 149 of 161, by Big Pink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Zup wrote on 2021-01-30, 12:46:

Another trend I hated happened about 1999-2000, and was strangely shaped UIs.

I mean, video players with round windows, skins that made your MP3 player have cat shape and UIs with colour schemes that made you think that blue leds are not that bad.

That was the totally radical 90s for you. That look carried over into MP3 players until Apple sterilised design. It makes me think of the menu for Demo 1 that came with my brother's PlayStation. It hurts to be nostalgic for something that makes me sick when I look at it.

Attachments

• demo1.jpg
    Filename
    demo1.jpg
    File size
    86.56 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

I thought IBM was born with the world

Reply 150 of 161, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Zup wrote on 2021-01-30, 12:46:

I mean, video players with round windows, skins that made your MP3 player have cat shape and UIs with colour schemes that made you think that blue leds are not that bad. That was the equivalent of modern day RGB leds everywhere and people thought that it made their PCs look impressive. I think that most PCs where decorated with dubious taste, and made any application less usable.

and yet still a lot more usable than todays "responsive" design

Reply 151 of 161, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Two worst trends in the last 40 years....

The first one are those RGB/diode and casemodding that went on, back in the last half of the 00's. I mean. Now people are freaking sticking it on the walls!!! For what? To hide bromide yellow stuff with the colour of an old man's pee??

Secondly...
That fucking coloured apple-style plastic. It was so populair, that everyone copied Apple. Even those that made kitchen stuff. Like salad bowls and cheese cutters. It was exciting for one week, and then that was about it

Two absolute worst trends, the last 40 years, if you ask me.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 152 of 161, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brostenen wrote on 2021-01-31, 14:24:
Two worst trends in the last 40 years.... […]
Show full quote

The first one are those RGB/diode and casemodding that went on, back in the last half of the 00's. I mean. Now people are freaking sticking it on the walls!!! For what? To hide bromide yellow stuff with the colour of an old man's pee??

Secondly...
That fucking coloured apple-style plastic. It was so populair, that everyone copied Apple. Even those that made kitchen stuff. Like salad bowls and cheese cutters. It was exciting for one week, and then that was about it

I mean, I like RGB personally because having a gentle shade of pink or orange glowing in my room gives me zen vibes when I'm on the computer at night. Just kinda relaxing in the right quantity.

Most people ideally pick one or two colors and stick with it. Techtubers and real young folk like being flashy so they keep it on rainbow puke all the time 😜

Reply 153 of 161, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SodaSuccubus wrote on 2021-01-31, 16:35:
brostenen wrote on 2021-01-31, 14:24:
Two worst trends in the last 40 years.... […]
Show full quote

Secondly...

I mean, I like RGB personally because having a gentle shade of pink or orange glowing in my room gives me zen vibes when I'm on the computer at night. Just kinda relaxing in the right quantity.

Most people ideally pick one or two colors and stick with it. Techtubers and real young folk like being flashy so they keep it on rainbow puke all the time 😜

Well.... I can not deal with it. It triggers my "get the hell away" thing. Basically. When people have this in their Youtube video, were it is rainbow puke (as you perfectly describe it), then I quickly change to another video. I don't care if it is about something interresting Amiga stuff. If it is there I can't watch. I kind of feel the same, when someone have an awesomme intro, trying to lead up to some kind of awesomme video with an interresting speaking voice. And all I get, is someone sitting with no movement and just reading from a script, with a kind of monotoneous robotic way of saying things. That shit is like anticlimatic in a big way. Also. Why I don't have any intro, and I certainly do not use any script or text that I just read up from.

I remember back around 2000, when I worked at a retailer (Danish people know this seller, that are called T-Hansen), who sold all this in the form of car stuff. It was all ice blue and neon green. You were able to buy LED frames to put around the car stereo, flashing gear change knobs, and all that stuff. Then computer users began picking this up, cutting holes in their PC cases and all that. It was even a thing with LED lights in cell phones. The seller sold these antenna's for Nokia 5310 phones, that would light up when there were activity on the cellphone network. Or flashing Nokia covers, that would flash to the ring tone sound.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 154 of 161, by Big Pink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brostenen wrote on 2021-02-01, 07:06:

I kind of feel the same, when someone have an awesomme intro, trying to lead up to some kind of awesomme video with an interresting speaking voice. And all I get, is someone sitting with no movement and just reading from a script, with a kind of monotoneous robotic way of saying things. That shit is like anticlimatic in a big way. Also. Why I don't have any intro, and I certainly do not use any script or text that I just read up from.

A classic example of misplaced priorities in which more effort went into an over-indulgent, excessively long, and flashy intro than delivering the information content of the video in a concise, efficient, and engaging manner. Don't forget to smash that LIKE button.

I thought IBM was born with the world

Reply 155 of 161, by DNSDies

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1) Tempered glass on modern PC cases.
I dislike case windows anyway, but it's so much worse when they add 10lbs of weight and the chance of them getting shattered during shipping.

2) Front-mounted radiators.
Why would you want to pull heated INSIDE your case? It seems like the more logical step would be to put them on an exhaust.

3) RGB lighting
Pointless to me, since I dislike PC cases as decoration anyway. I don't mind it on keyboards or mice. My monitor, for some reason, has lights on the BACK of it. It baffles me why you'd put lights on the part nobody will see, as it's backed up against a wall in 90% of setups.

Reply 156 of 161, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I actually like tempered glass, especially tinted, just looks heaps better than early windowed cases with acrylic.
personally I don't have a single system in a case with a window yet... but my next case probably will have a tempered glass window... I think they very rarely break actually.

the second one is easy, this is more efficient than using warm air on a radiator (due to a higher temperature difference between the air and water), and the little bit warmed up air after the radiator won't hurt any components inside and will still be efficient enough to cool everything that needs airflow if you cool your main components with the water anyways those will benefit from that, but either will work fine in most cases.

RGB is something I really don't care that much about, if people like it, eh whatever... but yeah I wish there were more components designed without RGB in mind as this often leads to compromises for the sake of looks.

Reply 157 of 161, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

+1 for tempered over acrylic. Iv ordered a few cases over my life (a bit indecisive haha) and never once had a glass side panel shatter. Even from Amazon.

I know a few manufactures like Cooler Master and Fractal still make cases with solid side panels. Look for "noise dampening" cases. Those usually will forgo the glass. CM's Silencio S400 is one, and looks pretty sleek n' clean.

Reply 158 of 161, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

On the subject of bright eye-assailing blinkylights on everything, I ripped the colorful nonsense lighted fan out of my Enermax case and put lightdims over this heinously bright amber light on my NVMe-to-PCIe adapter card. I also put double layered lightdims over the Maglite-bright power and activity LEDs (seriously, they were so bright they could illuminate the room). Now all I see through the window is a single, moderate pinpoint-size amber light, and the rest of the inside is nearly pitch-black. It is *so* much less distracting it's absolutely wonderful. The replacement, unlit fan I got was a flea market find.

Why is it so hard for modern case manufacturers to offer a decent beige box case with a reasonable number of bays and NO color-cycling blinky lights or windows?

Life isn't long enough to re-enable every hidden option in every BIOS on every board... 🙁

Reply 159 of 161, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another trend I'm surprised nobody mentioned... web installers everywhere.

Maybe it's expected that a web browser installer download the last version from the web... but yesterday I had to use a web installer for a printer driver. The CD only offered the same web installer, and the web offered a "generic" offline driver (i.e.: support many printers without specific features) or the same web installer. Also, I find worrying antivirus that doesn't offer an off-line installer. When installing a new computer, I'd prefer to have the antivirus running BEFORE connecting it to network.

Also, bloated driver installations... a typical driver should only offer connection to the device, not automatic ad windows every time you're running out of ink or a new device is being released.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!